The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 47 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree536Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Well, one thing's for sure...the ocean is a very, very big place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
There are far more rules today. Why? Maybe because there is less space between us, less of everything in fact except pollution and more rules.
To be honest, I think there's a philosophy amongst those who seek office that they actually know better than the rest of us how to run the world. How many times - and Jack, I know it happens in Oz too - have politicians forced their way when entire towns or populations made it quite clear that they did NOT want what the politicians were serving? Too many times.
Do they not understand the term 'majority rules' in a democracy?
At the risk of offending those in the legal field here, this is a sickness that lawyers, who make up most of the political class, suffer from. They are A personality people (I thought long and hard before I chose the noun 'people' btw, rather than a more descriptive term) who, when they get into politics, think they know it all and are entitled to force their opinions on others.
Wrong. And damn it all, it's about time they learned that lesson.
If the people don't want it - don't do it.
End of rant....(sorry)
Old 02-17-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Majority is not always right. That is why we have elected officials. But who cares and who cares about the inter coastal waterway. Maybe too many folks took their freedom a little too far and now you have cops everywhere.

But this thread is about the young and why they are not out cruising which is a joke because they are everywhere in the same ratio they were 40 years ago when I started cruising and when jack and Jude started cruising. Half our cruising friends around the world are under 40 and a lot in their 20's.

Just look at the fun these kids are having. Those who want to do it do it. The rest of the human race may dream but no action. Sheep they call them.

Great bunch of young people who had the real balls to find a way.
go to youtube "sailing Russia's far east. PCP just put the vid in interesting sailboats.

Cheers

Last edited by hannah2; 02-17-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

I was leery about my last post because it was trending a bit off topic - although I wanted to say why I believed people are being turned away from cruising.
I too have seen a fair number of young'uns out here and they're having a blast. Makes me wish I had done it when I was 22 and had the opportunity. Too me another 25 years to figure it out.

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 02-18-2013

Fully Detached is on a distinguished road

Well in 2.5 years, October 2015 to be precise, the cruising world will have a young family to add to their numbers. We have finally set a date for our departure and I want to shout it out from the roof tops!!!! but I can't. not yet.
elspru and Razcar like this.
Old 02-18-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Detached View Post
Well in 2.5 years, October 2015 to be precise, the cruising world will have a young family to add to their numbers. We have finally set a date for our departure and I want to shout it out from the roof tops!!!! but I can't. not yet.
Good for you and your family. Tell us if you can how you managed to go serious cruising at a young age. Tell us how you are preparing your vessel, how you will home school, The entire families preparation. Where you are planing to go. How old are your kids?

Sounds like you are one of the few, most internet cruisers like always will fail because they really are not as interested as they say on forums.

Hey smackdaddy you been around the internet forum thing for a long time, when you going to buy a boat and do it?
Razcar likes this.
Old 02-18-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
Sounds like you are one of the few, most internet cruisers like always will fail because they really are not as interested as they say on forums.

Hey smackdaddy you been around the internet forum thing for a long time, when you going to buy a boat and do it?
You mean besides the two sailboats I already own (C27 and Spirit 17 cat)? With these and the off-shore racing I do each year - I get a pretty good amount of sailing in.

As for "long-term cruising"...I guess we'll do it when we're ready. I'm in no huge hurry.

Why do you ask?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-18-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2013

JackandJude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Detached View Post
Goodonya Fully Detached. If there is any way we can help with words of advice just ask. We're still out here doing it, albeit a wee bit slower than 40 years ago.

Yes, how old are your kids?
Seems we recall it can get harder when they're around puberty, but each family is different.
As we said earlier, we self-taught our lads, and much credit to Jude who diligently sat them down every day, mostly while we were sailing the miles. It filled in all that time as the miles ticked off.

An idea. Jude has produced an Ebook (comes paperback too) called Practical Boat Bits and Tips - filled with simple ideas that work. We'll send you a copy if you want - Email us at capjack2j (at) gmail.com if you want a copy.
Cheers from DownUnder
elspru likes this.

Authors and Filmakers
Explore - Dream - Discover
Old 02-19-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Most young folks missed the boat. All one need do is go shatter your body and mind in a war- and you'll have a bit of money, and plenty of reason to stay away from land, people, politics, etc. a profound desire for quiet and soothin sounds like wind and waves- a love of real freedom that few understand, loathing for the weak needed slaves of convenience, and the intestinal fortitude to drive on in the face of insurmountable adversity. All those make up for a lack of 36' of waterline with in mast furling, and a capt to sail your pathetic drunken a** around biscayne bay or the bajamas or bvi what have you.
Old 02-19-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
Most young folks missed the boat. All one need do is go shatter your body and mind in a war- and you'll have a bit of money, and plenty of reason to stay away from land, people, politics, etc. a profound desire for quiet and soothin sounds like wind and waves- a love of real freedom that few understand, loathing for the weak needed slaves of convenience, and the intestinal fortitude to drive on in the face of insurmountable adversity. All those make up for a lack of 36' of waterline with in mast furling, and a capt to sail your pathetic drunken a** around biscayne bay or the bajamas or bvi what have you.
A bit harsh I think.

My "real freedom" may not be your "real freedom." I kind of think it's relative to each of our personal experiences. And unless someone is actually in a position in which he or she has to test their "intestinal fortitude" who am I to say that anyone can't do it? Everyone has their own bar at which their envelope is pushed.

I have plenty ex and current military in my family and circle of friends and I thank them for helping to create a society that allows me the opportunities that in turn allow me to hire a captain to sail my pathetic drunken ass in the BVIs with in-mast furling*.

*Just an example. I captain my own boat, never sail drunk and in-mast furling isn't on my wish list.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.