The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree536Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Oops the programme went hay wire. I meant to end with some will have the means to take time out ocean cruising. A few will do it with low means. Probably more than used to because of things like GPS, but still a small minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I think I live in a place where loads of young people come to find cheap used sail boats, move on to them , start fixing them up and sail away. So It seem's to me like more and more young people are doing it. Maybe it doesn't happen else where and I'm seeing the bulk of it. Not the competion club sailing. The living on the sea sailing. Not the weekend warrior sailing, the Salty dog stuff, kid's that work on schooners and cattle-marans. I'm seeing a revival in the cruising world of 20 somethings. When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, cruising the Bahama's with the Grandparents, there where loads of young budget cruiser's. I couldn't wait to be old enough to do it.
Capt Len and elspru like this.
Old 06-30-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

im 16 i love sailing i can't wait till i can start cruise just got a bigger boat i know i can't afford to do every thing at one time thats why i just take it slow and soon enought i will be cruising.
Old 06-30-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
im 16 i love sailing i can't wait till i can start cruise just got a bigger boat i know i can't afford to do every thing at one time thats why i just take it slow and soon enought i will be cruising.
I love this kid. He sounds like I did at his age.

I agree with the other posters who said that the number of young people opting for the cruising lifestyle is not on the decline because there were never that many anyway. I grew up at the beach and worked at a number of marinas and only ever knew of one guy who lived on his boat, and that was only for the summer. I think that it seemed like there was a lot of sailboat activity in the 70's and 80's because fiberglass brought prices down to an affordable range. But I will venture to say that there are many more people living aboard today than ever before because of all those used boats that are now real affordable.

As for young people being lazy and unmotivated, I don't believe it, haven't seen it, and don't think that it's true. That statement has been quoted by every older generation about every younger generation since the dawn of time. What's different, is us - we're experiencing adulthood for the first time and have forgotten how irresponsible we once were. I certainly was

As a kid in the 70's, very much like smallboatlover, I would wander the docks and look at the 30', 35', 40' boats and wonder how anyone could ever afford one. I would also marvel that no one ever used them except for weekends. I thought that they were stupid. Then I grew up and realized that they were out working to afford their lifestyle... just like I do today.

Not that much has changed. Only us. The rest is just noise.
Old 06-30-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Wish I could describe the westcoast with the same glowing terms about young starting out gonnabe a cruiser types. All the ingredients seem to still be in place but sucking up to a wealthy boat owner who needs rail meat is the only game showing at the club .Stepping away must be difficult when you've put such effort into student loans, parents' aspirations ,a nearly useless degree in an unsure world. How that is that different from the world I dropped out of.? Well, I didn't have google to answer all my questions and it was uphill both ways to school.
Old 07-01-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I went to High school in N.H. and I walked through the woods ( BY choice) to get there. Since it was on the other side of Moose Hill, It actually was up hill both way's...and snowing. It was also down hill both way's.The day I graduated, I moved back to the key's to the only life I could afford. On a little sail boat. Just like the 100's if not more people I knew growing up that lived on their boats. It's just a matter of what you are exposed to I guess. In my neck of the woods there are countless people living on their boats, alway's have been.
elspru likes this.
Old 07-01-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

No instant gratification in sailing or cruising, takes lots of work! Younger folks in general want entertainment now! I am not buying into the whole money thing being the cause. I didn't have any money when i started sailing and still don't today 25yrs later, I am 37 now. From what I am reading sailing was a big part of american culture back in the 50's, 60's and 70s. Many young people were subjected to it back then and got a passion for it. I was fortunate enough to grow up in New England. My family loved the water although we did not own a boat. My grandparents had a 16ft daysailor, I sailed it every chance i got! I guess I was lucky enough to be subjected to it early in life. Todays younger generation just dont get the exposure to it as previous generations.

Sailing doesnt take alot of money, keeping up with the jones does! the perception is that sailing is a rich mans sport. Anyone pick up the lastest issue of Sail magazine? Not everyone needs or can afford a 40ft boat, a shiny new chartplotter, and powerful inboard, but many will have you thinking that. I have about $7500 total in my Alberg and would not trade it for anything. Many people today are mocked for taking the path less chosen. I sailed an old beat up wooden 19ft sharpie for many years without an engine, just because its all i had and was free. no one ever discouraged me, 25yrs later however leaving the dock in an Alberg 30 with an outboard is absurd by todays keeping up with the Jones mentality! I say sail what you got and have fun no matter what age you or your boat is!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!

Last edited by Cruiser2B; 07-01-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

The idea of what's fun has changed for kids. Few of them know how to work with their hands or find that a desirable thing to do. That's probably why more are not fixing up older boats as we used to do. They are all programmed from birth now to shoot for some career goal. Then they get in HUGE debt due to the utterly outrageous cost of the big college scam. Kids are on a treadmill in our sick society and have no time to be kids anymore.
elspru likes this.
Old 07-01-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

Love threads like this... the old farts bashing the next generation. Didn't you learn this one a while ago? Same old BS, different decade.

Aquaintances under 30 currently circumnavigating in their own boats, 2. Boats owned and sailed a bunch by friends and aquaintances 30 and under? An Etchells, a Merit 25, Moore 24, 2 or 3 Santa Cruz 27's, a Wiley 30, a Cal 34, a Freedom 34, a US 25, an Olson 25 and 30, lasers, thistles, J-24's.

IMHO the younger folks I'm friends with and sail with seem to have their show much more together than most I knew when I was their age and despite the uncertainty and college debt that they're dealing with.

Young folks also have a whole lot more things to choose from than we had in the 60's and 70's. Out here there's cycling, hiking, mountaineering, rock climbing, surfing, etc...Those were hardly on the radar around here 40 years ago.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 07-02-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2012

xantusiidae is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm 17 and a kiwi. I love sailing, especially offshore, currently cruising with my fam in the states and the next stop will be solo sailing for me!

There are plenty of us out there, at least I know a good few. A lot lack either the means or the support, or maybe (ha) just the plain old 'think outside the box of everyday life' mentality.
Then there's the others, who have bought their own yacht but things crash and the dream just fizzles out.
There are so many different things I'm sure you've all heard a million times but my point is, we're out there and will sail by you every so often in the years to come.

What I do want to say is give us a chance, if we are interested in something- talk! Even if you think we don't hear you. Some of us share the exact same passion for this life as you do- under out thick adolescent skins

Anyway, that's my piece, not so much opinionated, just raising the 'we're here' flag for ya!
smackdaddy, SebastienL and elspru like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.