The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 37 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

What's with the apparent alarm about the "future of sailing" and the lack of interest by young people? It's an interesting discussion, but does it really matter to anyone?

Personally, I wouldn't want to see my local waters any more crowded. The less boats the better. For the boats that are out there, young or old folks, doesn't really matter to me, so long as they're not a bunch of a-holes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
What's with the apparent alarm about the "future of sailing" and the lack of interest by young people? It's an interesting discussion, but does it really matter to anyone?

Personally, I wouldn't want to see my local waters any more crowded. The less boats the better. For the boats that are out there, young or old folks, doesn't really matter to me, so long as they're not a bunch of a-holes.
If demand for sailing continues to go down, manufacturers will produce less boats. The lifestyle will become only for people like the Liptons and the wealthy.
Old 01-07-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
... ...

As for you can get a better deal buying a used boat over a new boat that is only a N. American idea. Yes if your on a very limited budget yes that can be true, But many middle class folks in Europe, NZ and Aussy are buying good cheep bluewater boats new. They must give up a lot to do so but they are ready to do so. It is sad that N. Americans do not have good information on good boats being built in Europe and other parts of the world. Any brand new bluewater boat from 250K to 500 K US is cheaper than a great bluewater boat cost 25 years ago and by far. New boats are for people with more money than sense is a truelly strange way to put it. .... As for 20 something cruising a lot of them are on new boats that cost under 200K some of these twenty somethings worked as Auto body mechanics or street cleaners but they saved, sacrificed and are sailing for real.

Cheers
Hi,

I guess that what really is important is sailing not cruising.

For cruising, except on holidays and that means 30 days a year more some week ends, it will only be possible when someone retires from work and that means older people.

In what regards sailing the numbers of sailors are growing in Europe. For instance in England between 2005/2006 and 2007/2008 it was register a 22% increase. In France the number of sportive licences between 2004 and 2007 increased every year.

http://asso.ffv.fr/ligue-idf/ligue/p...02009-2012.pdf

http://www.sports.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/statinfo05-06.pdf

Source: Active people survey 2007/2008 sport England.

I have been cruising in Europe every year and I can assure you that there are much more sailingboats on the cruising grounds now than 10 years ago. No doubt about that.

Regarding the sell of sailboats the crisis had effects and there are now less sailboats sold in global numbers but also more big boats (+45ft) sold then before.

Already before the crisis we were seeing an increase in bigger cruising boats and cruisers were already buying mostly boats of 40ft and over.

The market that had an increase (besides the one of bigger boats) is the one of the small transportable cruisers and fast daysailers/racers. Especially fast rewarding and fun boats to sail.

I had a cruising boat before retirement and I can say that does not make any sense, at least in what regards objectivity and money. Marinas are very expensive in Europe and between marina, insurance and boat maintenance the average is about 10000 euros a year. With that money you can charter for a month a new 40ft in the most nice cruising grounds in Europe and if you do that with a friend it only cost you half of that. Anyway while someone is working actively the best one can get are 30 days of holiday and many don't even manage to get that so owning a boat is not a logical thing to do and certainly not in what regards an objective choice.

That's why most Europeans only buy a cruising boat or when they retire or when they are near to retirement. Before they use extensively charting on holidays.

Most when they retire, if they can (and many can, its the savings of a lifetime) will chose a new boat, if not they will chose the more used recent boat they can afford. Nobody wants in that stage of live to lose time fixing a boat or having an old boat. Everybody wants to finally set sail and go cruising even if few will be interested in long voyages but just to enjoy sailing and life. For many that will not mean to sail many days without seeing land without enjoying good meals on a restaurant.

The other option is to have a smaller boat that don't need to be on a marina or a small racing boat. Those numbers are increasing has the sailors that sail them.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-07-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2013
Banned

Enigma0 is on a distinguished road

>You should leave the young sailors alone because honestly you have no idea what you are talking about. Everywhere I look there are young families, young women, young men really sailing all over the world and having a lot better time than you are complaining about how the young don't sail because of this or that. This generation of 20 something is the best generation of 20 something I have ever met.<

The relative few who've actually committed to sailing may well be.

Yet mourning the current mass of puffy mall-ites in an obscure forum thread is hardly harassment. Ever watch Leno do one of his Jay-walks and interviewing chance-met folk? Most of those Gens XYZ shouldn't be allowed to operate a wheel-barrow, much less vote.

That was a sensible discussive post, PCP. I did bare-boat for years in some very nice locales before committing to a buy.

Last edited by Enigma0; 01-08-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-08-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi,

I guess that what really is important is sailing not cruising.

For cruising, except on holidays and that means 30 days a year more some week ends, it will only be possible when someone retires from work and that means older people.

In what regards sailing the numbers of sailors are growing in Europe. For instance in England between 2005/2006 and 2007/2008 it was register a 22% increase. In France the number of sportive licences between 2004 and 2007 increased every year.

Paulo
This has been a great thread to hear from people sailing around the world, real observations, not assumptions.

I know sailing is alive and well on the coast of New England but it sounds like it's doing even better in other areas.

This complaint that sailing is in trouble due to the latest generation(s) is ludicris but common on the internet and is heard from a few in every generation as it ages.

Cruising may increase here in the states but it could be different than what the classic idea was say, 30 years ago(a new style of voyaging then). It will be interesting to see what happens there. A new generation of cruisers will make their own changes.

But sailing which has been around through all the trends, never a lifestyle for all the masses and never will be, is alive and well as always.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 01-08-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I moved on to my Grand fathers old sail boat when I was 18 because it was affordable housing. It was free. I had it out on the hook and worked in town. It was all I could afford. He had taught me how to use it so I started sailing around to places with a decent anchorage and little town to work in. That was 23 years ago. still have the boat on the hook and I live on when I'm not at sea on other boats. I see a lot of 20 somethings doing the same thing and hope more and more realize there is a surplus of baby boomer boats up for grabs. It's buyers market, look at that 16 year old kid from the other thead, he got one for free.
I revisited my original post on this thread to restate my original philosophy on the subject. I made an off the cuff joke yesterday about hipity hop music with some half truth thrown in to give the humor some weight behind it. That being said, there is a sh!t load of thick hulled, blue water ( by my definition) live aboards out there for under 5 grand. My boat would be hard to sell for more than 3 thousand dollars and is a few used sails away from another trip down south. Needs and wants are individual, for me, the comforts of the gadget boat is something earned through years of bare bones cruising, this way you realize 80% of the crap on the boat is just neat, not necasary. For instance, I have a thick well designed hull with no thru hulls below the water line so I should be able to float through all comers, this is a need. I have a slightly over sized rig and a strong home built rudder, I should be able to get some forward motion and steer to a destination, another need. Then I build from there. A compass makes navigation easier, Water, food, a mast head running light, an aviation style life raft an old wind surf board to paddle around on. I gutted the wire out of my boat and decided this year I'm using head lamps and 2 sticky backed lcd's painted red with nail polish for interior lighting. The only gadget on board that uses the house bank for electricity is the mast head tricolor so a flexi solar pannel matt is all the charging I need. I'm ranting on the how simple it can be, because IMO seperating needs and wants is crucial to the financially challenged youth in order to enable them to get started in the life. My take on bare bones was spawn from desire, handicapped by lack of funds coupled with the knowledege that dudes where doing it 500 years ago with more than I had at the time. K.I.S.S and "go small, go now" are more than just an acronym and mottto, they are actual truths. ...( oh yeah, the VHF, I often forget about this gadget cuz I almost never use it. It's on when I'm off shore and turned low enough hear, but I rarley hear any traffic out there and by the grace of god have never needed to call any body.)
bljones, CarpeAquam and skaterp14 like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 01-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2013

Agri is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
BTW we have seen as many young Swedes cruising as all other countries combined,
I've noticed that every Swedish women I've met in the last three years has gone sailing before they met me, and they have all been under the age of 27.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
elspru likes this.
Old 01-10-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

The best answer I can think of for this question. It is a big ocean out there and the "young people" can not afford to frequent the fancier/more expensive places and are not seen by the people that can. In addition people of different socioeconomic groups move in different circles. Just because you don't see as many young people cruising doesn't mean they are not, it just means they are not cruising where you are. That said the economy and resulting culture also effects the people who are able to cruise (of all ages). As a poor older sailor....I come across quite a few young cruisers...I also watch the rich "yachties" from a distance
aeventyr60 likes this.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 01-10-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2013
Banned

Enigma0 is on a distinguished road

Wolfenzee et al.,

Between 1950 and 1990-something, getting jobs, casual or committed, was pretty easy for anyone who didn't need to wear sandals in order to count and who could also read a newspaper story and explain it.

At least it was in North America and Europe. Now things are harsh for young and old, unless they have Paragon Credentials from a Harvard or MIT - plus ten years of specially-relevant experience, which they had somehow attained in just the past five years.

Those circles of affluence and non-affluence have always been there. There always were those 'yacht clubs' to which only the 'select' could be admitted. It's just more the case that the 'tourista effect' has closed so many other doors, and the wealthy have gotten so much more so, and more fearful to boot.
ChristinaM and peterchech like this.
Old 01-11-2013
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road

My wife, young son and I are on our boat getting ready to go. By then I'll be almost 30, but 29 still counts as twenty something.