The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree536Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I blame the women.
Ha ha ha ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2012

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Our grandson, who is nine, has been on a few trips with us and has developed an attraction to sailing. He started saving his money earlier this year, which he earned by caring for neighbors pets and doing odd jobs. Last spring he decided that he wanted a small sailboat and found an older AMF Puffer, which was in the area. It was owned by a local elderly man who no longer used it. He sold it to our grandson for a very good price, much less than it was worth and we are now sailing it together. When we spoke to the old fellow he said that his grand children had no interest in the boat or learning to sail. He was so happy that this young man wanted to take it on.

I gave him two quick lessons and his mother enrolled him in sailing camp, which he just completed, along with twelve other young students. He was allowed to bring his Puffer but also sailed in OPs, 420's, Lasers and Flying Scotts. Only one of the twelve expressed no interest in continuing with the sport.

His interest in learning amazes all of us. We are very happy to see this as he was, prior to this, heavy into computer games, too much time inside. He now has all but given up those interest. He is also using our kayaks to visit his friends in the area, as we live on the water.

This boating thing has really taken off and therefore I can see that if a child is exposed to this or other outdoor activity many will jump right in with both feet, and their interest will be there for a long long time. Too many never have the opportunity.
Capt.aaron and elspru like this.
Old 07-01-2012
is Awesome!

This is a really interesting thread for certain!

I just turned 33, I am young enough to remember the first mobile phones (the size of car batteries), remember the Sega Megadrive and when Michael Jackson was Black.

My father taught me to sail at 16 on a little Mayfly dinghy, it was great fun and I went out as often as I could before taking a full time job at 18...

...26 Oh yeah, I used to enjoy sailing...

I had the perception that Yachts were only for the rich (born with a silver spoon) or those who were 40/50+ had become captains of industry and had six figure incomes. I am saving now to scrape together $5k to buy a 28ft liveaboard.

I am kicking myself that I didn't look at this as an option earlier in my life. I think therein lies the problem for many, and that problem is awareness. The perception that house/flat/apartment is the only option.

I spent the best part of ten years working all over the country in hotels (job's with accommodation) because that gave me the biggest % of disposable income.

I used that income to afford flash cars, toys, motorbike racing, backpacking holidays to australia, Asia and Europe and whilst it has all been great fun! I worked dammed hard for my adventures but all of them were worth it.

At 33, a little wiser and realise that my spending has been frivolous and whilst I do wish that I had bought a little boat when I have had enough cash in my bank account to do so outright. I have probably had more adventure in my short but colourful life than most people I know and so I would change it!

One thing I would do to help the next generation (and I think that should be the focus) is help them to be aware of other options.

With the jobs market + economy + property prices equation in mind, is it really surprising to you that the youth would rather spend their money on things of instant gratification than facing the daunting task of trying to raise 2 years salary just to get enough for a deposit for a house?

I think that there are valid points on both sides of the fence here, there are some lazy (rather live off the state) B*****Ds in the world right now, but there are also those who at 16 have started companies and done really well.

IMO its all about awareness that (as Capt. Aaron said) living aboard can be a great option. and the next generation being given the encouragement to believe in themselves that they can achieve and excel.

I know this last part is in danger of going off topic but I think this might be interesting to some...

I have just been given permission to post this video on my website The Blackhurst Foundation
Old 07-01-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leocat66 View Post
Our grandson, who is nine, has been on a few trips with us and has developed an attraction to sailing. He started saving his money earlier this year, which he earned by caring for neighbors pets and doing odd jobs. Last spring he decided that he wanted a small sailboat and found an older AMF Puffer, which was in the area. It was owned by a local elderly man who no longer used it. He sold it to our grandson for a very good price, much less than it was worth and we are now sailing it together. When we spoke to the old fellow he said that his grand children had no interest in the boat or learning to sail. He was so happy that this young man wanted to take it on.

I gave him two quick lessons and his mother enrolled him in sailing camp, which he just completed, along with twelve other young students. He was allowed to bring his Puffer but also sailed in OPs, 420's, Lasers and Flying Scotts. Only one of the twelve expressed no interest in continuing with the sport.

His interest in learning amazes all of us. We are very happy to see this as he was, prior to this, heavy into computer games, too much time inside. He now has all but given up those interest. He is also using our kayaks to visit his friends in the area, as we live on the water.

This boating thing has really taken off and therefore I can see that if a child is exposed to this or other outdoor activity many will jump right in with both feet, and their interest will be there for a long long time. Too many never have the opportunity.
Fantastic!!!
Old 07-01-2012
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
I'm thinking it has a lot to do with inflated expectations for a higher than deserved standard of living, hence people who are almost thirty living with their parents, growing up in a zero failure world (which is not a good way to encourage hard work), and the expectation that the world owes them something (careers, high standards of living, education)

AMEX came out with a survey showing that young people spend tons of money on travel and luxury goods. It must be a mental thing. The ocean is pretty intimidating, not big snowboard jump intimidating, but kill you if it decides to intimidating. I'm guessing backpacking and all-inclusives are just easier to do.
I think you have hit the nail on the head.

My wife and I are in our early 30's, and cruising the east coast here in Oz we have not once meet anyone cruising younger than us.

You can't say our generation isn't into travel or adventure, these are both booming industries, but I just think sailing/cruising has just fallen out of vogue.

I also think (and this is going to make me sound old), that Generation Y just lacks the patience, persistence, discipline and courage to see a dream like cruising through.That is a generalisation of course, but it is generally true. This is the instant generation, the no consequence generation, if it feels good do it, and if I can say it a spoilt generation.

It is surprising on this forum and others the amount of young people who come and post the obligatory " I want to buy a cheap boat and sail off into the sunset" thread and then after realising a few tough realities they tend to disappear forever.

One such couple in there 20's here is Australia started a buy a cheap boat and sail around the world thread on another forum about a year ago. They seemed quite genuine and determined at the time and were very impressed that we were off sailing the Great Barrier Reef. "how did you do it?" They asked. I told them... "well we worked hard for 10 years, saved our money, stopped going out for dinner, stopped buying new clothes/cars or TV's, and spent our time learning about sailing and working on boats. Most of all we committed to our dream, made the sacrifices and saw it through"

I have since PMed them a few times and kept in contact on email. Last update they did take some beginner sailing lessons and they liked going to marinas to look at the boats on sunny weekends. For the moment they have however decided to rent a new apartment with a waterview instead. They have been to Malaysia twice, been to a few really nice day spas they recommended, and were thinking of learning to dive, maybe as part of the next holiday. They say they are still looking for a boat.......

My suspicion sadly is that they will probably never buy the boat or go cruising, let alone around the world.

It is however very inspiring when I do hear about true young adventurers who are out there doing something so very counter-cultural. Good on ya guys
jrd22 and youmeandthed like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
They have been to Malaysia twice, been to a few really nice day spas they recommended, and were thinking of learning to dive, maybe as part of the next holiday. They say they are still looking for a boat.......
I would wager that they could have bought a boat with what they have spent on the above!

and then sailed to Malaysia and kitted the boat out with a compressor to charge the dive tanks even!

I am committed to my liveaboard dream and only which I had done it sooner!

Though now I reflect on it... With what I have spent of travelling to Asia, Europe and Austraila twice to do things like this...

I could have bought myself a nice boat by now!
BUT I didn't think it possible to buy a boat for less than $100k
(i now know better), but thats kind of my point about awareness.
I hadn't even considered livingaboard until last year and ever since I
have been working towards it, by getting rid of 'stuff' on eBay and
saving money and creating ways to earn money through the internet.
... All in preparation!

Having said that, had I not traveled, I wouldn't know that places like this exist...

The above is Whitehaven beach in the Whitsundays!
And I am determined to return on my own yacht one day!

Last edited by DavidB.UK; 07-01-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

To all the young dudes, I want to get the word out, if you have student loans, if you can't find a job or aren't getting paid what you thought in your chosen field, QUIT YOUR JOB AND MOVE TO KEY WEST " (see book by same title written by my good friend Chris Shultz") We have the boats, we have the jobs. If you can get up in the morning and show up on time, you can make a success of your self here. I know oyster shuckers that are making $150 a day and have no rent, bills etc. I'm trying to unload a little Trip Columbia 25 for $1000, all it needs is a little attention. If you have thick skin, a little gumption, and aren't the in-doorsy type , this the life style for you, A little money down and drive it a way today. Instant grat. for the Y gen's, one day your cussing your no where job that pay's for the car you need to get to work, to pay for the car you need to get to work, to pay....and the next, your stocking ice and beer at a wharf side bar and grill looking out at your little sloop in the bay. It's a no brainer. (But wait, there's more.) if you act now, you'll get here in time to pick up those jobs created by snow birds leaving to head back up north for the summer. Just do it. Your only young once fella's ( and Girls) we have girls here. I've seen plenty of Young women living the life down here. (certain restrictions my apply)
DavidB.UK likes this.
Old 07-01-2012
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB.UK View Post
The above is Whitehaven beach in the Whitsundays!
And I am determined to return on my own yacht one day!
I actually have nothing against travel at all, and the one thing we have always done is travel......We have done it smartly....but yeah we have always travelled. My point was as you said, that for what they are spending pursuing the great western 1st world dream they could of happily bought a pocket cruiser and be sat at Whitehaven
I really get annoyed when people say to us "Oh you must be rich, we could never afford to do what you are doing'.

Ok just to make you a little jealous the below pictures are us at Whitehaven, on own yacht last October

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
To all the young dudes, I want to get the word out, if you have student loans, if you can't find a job or aren't getting paid what you thought in your chosen field, QUIT YOUR JOB AND MOVE TO KEY WEST " (see book by same title written by my good friend Chris Shultz") We have the boats, we have the jobs. If you can get up in the morning and show up on time, you can make a success of your self here. I know oyster shuckers that are making $150 a day and have no rent, bills etc. I'm trying to unload a little Trip Columbia 25 for $1000, all it needs is a little attention. If you have thick skin, a little gumption, and aren't the in-doorsy type , this the life style for you, A little money down and drive it a way today. Instant grat. for the Y gen's, one day your cussing your no where job that pay's for the car you need to get to work, to pay for the car you need to get to work, to pay....and the next, your stocking ice and beer at a wharf side bar and grill looking out at your little sloop in the bay. It's a no brainer. (But wait, there's more.) if you act now, you'll get here in time to pick up those jobs created by snow birds leaving to head back up north for the summer. Just do it. Your only young once fella's ( and Girls) we have girls here. I've seen plenty of Young women living the life down here. (certain restrictions my apply)
Young girls??? Oysters??? Beer??? Where do I sign up???? Oh yeah I'm married and don't have a green card
Oh the thingsI would do differently If I were 21 again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 07-01-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2012
is Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Ok just to make you a little jealous the below pictures are us at Whitehaven, on own yacht last October
Not jealous at all, well done you!
I have visited once, I took the picture that I posted in 2004

and I KNOW I will go back one day with my own boat, perhaps that'll mark half way on a circumnavigation...?

Anybody want to meet in Airlie Beach for a beer?
Old 07-01-2012
Picnic Sailor

If you get to the Whitsundays halfway through a circumnavigation, I will definitely BUY YOU a beer in Airlie

The Whitsundays sailing club at Airlie(Whose Motto is 'A drinking town with a sailing problem') also does a pretty decent steak, I'll meet you on their dinghy dock.
DavidB.UK likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.