The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 39 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree536Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post

But marketing leads people to believe that they have to have the fancy new exotically expensive stuff.....which scares away the sailors who could only cruise on a shoestring.
Perhaps it's just me, but I'd suggest that any sailor who can't see through today's marketing hype, just may not really belong "out there", anyway... (grin)
Capt.aaron likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Maybe the young get so little respect. When you go out of the way to help a young person sail You will see a few more sailors. Young people have a lot more choices than ever before it is a good thing they are smarter than ever. It takes time and $ to sail one can only do so much. When I take my dingy out to the park I offer a ride most of the time. I let one young couple 20 somethings take it for a few hours. They seem to be on the way to becoming sailors.They just bought a house. i stay in contact and they can sail from time to time. When they get ready maybe a boat will be next? Lots of boats are just rotting away. I was at a race in West Virginia and met a man that does a kind of habitat for humanity boats. The kid helps fix a boat or two the next one is his/hers fixed up by kids. Small boats, small repair bills. Sunfish and other small craft put back to use. If you want more sailors make them ! Kind regards, Lou
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 01-12-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Perhaps it's just me, but I'd suggest that any sailor who can't see through today's marketing hype, just may not really belong "out there", anyway... (grin)
That hype is what keeps the marine industry alive (the work part is kept alive by people with more money than time).....marketing hype is the foundation of our economy.......there are alot of boaters out there that do not really belong out there.
Old 01-13-2013

Simon123 is on a distinguished road

Truth is there's plenty of younger sailors out there, I'm one of them, crewed all over the Medt starting at 22 and got my first tiny little cabin boat shortly after getting back to the states. You rarely see them here because this place caters to the "must have a 40 footer with Epirb and 2 liferafts to leave the bay" type cruisers. Why come here and get yelled at about not buying things that I could never afford?

Go to the crappy marinas or look out in the anchoring fields where the rough looking but serviceable boats hang out and you'll find plenty of us younger types. I only pop up here on cold nights when there's football on and I've got nothing else to do.
Old 01-13-2013
Banned

Enigma0 is on a distinguished road

>queer 'gear' mentality among Americans<

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Huh?
I'm primarily referring to the fascination so many have for gadgets. The iPhone5, iPadx, the latest 24MP digital camera with those various accessories, or the most scary-looking firearm with the 50-round magazine - the list goes on and on.

Apparently, re that 'grandma gear' fetish, you've led a sheltered existence? Good if true. But I link 'gear' fetishes with the gadget fascinations; the phenomenae may be more than just a "lure of the 'new' and 'different'," and something deeper psychologically.

Marketing hype hooks into this psychological opening?
Old 01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma0 View Post
>queer 'gear' mentality among Americans<

I'm primarily referring to the fascination so many have for gadgets. The iPhone5, iPadx, the latest 24MP digital camera with those various accessories, or the most scary-looking firearm with the 50-round magazine - the list goes on and on.

Apparently, re that 'grandma gear' fetish, you've led a sheltered existence? Good if true. But I link 'gear' fetishes with the gadget fascinations; the phenomenae may be more than just a "lure of the 'new' and 'different'," and something deeper psychologically.

Marketing hype hooks into this psychological opening?
That gadget fascination falls into the influence of marketing industry hype. There are a number of threads in a couple of forums where I have to defend my use low tech/KISS principle/doing stuff myself etc. People have the attitude that there is something terribly wrong with doing something in a way that you have to think and/or know how things work and/or do it your self or just not have the latest,greatest fanciest etc....
I have an old wooden boat, people can't imagine why I go to all the trouble to varnish....my boat is a piece of artwork, beauty takes work (though not much if you keep up on it, MAINTAIN is the route of the word maintenance.
When I make something I often receive something I haven't figured out is an insult or compliment. People see something really nice I have made and say "Where did you get that" is that because they think I am not capable of such work, or the quality is "professional"

One nice thing about the salesman that convince the people who can afford it that they NEED the lates, greatest, fanciest.....that some really nice stuff goes on the used market for us poor sailors. Example......Radar was one of those things I figured I would get "someday...maybe".......it was waaaay down on my list of priorities. Someone got the latest greatest color display radar w/built in GPS.......he sold his SL-72plus RaYMarine, which he never got around to installing in the first place ..... complete radar, for $125

Last edited by wolfenzee; 01-13-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I have an old wooden boat, people can't imagine why I go to all the trouble to varnish
Of coarse you have an old wooden boat, you're from Port Townsend for heaven sake. And I bet dollars to donuts that you also have a beard
shanedennis likes this.
Old 01-13-2013

|I am not from Port Townsend.....actually I have been trying hard to get out of here since I got my boat. I have a wooden boat but am not what I call a "wooden boat snob" There are people who have wooden boats, keep them looking pretty, take them out on sunny days and show them off at boat shows. The boat are pristine and "historically correct". I live aboard and am finishing up getting her ready for extensive passage making. If I continue about my opinions on the culture in this town I might get someones nose out of joint. I have been here long enough, basically lived in the boatyard, to gain the skills and get what I need to get here to the point where I can sail away.
An no I do not have a beard.
Old 01-13-2013

jostalli is on a distinguished road

Why haven't we heard from the OP? I subscribed to his blog feed and he no longer posts anything (hasn't for weeks). Did he lose interest? Quit sailing? Maybe now he has more insight in to how to answer this question.
Old 01-13-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Sorry, if I offended you. Port Townsend is an interesting place with a curious wooden boat sub culture. The wooden boat festival is fun. My wife and I did notice that every wooden boat owner that had a boat on display had a beard.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.