The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 45 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Let me post a little of what I have noticed in 20 to 30 somethings cruising around the world. I'm not talking about those who can not get away for all the lousy reasons and poor excuses given on this thread.

Most serious young cruisers we have met have worked in high end blue collar jobs and not a degree job, though many have degrees to go along with their trades they have no need to use them.

We have met many over the years who work seasonal on tugs as deck hands, cooks and engine mechanics. They sail as far as they can on what money they have saved then put the boat away in places like New Zealand and go back to work on the tug for 6 months. They then sail for 6 months at a time when not on the tug.

The best job we have seen is marine diesel mechanics that are certified. They always have had work where ever they go be it work on other cruisers boats or as soon as they enter another port there is always work for as long as they like. Usually the companies can get that mechanic a working visa right off the bat for 6 months of work. I have seen this many times over the last 40 years of cruising.

Another great job and in demand is work on the worlds oil rigs. Last time I looked there were over 2000 jobs on rigs around the world at any given time. We once met a solo sailor in his late 20's who if I remember right worked 6 weeks on, 7 days a week, 12 hour shifts for more money than a GP doctor makes. He then had 6 weeks off and flew to his destination of choice in a 1800 mile radius of where his job was, free. About every 2 years he quit the job to sail for 18 more months and still had lots of money left over. My 20 year old son just graduated from a big engine diesel school that cost us about 40 K to put him through it. He has had many offers of jobs like I mentioned above around the world. Like I say there are so many of these jobs that are just right for properly trained 20 somethings

Others we have met in their 20 and 30's had their own businesses which they sold, took the money and went sailing. One example, we met a Belgium guy who started his own auto body shop and sold it 7 years later, bought a nice 35 foot modern design euro boat which is affordable and off he went to the S. Pacific.

I don't recall many young hi tech people out sailing the world, know of only one lawyer who quit his profession early on built a boat and was off cruising.

Maybe you wanna be cruisers need to re evaluate your careers. Maybe too many young people screwed up listening to your parents harp on getting a university education. I know the drill we harped for ever for the kid to go to university but now we know he made the right choice of big engine diesel school and can go back to college later if he wants after making lots of money in the next 3 to 7 years.

Best of luck.

Cheers
elspru and Sal Paradise like this.

Last edited by hannah2; 01-23-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post

The best job we have seen is marine diesel mechanics that are certified.

Cheers
What certification and schools do this? I'm curious if there's a national/international standard cert one can pursue.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013

Just google marine diesel schools. There are some on the east coast and some out west.

Our kid went to Wyotech in Wyoming for big engine diesels. This type of diesel is a bit different from a lot of marine diesels more like you find on rigs and D9 cats, some as big as a small house.

Good luck.

Last edited by hannah2; 01-23-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

I think a lot of it in the USA is that younger people just don't get outside as much. I might be accused of being an "old fart", but .. hey, I'm just not that old, and I would definitely say that there aren't as many young people outside doing things as their used to be. They don't play basketball at the courts, tennis, they don't do pickup touch football games, gone are the nerf footballs, the basketball in every young person's hands, skateboarding, ... how often do you see a gang of young people riding bicycles around where you live ? I believe that I am being objective when I write all of that, young people just don't do as much outdoors. I remember being young, we were all dark tan in the summers, all of us, because we spent so much time outdoors, how often do you see a farmer's tan on a 20 something's arm and neck these days ? Don't tell me they are just using more sun screen! I enjoyed reading the posts in this thread but I don't agree with the posts that say there are just as many American young people outdoors as their ever were, that's not true. Maybe it is true in other countries, but it is not true around where I have lived. That this eventually translates into fewer young adults sailing long distances on boats seems obvious to me.
copacabana likes this.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

In searching for a crew to sail to the tropics on my boat, the people that had the right mindset were either surfers, or skiers or rock climbers, etc.....people who DO get out, whose priorities involve enjoying life rather than economically based goals.
aeventyr60 and elspru like this.
Old 02-02-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

that is true that young people are not getting out. Their parents have them scared shitless of all the bad things that can happen to them.

My mom has custody of my twelve year old neice. It is scary to think that before mom got her.. the poor girl had never been allowed to play outside

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

I've read a lot, bot not all 45 pages of this discussion. Incredible.

There are a lot of good points and some lousy opinions of my generation which aren't accurate. Which is as to be expected. I'll feel the same way in 30 years.

Here are a few insights I thought I might share.

20-40 year-olds are learning new things. I've become a potter, welder, bike mechanic, sailor, painter, sculptor, and salesman in the past decade. Every cup in my cupboard and painting on my wall is handmade. I'm not unique. Visit your local farmers market. You'll find the under 40 crowd wants to get dirty, build from scratch. I know people who make their own beer, raise their own chickens, build bicycles and use them as their only mode of transport.

We see sailing as a huge expense. We need mentors.

If you know a young person interested, I recommend you offer to take them cruising. Then the numbers will follow.
canucksailorguy and elspru like this.

Old 02-03-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

If you listen to what marketing says, sailing is a rich man's sport to be done in "6 figure" boats and fitted out with equally pricy gadgets and gizmos. A friend of mine sailed all over the Pacific in a boat he got for free, with a single burner camp stove, gerry jug water, bucket head, hand held GPS, dysfunctional engine, sails held together with duct tape and scary galvanized rigging....the thing is he was able to do it and with an annual cruising budget of $2500/yr. But our culture is controlled by marketing....people no adays are less likely to "think out side the box".
Old 02-03-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

you make a good point.. but then look at any of the "extreme sports".. marketing would have you think that if you did not own the latest and greatest tools.. you are going to crash and burn.

I admit that I, myself, own a Carbon Fibre Mountainbike.,, but if I am honest, except for being lighter, it is really no better than the older chromemoly one it replaced (the older bike was stolen, or I would still be riding it)

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 02-03-2013

I can't say enough how much I have enjoyed this thread. So many different observations on young people today. Seems like everyone has eyes I just wonder how many of us really use them.

To Wallard, Good on ya. You sound like you are the typical young person that I see. Who gives a damn about playing BB, baseball, football oh ya today is super bowl I didn't forget but I didn't watch. There are millions of you doing great and interesting things, all of you keep up the good work.

Hey and Wolfe, you got to get off your conspiracy thing you got some hangups there. Who gives a damn what advertisers say, let the sheep follow, you just go about doing your business and get your boat ready to go. It's the only way you will stop whining is if you set sail. Oh ya hey you can do it like your friend did it but chances are you won't make it past San Fran like about 95% on that low end budget sailors with true dreams get to. Save a little more and fix your boat up to be clean, seaworthy and safe for everyone's sake who will get to know you. No one out there is a snob or very few are but you don't get a lot of cruising friends if your boat is shat hole. No one wants to get to know you because sure enough they are gonna have come rescue you sometime or another or fix your stinking engine for you. Be interesting to see if you really do it or your all hot air. I'm cheering you on.

I'm old but so ready to go cruising again, just 5 months before the new boat is ready for sea trials. Today I spent the afternoon going over the charts of the Caroline Islands, ( they aint on the East coast of the USA) I got to say google earth and charts make for a fun afternoon. It was like a wet one but like always it will be a real one for us soon enough.

Go for it young ones, let all those old ones that don't believe in you continue on like they always have with eyes that don't see much beyond their nose.

Everyone enjoy watching the super bowl
TomMaine and TheWollard like this.