The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 41 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
So actually, you have a boat that was wood, and is now made of rot held together with plastic. Just kidding, I'm sure it's a "kewl Boat" those things turn to worm Sh!t pretty quick in the warmer climates. My boat was made in 1965, I've beefed it up several times with west system epoxy inside and out and has a life span beyond my imagination as I don't think we know how long west system will hold it's integrity. That being said, if , and it seems you do, maintain your boat with the right stuff you should be able to travel far in her. I live and work ( half my life) on an old steel tug, the steel guy's think us "Plastic' or " frozen snot" boats are crazy to go to sea in them. I traveld far and wide for 4 years aboard a fero cement ship that had sailed to Antarctica, so, who know's, if it floats, and floats well, go out and float around on it I say.
If you take a carvel plank boat stick it in the water sail it for awhile then cover it with fiberglass to fix the problems you end up with "rot held together with glue". But if in building a strip plank boat you finish it off with fiberglass (as in the case of my boat), you end up with a boat that has the advantages of wood, with out the disadvantages and the advantages of fiberglass with out the disadvantages......plus some of it's own structural advantages. I had my boat out 2 years ago, went over it from stem to stern....sound as a rock (while I was at it I added 3 layers of epoxy barrier coat).
BTW, the second owner ground off all the polyester based fiberglass and replaced it with fiberglass using epoxy resin. I have seen quite a few piles of fiberglass coated rot in the yard here, all of them were boats that had fiberglass put on "after the fact", not as part of the building process.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 01-13-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
If you take a carvel plank boat stick it in the water sail it for awhile then cover it with fiberglass to fix the problems you end up with "rot held together with glue". But if in building a strip plank boat you finish it off with fiberglass (as in the case of my boat), you end up with a boat that has the advantages of wood, with out the disadvantages and the advantages of fiberglass with out the disadvantages......plus some of it's own structural advantages. I had my boat out 2 years ago, went over it from stem to stern....sound as a rock (while I was at it I added 3 layers of epoxy barrier coat).
BTW, the second owner ground off all the polyester based fiberglass and replaced it with fiberglass using epoxy resin. I have seen quite a few piles of fiberglass coated rot in the yard here, all of them were boats that had fiberglass put on "after the fact", not as part of the building process.
True true, My good friend has a cold molded Spray replica, made out of plywood and coverd with glass that is a little brick sh!t house. Man, that dude that stripped the original poly off the planks is probably still itchy. I bet his arms still have a tingling in 'em as well. Love to see a pic. of your boat, sounds like a beaut.
Old 01-14-2013

SailNet Community - wolfenzee's Album: S/V Rover

Old 01-15-2013

Ruby Vee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
Agreed that standards of living are going down, BUt I can afford a way better life here in Panama and can scratch by with some work online.

I'm thinking it has a lot to do with inflated expectations for a higher than deserved standard of living, hence people who are almost thirty living with their parents, growing up in a zero failure world (which is not a good way to encourage hard work), and the expectation that the world owes them something (careers, high standards of living, education)

It really isn't a financial thing (I've been on both sides of the fence: student debt, long term unemployment, lacked a real job) and cruising, you have no money either way.

AMEX came out with a survey showing that young people spend tons of money on travel and luxury goods. It must be a mental thing. The ocean is pretty intimidating, not big snowboard jump intimidating, but kill you if it decides to intimidating. I'm guessing backpacking and all-inclusives are just easier to do.

I have to agree with the higher expectations or expectations for a higher-than-deserved standard of living. Kids move back in after college because they can't afford all the luxuries that Mom and Dad have -- and can't seem to go without, either. Even those kids with jobs don't want to live in a basic apartment with a roommate; they want to live with Dad's 60 inch flat screen TV and the hot and cold running snacks in the refrigerator while the money they earn goes toward designer clothes, shoes and bags and a nice car.

The zero failure world must have been a far more comfortable way to grow up than the way I did -- but it doesn't make for hard workers or cruisers.
Old 01-15-2013

If you are thinking about getting into the cruising world and pick up a magazine on the subject you are going to see 6 figure boats, stocked with equally expensive equipment and a matching lifestlye....something that a "young person" (or most of us for that matter) counldn't afford. Now if you hang around boats long enough you can discover that the rich ""yachties" aren't the only people that can cruise, that there is cruising "sub-culture" that live at the other end of the economic ladder. But if the appearances put forward by marketing has dissuaded you from even considering it....
Old 01-15-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Vee View Post
I have to agree with the higher expectations or expectations for a higher-than-deserved standard of living. Kids move back in after college because they can't afford all the luxuries that Mom and Dad have -- and can't seem to go without, either. Even those kids with jobs don't want to live in a basic apartment with a roommate; they want to live with Dad's 60 inch flat screen TV and the hot and cold running snacks in the refrigerator while the money they earn goes toward designer clothes, shoes and bags and a nice car.

The zero failure world must have been a far more comfortable way to grow up than the way I did -- but it doesn't make for hard workers or cruisers.
I bet you joined sailnet just so you could post this. It's OK we all love talking about ourselves and passing judgment on others, that's why THIS THREAD JUST WON'T DIE

Be careful with broad generalizations like this b/c guess who's gonna have to pay for your Medicare and Social Security buddy, even as statistically, over-65 year olds tend to vote for tea partiers who want to take away the very benefits they have themselves received and which the young are currently paying for. The attitude of that generation seems to be "we can't afford it... for everyone younger than me that is. And don't you dare try to raise taxes to help pay for my generous benefits!"

You better hope the millions of young people out there aren't as spoiled as you think, they might start voting that way...
Old 01-15-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClarke1128 View Post
I am a young guy- I am 25, a recent college graduate, and have a decent sales job. I don't have an excess amount of money but I am not in debt over my neck, either. I live in Kentucky- there are plenty of places to sail within three hours of me, but I never knew that until I was actively looking to learn. I took ASA courses because I did not have other handy resources (aside from the library). And now, I don't have many outlets to get on the water. My peers don't participate. I don't have the financial ability to buy a boat. And, despite my knowledge of THEORY on sailing, I have less than 15 hours of experience and don't have a great way of rapidly increasing that. And to think, there are a lot of 20-somethings who would love to get involved....
Dude get a ride at a local phrf fleet for the wed or thurs night windward/leeward races. It's the best way to apply theory to practice, and cheapest way to get out on the water. Racers are generally pretty friendly on these nights, and if you just show up a little early and ask around you should have little problem catching a ride.
Old 01-15-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Dude get a ride at a local phrf fleet for the wed or thurs night windward/leeward races. It's the best way to apply theory to practice, and cheapest way to get out on the water. Racers are generally pretty friendly on these nights, and if you just show up a little early and ask around you should have little problem catching a ride.
So THOSE are the nights racers are "generally pretty freindly" ...if I had only known..
canucksailorguy likes this.
Old 01-15-2013

jostalli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
I bet you joined sailnet just so you could post this. It's OK we all love talking about ourselves and passing judgment on others, that's why THIS THREAD JUST WON'T DIE

Be careful with broad generalizations like this b/c guess who's gonna have to pay for your Medicare and Social Security buddy, even as statistically, over-65 year olds tend to vote for tea partiers who want to take away the very benefits they have themselves received and which the young are currently paying for. The attitude of that generation seems to be "we can't afford it... for everyone younger than me that is. And don't you dare try to raise taxes to help pay for my generous benefits!"

You better hope the millions of young people out there aren't as spoiled as you think, they might start voting that way...
Peter, I think you need to study before getting upset. Some of these aren't broad generalizations. It's just the way generation Y and Millennials are. I'm a Gen X but my wife is Gen Y. I train groups of new hires so I see some of these issues first hand. Watch this video. We have used this company: w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyE3VN6xbA Why Millennials Act Entitled -- Jason Dorsey on CBS Early Show
Old 01-15-2013

If you were just barely squeaking by in life you would not entertain the idea of "sailing off into the tropical sunset" except as a distant dream. If such a miserable life costs so much...something as wonderful as that must be waaaay more expensive right? So people don't even try and explore the possibility, if they did they would find out it is possible to live a better life for less.
canucksailorguy likes this.