The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 40 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Nah......you didn't offend me. Though the really kewl wooden boat "sub culture" isn't what it used to be and the wooden boat festival has become more of a tourist attraction/money maker. People ask me why I don't put my boat in the wooden boat festival and my response is "I wouldn't pay money so other people can pay money to look at my boat when I can park it between two plastic boats for free (well no more than what I am paying anyway) and they can look at it for free."
The kewlest funkiest people in the "wooden boat sub culture" don't have anything to do with festival.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
"I wouldn't pay money so other people can pay money to look at my boat when I can park it between two plastic boats for free (well no more than what I am paying anyway) and they can look at it for free."
Lol! I thought you said you weren't one of those "wooden boat snobs"! Calling fiberglass and composite boats "plastic" is a classic wood-snob dig isn't it?
Hull#101
Old 01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Lol! I thought you said you weren't one of those "wooden boat snobs"! Calling fiberglass and composite boats "plastic" is a classic wood-snob dig isn't it?
"technically" my boat is composite
hull is strip plank (glued and top nailed) finished with figerglass on the outside.
Also fiberglass, by definition is "Glass reinforced plastic".
Old 01-13-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hull is strip plank (glued and top nailed) finished with figerglass on the outside.
Yeah I know, but wooden boat enthusiasts say it with a sneer, and it is meant as a derogatory term where "plastic" implies cheap and flimsy.

just sayin'!
Hull#101
Old 01-13-2013

Quote:
Yeah I know, but wooden boat enthusiasts say it with a sneer, and it is meant as a derogatory term where "plastic" implies cheap and flimsy.

just sayin'!
I wasn't saying it with a sneer, I was saying it in jest.
Old 01-13-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So actually, you have a boat that was wood, and is now made of rot held together with plastic. Just kidding, I'm sure it's a "kewl Boat" those things turn to worm Sh!t pretty quick in the warmer climates. My boat was made in 1965, I've beefed it up several times with west system epoxy inside and out and has a life span beyond my imagination as I don't think we know how long west system will hold it's integrity. That being said, if , and it seems you do, maintain your boat with the right stuff you should be able to travel far in her. I live and work ( half my life) on an old steel tug, the steel guy's think us "Plastic' or " frozen snot" boats are crazy to go to sea in them. I traveld far and wide for 4 years aboard a fero cement ship that had sailed to Antarctica, so, who know's, if it floats, and floats well, go out and float around on it I say.
elspru likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 01-13-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2013
Banned

Enigma0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That gadget fascination falls into the influence of marketing industry hype.
I was actually hinting to the Dr. that the gadget and 'gear' fetishes may be a kind of unified psychosis. Wonder if anyone has ever done the work to find out if gadget nuts are also peculiar or deviant in other important ways.

Quote:
There are a number of threads in a couple of forums where I have to defend my use low tech/KISS principle/doing stuff myself etc. People have the attitude that there is something terribly wrong with doing something in a way that you have to think and/or know how things work and/or do it your self or just not have the latest, greatest fanciest etc...
I'm with you; I really dislike using something without knowing precisely what's in it and how it works. The more 'convenient' something is the greater the likelihood it's doing something you either don't need or is positively dangerous in some way. Like those cell-phone and digital cameras that embed GPS coords...

Quote:
I have an old wooden boat, people can't imagine why I go to all the trouble to varnish....my boat is a piece of artwork, beauty takes work (though not much if you keep up on it, MAINTAIN is the route of the word maintenance.
I'm far more relaxed. Polishing and all that takes away from actually using the boat for me. And from socializing. Maybe if one had children and they worked on the boat with you, that would be a good venue for a home-school environment.

Quote:
When I make something I often receive something I haven't figured out is an insult or compliment. People see something really nice I have made and say "Where did you get that" is that because they think I am not capable of such work, or the quality is "professional".
Just take it as a compliment. Most urban folk, unless they're another wood-working or wood-boat enthusiast can't really appreciate what they're looking at. Another boater or country person might be acting snide, but then it's probably just envy.

Quote:
One nice thing about the salesman that convince the people who can afford it that they NEED the latest, greatest, fanciest.....that some really nice stuff goes on the used market for us poor sailors. Example......Radar was one of those things I figured I would get "someday...maybe".......it was waaaay down on my list of priorities. Someone got the latest greatest color display radar w/built in GPS.......he sold his SL-72plus RaYMarine, which he never got around to installing in the first place ..... complete radar, for $125
Yup. The 'gotta have it' folk fill the second-hand market and stores with some real goodies. And quite a lot of not so good efforts to snare their dollars. You have to study on it, and know what you're looking at.

I hope you didn't/don't encapsulate your wood on the inside. Else that gibe about "rot held together by plastic" might come true. However, the teredoes may find the tiniest cracks or holes into which to bore, so that outside shell. must be perfect.

Last edited by Enigma0; 01-13-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2013

JamesClarke1128 is on a distinguished road

I am a young guy- I am 25, a recent college graduate, and have a decent sales job. I don't have an excess amount of money but I am not in debt over my neck, either. I live in Kentucky- there are plenty of places to sail within three hours of me, but I never knew that until I was actively looking to learn. I took ASA courses because I did not have other handy resources (aside from the library). And now, I don't have many outlets to get on the water. My peers don't participate. I don't have the financial ability to buy a boat. And, despite my knowledge of THEORY on sailing, I have less than 15 hours of experience and don't have a great way of rapidly increasing that. And to think, there are a lot of 20-somethings who would love to get involved....
hannah2 likes this.

"Living and dying in 3/4 time" -J.B.
Old 01-13-2013

Arjen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is it ? I call my own boat plastic. And hell im happy with my low maintanance plastic boat.
Old 01-13-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClarke1128 View Post
I am a young guy- I am 25, a recent college graduate, and have a decent sales job. I don't have an excess amount of money but I am not in debt over my neck, either. I live in Kentucky- there are plenty of places to sail within three hours of me, but I never knew that until I was actively looking to learn. I took ASA courses because I did not have other handy resources (aside from the library). And now, I don't have many outlets to get on the water. My peers don't participate. I don't have the financial ability to buy a boat. And, despite my knowledge of THEORY on sailing, I have less than 15 hours of experience and don't have a great way of rapidly increasing that. And to think, there are a lot of 20-somethings who would love to get involved....
Hey James, See if you can get a job near the ocean if you really want to learn to sail. I like your need though, you are moving in the right direction. Maybe in a year we will give you a working ride from the Caribbean to the Canal you find your way to the Carib. and back from the Panama and the rest would be on us. If you really want to sail you will find a real way to do so and just about screw everything else.
Good Luck