The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 46 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post

There are a lot of good points and some lousy opinions of my generation which aren't accurate. Which is as to be expected. I'll feel the same way in 30 years.
I don't think you will feel the same in 30 years. Cynicism, especially the cliche' generational model, is older than baseball. It afflicts some, but not most of us.

I think you'll do well, whatever you do.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I am one of those sailing youngsters. I got my start however on rental boats that the father of the girl I was dating who had his ASA captains license. During that period I didnt go out on anything smaller than 30 feet.

I am on my 4th sailboat now all of them in the high 20's LOA and all pink slipped owned by me. I actually never put a lido to use for anything other than as a dink.

Money is certainly one issue. Between my girl and I we make a 6 figure income and the upkeep on a 28 footer can be hard. Especially when she didnt come to you in the greatest shape. Another aspect is the learning curve of maintenance, and for some the learning curve of sailing.

I recall when I purchased my current tub my Columbia I moved her from south San Diego to San Pedro since there isnt a ton of wind going that way I elected to motor most of the way and whew first two days alone at sea. On the third day I was joined by friends for the jaunt from Del Mar to Santa Catalina Island and from there to Wilmington.

On departure from Wilmington I allowed one of those friends to handle the tiller for awhile and I recall his white knuckling the tiller in blue water keeping it right on point as if it were a precision thing. Truth is on a 27 mile trip you can let the compass wander a bit, not a big deal.

Perception of the learning curve I think is another part. Laziness is another and well lets face it the ocean can smash you to pieces if it feels like it. A far cry from some of the other sports us youngsters partake in. I however cant live without sailing. Some of those most beautiful moments I been witness to were at the helm of my trusty tub.
bljones, elspru and hannah2 like this.
Old 02-15-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Welcome aboard, SirRed. Good points about the learning curve(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Welcome aboard, SirRed. Good points about the learning curve(s).
Thank you. It is fast becoming a pleasure to get to know each of you. I expect I will learn a lot from the sailors I am now finding myself in the company of.
Old 02-16-2013
Fly Fishing Maniac

WindyFly is on a distinguished road

I for sure need to go back and read the entirety of this thread. Not really being a youngster (I turn 30 at the end of March) but not being old either, all I can say about is my generation definitely has things messed up. Not because of the previous generation, not because of the economy, not because of technology.... but all these things combined. I KNOW that no matter how much I put into social security, 401k, retirement.... is useless unless I actively watch where my money goes, it will be gone before the usual retirement age. The promise I made myself when I left college (that's another story, because I am pretty smart) was that I would "retire" before I was 40. The original plan was to move to the Patagonia region of Chile and run a small scale (and affordable) fishing/snowboarding/rafting B&B/commune. All I've ever wanted out of life was for work to seem less like work. The older I grew the more I realized I have great personal skills, as well as pretty decent business skills, and figure the less you hate your job, the less that "job" seems like work. I would rather guide a drift boat taking people fishing 300+ days a year, before I would sit behind a desk for 225 days a year. When I finally figured out that living on the hook, taking people part time fishing, and working whatever else I could find to put extra money in my pocket (to save for retirement/boat repairs) really satisfied my life goals, I made the decision and that's my goal. The main problem with my generation and subsequent ones is this, we have been told that without a college education we can't make anything of our lives..... This is not true. Some of the more successful people alive right now, either do not have a college education, or at least do not have an education in their field. Not bashing traditional education, but when I went for non-linear film editing (digital) I was required to take a bunch of classes that had absolutely nothing to do with film editing. Not to mention the giant price tag that this endeavor created. After managing a number of outdoor shops, restaurants, and working almost any job you can think of, I know what I do and don't want to do. Most of my generation believes you can't have a happy life without a big house, multiple cars, a big paying job (to take care of what we're told we need, but don't actually need). It really boils down to a matter of need and want, and we've been told what most people want is what we NEED. I'm glad to throw off the shackles of the "WANT" society and realize what I need. Because what I need is piece of mind, an outdoor job instead of sitting behind a computer, and passion for what I do. I hope more people follow their hearts and realize that a $60,000 car is nothing more than a money pit unless that $60,000 doesn't really hurt your wallet.
skaterp14 and elspru like this.
Old 02-17-2013

JackandJude is on a distinguished road

I haven't read all this thread, but would like to encourage every young person to take courage and follow your dream. I am 68, been sailing since a young man of 30 who jumped in over his head and battled to stay afloat. It has never been easy, but I have sailed the world, raised my children afloat, self-educated them in a life experience never excelled. We, my darling lady and I only had one asset until we were over forty. By which time we were quite clever and skilled having done everything ourselves because we never had money even though I have worked long hours.
Somewhere on that magical voyage I became a master of ships. And now that we are older, we play with our eight grandchildren for half of the year, and sail our veteran vessel the other, still venturing to exotic rare places where Nature is supreme.
Yes, the world has changed. Man has continue to f--k it up seeking his shekels. But there is still adventure out there. There are still memories worth remembering until the last breath is expired.
So where are are you young ones? Haven't you the guts to take a chance on life. Have you been brainwashed into thinking pirates hid behind every headland? Be bold. Be brave, work hard, and above all, be smart. Don't let life slip by.
We run a website to encourage the young and young at heart. How else will we save planet Earth from man's wicked lust for more and more. It will soon be in your hands.
wind_magic, elspru and Razcar like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Authors and Filmakers
Explore - Dream - Discover
Old 02-17-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJude View Post
How else will we save planet Earth from man's wicked lust for more and more.
Really liked the post above mine except for this one line, had to mention it or I would not have felt right leaving a like on the post.

Please support my
Old 02-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJude View Post
But there is still adventure out there.
It's this. Nothing but this.

If you're a person, whether young or old, that hungers for adventure - a sailboat, whether luxurious or spartan, is pretty much the best way in the world to go find it.
canucksailorguy and Razcar like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

My take? It used to be that you could get an inexpensive boat and head out and people just looked over and smiled - "youth", they would say. Today, there's someone there to hassle you wherever you go.
You virtually cannot anchor freely in Florida - they've set up rules (the Pilot Program in five areas) to force people to anchor where THEY want you to because of the 'problems', ignoring that their problem boaters are druggies and alkies who live in Florida who would otherwise be living in an old junk car. But they call it a boating problem rather than the societal problem it actually is.
Then you get hassles from cops up and down the east coast - everywhere you go, there's two, three or more police services 'watching' what's going on.
The whole point of going cruising is for 'freedom', and the authorities are taking that away from us. How many times have you been stopped for no reason by - pick one - Homeland Security, USCG, local police, local sherrif, DEA.....I've watched, from a small anchorage, three different police units from three different agencies, all patrolling the same tiny piece of the ICW. It's insanity.
If we, as older adults in decent boats are being harassed and put out by the authorities everywhere, why in blazes would some kid want to put him/herself out for that? Doesn't matter how decent the kid is, if his boat's not up to snuff 110%, other than the USCG, he's going to get hassled just because it's what they do.
Prime example - the potty patrol. Why in blazes do we pay two cops salaries, plus the price of their boat and all the associated costs, to have them check your valves?
Stop the insanity. Then maybe kids will come back out cruising.
Razcar likes this.

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 02-17-2013

JackandJude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Really liked the post above mine except for this one line, had to mention it or I would not have felt right leaving a like on the post.
Agreed, sounds over the top. But it is what is directing the rules of our world. We have to have ways to pay our way. The world is embracing capitalism, which demands more and more buyers for it to work. We advocate a more social structure that puts Earth First, one that increases our attention to population growth, believing over-population is the crux of our problems?

canucksailorguy makes valid points. There are far more rules today. Why? Maybe because there is less space between us, less of everything in fact except pollution and more rules.

Authors and Filmakers
Explore - Dream - Discover