The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 49 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Interesting stuff. Over on the thread (interesting sail boats) Paulo posted a vid of young people crossing from S. Africa to Brazil. Post 3867. The youngsters here should go have a look. I don't know that young couple but I'm willing to bet they had the desire to overcome every excuse I see by young people here why they are not sailing to far off destinations. Again, nothing about today's problems has anything to do with truly wanting to get out and do it. There have always been problems for each and every generation but a certain percentage of young people have over come those problems because they really wanted to do it. It will be the same 30 years from now.

About wanting to hang out in the cockpit with grandparent aged people. Maybe that is why you are not sailing. It takes a bigger mind than that to over come many of the difficulties to go serious cruising. Maybe you need to spend more time actually getting to talk with more people of any age who are serious cruisers than spending time on the internet, you should be walking the docks of marinas where people really sail. What you will find that there is no age bias within the serious cruising community. We all have the same interest and desires and that is why we are actually out cruising. I realize young serious sailors need time with other sailors their age and they always find much time to do so. But they also have time to be apart of all the cruising community as we old farts have time for the young and don't think twice about someones age. Thinking like that sounds like the famous Bumfuzzels the famous 3 ring circus of the cruising world.
I'm not trying to be a jerk or arrogant here I just want many of the young and the old here that are always bitchin that you are not looking for a solution you are only making excuses.

For a lot of the young want to be sailors from N. America you should be reading the Interesting sailboat thread and learning why there are more Europeans young sailing around the world. They have discovered the new breed of boats around 10 meters long and saving their money to buy them then go live their dream. These boats have been around long enough now that in Europe I bet you can pick up a good used one for for a lot less than all the old junk that is left on the N. American market that one has to put so much into in cost and time and still only have half the boat of the European boats. I couldn't think of a better solution for a young person than saving enough money to go to Europe buy a modern designed used boat and taking off to far off places from there. Paulo knows his stuff an can answer any questions on boats posted that might work for you in your price range. Do the research, set goals and do it.

Remember I did it when I was in my twenties and I know what it was like sailing all over the place. It is the very best time of your life to go but excuses I hear on this thread make me believe many of the young just dream and dream and dream. Back in the 70's there were also many of the young that just dreamed too, they never did much but that but that will always be.

Good luck, we love seeing young cruisers out there be it young families, young couples, two young guys, two young gals or young single handers. We drink together, we surf together, play music together, sail to destinations in the same weather window and we talk story together all learning so many interesting things about life from each other.

Cheers.
Faster likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I guess you are directing a bunch of that at me. And I will politely suggest you work on your reading comprehension. I will furthe say- why in gods name would I walk docks where people "actually sail" when I would way rather

JB welding the cap back together for the JB weld hardner

Flying fish on deck in the AM. As it should be

Partial finger amputation. The blood running down the cockpit drain alone at night in the ocean was a once in a lifetime (hopefully ) photo op. thankfully I had coffee- note the upper right corner...

Old 02-20-2013

Or get my 19.5 feet of waterline going fast

Or balance my boat and trim my sails so she does everything while I chill on the foredeck and smile

Or go places where I can take pictures of my beautiful boat in a beautiful sunset

Old 02-20-2013

No I did not direct it at you, my words are for the young who have not yet cruised. If you are a serious young cruiser I'm sure understand where I'm coming from.
Old 02-20-2013

Or spend a few days helping a stranger fix his boat

Or party my ass off with the locals

Or go do a little fishing

But- hey you and the other "real sailors" enjoy that dock.
Old 02-20-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaviGsr View Post
Cruising requires being self-sufficient whether you are across the bay or on the other side of the world.

Our generation has been brought up in a world where there is no need for self-sufficiency. We have been taught to get a plumber to unclog the sink, call a tow truck to change a tire, and an electrician to install a light.

Our world is filled with products that have limited lifespans. These commodities aren't designed to be maintained or serviced. They are designed to be disposed of when they break.

It used to be that handling the daily problems of life on your own was part of being a competent adult. That mentality does not exist in my generation.

We have been told the only path in this world is to go to college so you can get a job that pays you enough to afford the products and services you need to have a comfortable life in this country. This is part of what is sinking the middle class.

Can we learn to be self-sufficient? Of course! But it's not easy. When nothing in my daily life requires these skills they become as obsolete as traditional rigging.
In the book "Ocean Voyaging" by David Parker....there is something that says (roughly) "Every system on a boat will at sometime fail and a cruising sailor should know how to, have the tools and parts to be able to fix that system with out any help from the outside world"
One of my pet peves is present day boaters reliance on having stuff done by techs and/or buying gizmos that can only be fixed by techs.
Old 02-20-2013

I may have been quick on the trigger then with the response- but I was me who initially said I don't really do the social scene of hanging with the grandparents sippin drinks...
Old 02-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
Or spend a few days helping a stranger fix his boat

Or party my ass off with the locals

Or go do a little fishing

But- hey you and the other "real sailors" enjoy that dock.
I do enjoy the dock at times but then I enjoy all aspects of long distant sailing. Maybe you mistook me for the group who does not sail and only hangs out at docks. We sail the world and sail it hard but in doing so we enjoy all that is offered hopefully like you do, the locals in far off places, the cruisers close to home and those sailing to the same destinations we do. Fishing is one of my first loves while passage making.
Soon we will pickup our new boat in France and be headed off on another adventure hopefully for 5 or 6 years this time. Our major destinations on this one hopefully will be the Caroline Islands and the rivers of Borneo and PNG. We love at times the isolation of atolls in the middle of nowhere and sometimes we love hanging out for the cyclone season in a busy port in New Zealand, surfing, drinking with cruisers and locals we have met along the way.
We are lucky to be able to afford a new boat at our age.
Bienvenue chez Boreal
Here is our only blog from our last trip across the pacific back in 2007 to 2009, it was only two years because our younger son had had enough and wanted to go to high school instead of being homed schooled. We have grand kids now and wanted them to be able to follow us seeing we couldn't spend much time with them. I wish I could have had a blog back in the 70's of sailing then. I think you would see it is much the same as your sailing is now. They were great times and I hope more younger dreamers will get out and do it like you are but excuses won't make it happen will it.
What Are We Doing? | Hannah

Keep up the good work and if we meet up on our next passage come aboard have a rum and let's talk fishing or take mine or your boat out of some exotic anchorage and troll with hand lines for Ahi and Mahi while under sail.

Cheers

Last edited by hannah2; 02-20-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post

Partial finger amputation. The blood running down the cockpit drain alone at night in the ocean was a once in a lifetime (hopefully ) photo op. thankfully I had coffee- note the upper right corner...

Couldn't you just JB Weld that finger back on? Or at least weld that cap over the bloody stump.

It takes one tough mofo to bleed like a headless Dorado all over the cockpit then take a picture of his own carnage. Well played my good man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-20-2013

Haha. Not that tough. Just jacked up on adrenaline. And doing what I had to in the situation- albeit with a pause to snap a pic. Hahahaha.

2 surgeries and I'm about back as good as new. Hindsight being what it is- I *might* have preferred to actually lose it- as it was half the pinky on my right hand- not really that critical and a way cooler story if it were actually gone.

Hannah- I misunderstood. You referenced that hanging out at the dock -"where people are actually sailing" or whatever-would be a good idea hence my confusion as to your habits or preferences. At any rate whenever Or wherever we meet- ill be way way less cranky- because I won't be 3 hours from my boat- and it won't be on the hard. Right now I'm hauled out- finishing a new bottom. Ugh. Actually right now I'm 3 hours away not doing the bottom. But I'm sure it'll be there when I get back to it Sunday.