The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 42 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
If you were just barely squeaking by in life you would not entertain the idea of "sailing off into the tropical sunset" except as a distant dream. If such a miserable life costs so much...something as wonderful as that must be waaaay more expensive right? So people don't even try and explore the possibility, if they did they would find out it is possible to live a better life for less.
Again, It has nothing to do with expensive or not expensive. What it has to do with is a rare desire so strong you lay awake at night thinking about it every night. Everyone has big dreams and they are just that big dreams. If it means everything to you to sail to distant lands you will find away. I see the 20 somethings that have done it myself included 40 years ago and that has to be the only goal. They have it planed out and get it done one step at a time and not much else gets done in life. Those who do and don't explore the possibility 99.9% of them do not have the desire it takes.

You have a great boat you are working on, I hope it is being worked on for one thing, to sail to distant lands if that is what you want. If your more interested in sailing it from 2 PM to 4:30 PM on the summer winds of PT back and forth in front of town chances are great you won't make the grade.

It takes so much desire to do it at 20 something but it is being done by a fair amount of them, as many as ever.

Cheers
bljones and peterchech like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
If it means everything to you to sail to distant lands you will find away. I see the 20 somethings that have done it myself included 40 years ago and that has to be the only goal. They have it planed out and get it done one step at a time and not much else gets done in life. Those who do and don't explore the possibility 99.9% of them do not have the desire it takes.

It takes so much desire to do it at 20 something but it is being done by a fair amount of them, as many as ever.

Cheers
Hannah,
THIS may be the most valid observation in this thread, as it is an opinion backed by both current and (ahem,) historical experience. Some of us, myself included, haven't got the anecdotal experience to be able to accurately view then and now. Well put.
elspru likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClarke1128 View Post
I am a young guy- I am 25, a recent college graduate, and have a decent sales job. I don't have an excess amount of money but I am not in debt over my neck, either. I live in Kentucky- there are plenty of places to sail within three hours of me, but I never knew that until I was actively looking to learn. I took ASA courses because I did not have other handy resources (aside from the library). And now, I don't have many outlets to get on the water. My peers don't participate. I don't have the financial ability to buy a boat. And, despite my knowledge of THEORY on sailing, I have less than 15 hours of experience and don't have a great way of rapidly increasing that. And to think, there are a lot of 20-somethings who would love to get involved....
When the cold ends and it warms up we will get ready to go. I am older but young enough. Look on the Cave Run on the web. No one is active in the cold stay in touch I have seen you on the Ky thread here also. Regards, Lou
Old 01-16-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Cheers
True that. If anything, the latest generation of voyagers are pushing the extremes. Cold weather sports, just like sailing, are as popular as ever with young people. However there seems to be a new interest in combining the two, sailing and ice.

I met this boat in Rockport Harbor last winter checking into customs. They'd come in from Canada having just crossed the North Atlantic from Holland, around the first of the year.

The two girls got out and shoveled the docks for their dad, and then built snowmen. They were headed south along the coast and would close their Atlantic circle back in Holland. I asked the dad if he wanted any info on harbors to the south that I may help with. He thanked me but nonchalantly said he was all set, "We've done this before,...."

Those two in the red suits are the current generation of sailors.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 01-16-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Again, It has nothing to do with expensive or not expensive. What it has to do with is a rare desire so strong you lay awake at night thinking about it every night. Everyone has big dreams and they are just that big dreams. If it means everything to you to sail to distant lands you will find away. I see the 20 somethings that have done it myself included 40 years ago and that has to be the only goal. They have it planed out and get it done one step at a time and not much else gets done in life. Those who do and don't explore the possibility 99.9% of them do not have the desire it takes.

You have a great boat you are working on, I hope it is being worked on for one thing, to sail to distant lands if that is what you want. If your more interested in sailing it from 2 PM to 4:30 PM on the summer winds of PT back and forth in front of town chances are great you won't make the grade.

Cheers
Good points all, but based upon what I've seen up and down the East coast over the past 35 years, I'd have to disagree with your last sentence... If we're talking about young people heading south in modest boats for a winter sabbatical - which so often represents for East coast sailors the beginnings of more extended cruising - IMHO there are definitely fewer people under 30 doing so now, than there were back when I started out in the delivery business...

If you talk to a guy like Jeb Brearey - who has been the dockmaster at Beaufort Town Docks for the past 3 decades - he would agree... Beaufort has always been one of the most popular and welcoming gathering places for cruisers - especially those out there on modest budgets - on the ICW... And, back in the days prior to cruising rallies like the Caribbean 1500, or NARC, it was THE staging area/departure point for boats headed for the islands...

Jeb will tell you that 25 years ago, every October the phone calls would start coming in... Young sailors calling to ask how many boats were gathered at the docks, whether anyone was looking for crew, etc... Or, people would simply arrive by Greyhound (remember those?) with a sea bag, and take their chances... That's all changed now, of course, but Jeb would say he probably hasn't gotten one of those phone calls in at least a dozen years, and quite likely more... Not to mention, I was really struck hanging out with the Caribbean 1500 fleet in Hampton 2 years ago, how few young people were represented among the crews aboard those boats... And, when we stopped in Bermuda, the only crew of youngsters we met - fresh out of college - were sailing a 50' Orion, worth several times the value of my own boat... (grin)

I'd liken it to the sort of changes that have taken place since I was young... For example, during my college years, I hitch-hiked virtually everywhere I travelled, many trips cross-country, and all over the West with a pair of skis... These days, it's simply a different world, virtually no one travels like that anymore... I'm not "blaming" today's young people for their apparent unwillingness to travel in such a fashion anymore, the world has simply changed, is all, doing so is no longer practical...

Sure, there are still a number of young folks "out there", no question, in places like the Florida Keys, in particular... But in a popular cruising ground like the Bahamas, it's rather stunning how much of an Old Farts Central it has become, where one can spend a winter, and count the number of cruisers under 30 they've met on one hand...

Hell, sometimes it seems they're almost as rare as cruisers flying a spinnaker... (grin)
peterchech likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 01-16-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Good points all, but based upon what I've seen up and down the East coast over the past 35 years, I'd have to disagree with your last sentence... If we're talking about young people heading south in modest boats for a winter sabbatical - which so often represents for East coast sailors the beginnings of more extended cruising - IMHO there are definitely fewer people under 30 doing so now, than there were back when I started out in the delivery business...

If you talk to a guy like Jeb Brearey - who has been the dockmaster at Beaufort Town Docks for the past 3 decades - he would agree... Beaufort has always been one of the most popular and welcoming gathering places for cruisers - especially those out there on modest budgets - on the ICW... And, back in the days prior to cruising rallies like the Caribbean 1500, or NARC, it was THE staging area/departure point for boats headed for the islands...

Jeb will tell you that 25 years ago, every October the phone calls would start coming in... Young sailors calling to ask how many boats were gathered at the docks, whether anyone was looking for crew, etc... Or, people would simply arrive by Greyhound (remember those?) with a sea bag, and take their chances... That's all changed now, of course, but Jeb would say he probably hasn't gotten one of those phone calls in at least a dozen years, and quite likely more... Not to mention, I was really struck hanging out with the Caribbean 1500 fleet in Hampton 2 years ago, how few young people were represented among the crews aboard those boats... And, when we stopped in Bermuda, the only crew of youngsters we met - fresh out of college - were sailing a 50' Orion, worth several times the value of my own boat... (grin)

I'd liken it to the sort of changes that have taken place since I was young... For example, during my college years, I hitch-hiked virtually everywhere I travelled, many trips cross-country, and all over the West with a pair of skis... These days, it's simply a different world, virtually no one travels like that anymore... I'm not "blaming" today's young people for their apparent unwillingness to travel in such a fashion anymore, the world has simply changed, is all, doing so is no longer practical...

Sure, there are still a number of young folks "out there", no question, in places like the Florida Keys, in particular... But in a popular cruising ground like the Bahamas, it's rather stunning how much of an Old Farts Central it has become, where one can spend a winter, and count the number of cruisers under 30 they've met on one hand...

Hell, sometimes it seems they're almost as rare as cruisers flying a spinnaker... (grin)
Jon, I hear what you are saying, but. As I have said before in earlier posts "that there are less American 20 something sailors now cruising to far off places but throughout the world there are many European, Kiwi's and Aussies sailing everywhere and there is still a fair bit of N. Americans too. You can't just look in your own area of the world if you want an idea who is out there. Now that is the American way I admit, we are very closed in our thinking.

Another thing I like to say, I love this old farts central BS about old farts out cruising. When you are out sailing around the world no one but the Bumfuzzels talk that way. Out there we are all one community, young and old we help each other, we share and we all hang out and drink together.

There is always excuses for every situation one can think of. Some just want to dream to the end of their time.

Last edited by hannah2; 01-16-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
True that. If anything, the latest generation of voyagers are pushing the extremes. Cold weather sports, just like sailing, are as popular as ever with young people. However there seems to be a new interest in combining the two, sailing and ice.

I met this boat in Rockport Harbor last winter checking into customs. They'd come in from Canada having just crossed the North Atlantic from Holland, around the first of the year.

The two girls got out and shoveled the docks for their dad, and then built snowmen. They were headed south along the coast and would close their Atlantic circle back in Holland. I asked the dad if he wanted any info on harbors to the south that I may help with. He thanked me but nonchalantly said he was all set, "We've done this before,...."

Those two in the red suits are the current generation of sailors.
Exactly Tom,

This is going on all over the world and there is as much of it as I ever can remember maybe more.
I have to admit those Danish sailors shoveling docks have more you know what than I do. I promise you those two girls will be world leaders some day.

Thanks for the great pic.
Old 01-16-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Peter, I think you need to study before getting upset. Some of these aren't broad generalizations. It's just the way generation Y and Millennials are. I'm a Gen X but my wife is Gen Y. I train groups of new hires so I see some of these issues first hand. Watch this video. We have used this company: w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyE3VN6xbA Why Millennials Act Entitled -- Jason Dorsey on CBS Early Show
It's a bit more complex than that. If anyone is willing to sit through a full hour, Elizabeth Warren does a fantastic job describing what's been happening to the middle class from the 70's up to today.

But to summarize some, in the 70's durable goods(TVs, fridges, sofas) cost a lot more but people had far fewer month to month expenses(insurance, housing, debt). So back then budgets were far easier to be flexible with.

Today people are pretty much locked into month to month expenses with no flexibility. Most simply can't cut anything back in order to take time off and sail away to someplace.
Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
It's a bit more complex than that. If anyone is willing to sit through a full hour, Elizabeth Warren does a fantastic job describing what's been happening to the middle class from the 70's up to today. The Coming Collapse of the Middle Class - YouTube

But to summarize some, in the 70's durable goods(TVs, fridges, sofas) cost a lot more but people had far fewer month to month expenses(insurance, housing, debt). So back then budgets were far easier to be flexible with.

Today people are pretty much locked into month to month expenses with no flexibility. Most simply can't cut anything back in order to take time off and sail away to someplace.
That last paragraph has nothing to do with young people out sailing or anyone for that matter. If your locked into month to month payments and your thinking about sailing around the world you aint going to make it and you probably never intended to set sail in the first place, you were just kidding yourself.

If your wife or spouse is not interested in sailing all over the world then you better divorce that person or your dream of sailing off into the sunset was just a bunch of nothing.

If your kids are not interested you are in big trouble, give up the dream or make the kids go screaming and kicking.

If you are 20 something and your partner is not so interested get rid of them that should be easy at 20 something.

You got to be true to your dream and your goal. That is why there are so few anybody sailing around the world or climbing Everest or surfing 50 foot waves.

So if your locked into month to month payments chances are you were just not cut out to sail all over the world.

Here are some 20 and 30 something singles and families that I know cruising right now. I know many more but most do not have an interest in having a blog or website.

www.voilememagazine.com/ please scroll down three articles in this magazine and you will see their vid. This young family is doing sea trials in their new Boreal. They are getting ready to sail the world.

www.voyaboreal.com This family is about to head for the south polar regions last I checked they were in the Fauklands.

Équipage - Juan Sa Bulan Again young single 20 somethings having the time of their life. For those who are interested the 3 sites I just gave are sailing expedition boats like we are having built. All these cruisers love cold weather that's why they had their boats built. And believe me if these families didn't have the money to have a new boat built they still would be out there sailing just in a lesser boat. We want our new boat for the atolls of the Caroline's and the jungle rivers of Borneo. We are warm weather freaks. We leave in June from France.

JasonRose.com » The sailing adventures of Jason Rose and his Down East 32 Cutter Bodhran as they travel together around the world I love this guy and all his young cruising friends. He is an American as are lots of the other young cruisers you see pictured on his site. I tell you this guy and all of these youngsters found a way to do what they are doing. And I know like all of us who cruise we all sacrifice a lot to be out there but that's what we want more than anything else.

Month to month payments is keeping people from putting money into a cruising life style. Please!

I'm not trying to be cruel or cool just trying to tell you it can be done as long as you don't have excuses.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You got to be true to your dream and your goal.
Most people's dream and goals are what society has told them should be their dreams and goals since they were toddlers. In the 70's those dreams didn't come attached to large monthly payments. This meant people could skip out and go on a cruise from time to time.

Today a 20 something that wants to raise a family: you're a bad parent if you don't send your kids to pre-school(that's $$). Houses in good school districts are big $$. Health insurance so you don't bankrupt the family if you get sick is big $$(and even then you're not safe). That college education so you have a decent job comes attached with big loans.

The average "trying to be responsible" adult is getting hit with a lot more of their take home pay just to stay afloat than people were 30 years ago.

Now that doesn't mean that are being more responsible. It's just that everyone has told them "this is the route you need to take". I think at some point we might see another generation come along that ends up bucking the trend.