The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 50 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

c. breeze, did I miss the story behind the finger? Was it a winch mishap? (you'd be surprised on how common it is for fingers to get caught into winches or hockles on lines under load)
c. breeze likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
2 surgeries and I'm about back as good as new. Hindsight being what it is- I *might* have preferred to actually lose it- as it was half the pinky on my right hand- not really that critical and a way cooler story if it were actually gone.
I heard that half of c. breeze's pinky was bitten off by a shark and that c. breeze killed the shark and carved one the shark's teeth to replace the pinky bone that was missing. I bet you can totally see where c. breeze sewed it back together with seaweed thread.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

No- I'm not sure how I happened. My boat got sideways in some big waves and I got smashed around in the cockpit. I think it most likely got crushed between the tiller and the port side lazarette? It was really hectic. I told a bit a out it in the "school I hard knocks" thread.

Bad judgement. That's all. Late- really tired after a long day haulin ass north in the Gulf Stream- and I got my ass handed to me trying to get inside. Not even a bad inlet- just a little bit of bad judgement. I did do some pretty "technical" sailing immediately after it happened. Then I hove to- and tried to figure things out. I thought it was gone from all the blood- and it felt wierd- but it was just mangled and broken. Flapping by shreds.

A buddy of mine got bitten by a shark on his hand surfing a Sebastian a few years ago- about a 2 footer- or maybe 20" He has really sweet shark bite scars- but a really lame story.

"Oh my God- you got attacked by a shark- was it little- like 4-5 feet?"
"Um, yeah- it was a little one" how lame to have an embarrassing shark attack story.

Like my embarrassing sailing story there. Ha.
Old 02-20-2013

jasenj1 is on a distinguished road

I'm a newbie, but I'll throw a few cents worth into the conversation.

I'm forty-something and just getting into sailing. Been crewing for a few years in weekly races.

1) Sailing is and needs a community. It's the kind of skill that is taught and passed down from generation to generation. I got into sailing by walking the docks one night and getting a ride on someone's boat. People need to know those opportunities exist, and those with boats need to take on fresh meat.

I think that sense of community is something our modern age has lost - maybe I'm wrong. My dad is all up in his neighbors' business, helping this one do that, having another help him. I barely know my neighbors' names. We've cocooned into our houses with giant flat-screen TVs, laptops, iPads, home theaters, etc.

Yacht clubs I'm sure provide that community to those willing to pay the price. But how do you get people to pony up the $$$ and commitment to join something they don't even know if they like?

Cruising has and needs that community spirit, too. I've read many blogs about people helping each other out with this or that problem. Again, I think the modern world does not foster that spirit.

2) Sailing is REALLY complicated. Power boating is like driving a car but on the water. Cruising is far more complicated than basic sailing. The world is filled with other, easy, less-risky entertainment. Maybe that has always been true, but I don't think so.

3) Time & money.
These days people don't have a nice union factory job with good benefits & job security. They're out there working 60 hrs a week hoping their job doesn't get off-shored or turned into two 30 hour a week employees so the company can avoid paying benefits. And the statistics on personal debt are horrendous. People don't seem to know how not to spend every dime (and then some) they get paid.

Enough rambling for now.
Old 02-21-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I would say the best answer to the question would be you are not looking in the right places and/or the % of people overall cruising is less. Most of the boats I see sit in marinas all the time and never get out....the boats that do get out the most are actually sailed by the "younger crowd". While the "6 figure" boats spend most of their time in the marina slip....the boats that actually get out could be considered "4 figure" (though some might have actually been purchased for something in the hundreds or even have been free-ish). A friend of mine sailed all over the pacific on a "free boat" with bare bones equipment on an annual cruisng budget of $2500...he kept this up until he was convinced that he should do better things with his life (like get married, have children and settle down).....woman represent 3 out of the top 5 reaosns someone has to give up a boat :/
Old 02-21-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

It is the middle of winter and I am looking at a Catalina 24 (which sold to a kid for $2000) out sailing while all the "yachties" are in there warm offices and/or home.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 02-21-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2013

schmitt7 is on a distinguished road

New poster here, throwing in my two cents.

I'm 29 years old, looking at buying my first sailboat. I took a basic sailing course at the local sailing club and sailed weekly over the course of last summer.

This spring I looking to buy something in the 22-25 foot range while spending between $1500-$3000. My goal is to have a boat to tool around on/cruise on the weekends on lake Michigan. I've been checking craigslist and ebay for the right deal. I live the adventure side of sailing and lower fuel costs over a powerboat.
Old 02-21-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
I'm curious on opinions on this one. When Baby boomers were in their 20's there were lots of them in small capable sailboats (some they made themselves) cruising across oceans; but now-a-days the majority of twenty-year olds appear to be utterly useless. I just don't get it, and I'm in my twenties, and cruising.

I'm also curious as to where people think the future of the sailing industry is going if there are so few young people involved?

Any thoughts?
Here is the original post on the subject. The OP was curious to know why 20's were not cruising as much as their baby boomer peers did in the 70's, that would be when the baby boomers were in their 20's.

The truth is their are 20 somethings cruising now. Percentage wise I'd say it the same as the 70's maybe even a bit higher percentage. You can't look at the number of boats sitting in Marinas. You can't look at costs of boats because 20 somethings and 30 somethings who are cruising over came any of the problems of today's world just like the baby boomers who went cruising back in the 70's had to over come the problems of the that era. And there were many and they seemed at the time just as grave as today's problems. The draft and the Vietnam war were huge compared to today's economic problems. And our parents were much more conservative about our futures than today. We were the generation that was told to go get a job, have 2.4 kids and live in the burbs. At least today as parents to 20 somethings we tell them to live their dreams far more than we were told by our parents.
Boats have always been sitting around in marinas and we used to comment on it all the time. But most sailors, 99% of them don't have and never had dreams of serious cruising so all those boats don't mean anything to someone cruising.

Wolfenzee, All those yachties don't mean a thing, what has that to do with cruising for you or me or anyone wanting to go cruising? Please fill me in on your thoughts. Do you think that your friend that sailed all over the Pacific had to escape the Yachties in the marina syndrome. I'm sure he was so focused on going cruising that he gave a rats butt about those people.

I wish some of the young guys that have posted on this thread that have taken off on long journeys would post again and tell us how they did it. All the hassles they had to overcome to do it. I promise you they had no excuses about 60 hour work weeks keeping them from doing it, maybe 60 hour work weeks so they could go. Maybe they had someone they were in love with but the urge to go cruising was stronger and left that love.

We just go round and round on this interesting thread. I don't give up on the young because there is like there always been a small percent of them who excel in thinking outside the box and just don't dream but live there dream. The rest are just people who need the other things in life, College, jobs, lots of money, etc. We should be happy for them and be even more happy that some of the young have figured out that there can be more to life than the usual. We have heard from some young who have lots of excuses and there is nothing wrong with that buts lets hear from those out doing and how they did it.
Old 02-23-2013

IamJohnGalt is on a distinguished road

What's the quote? Something like there are 99 people seeking security for every 1 willing to risk it all?

We (20-30year olds) are afraid to take the risk. People do what is safe to them and instead of going on adventures, we drink it away, or waste it on clothes/material items. When we talk about taking the risk, we are convinced otherwise, but still have that sense of adventure within us, and we go back to the safe.

Eventually you get tired of living the way you do, you want to do something for you. You sell your house, your car, your land life, and do that one risk. The risk that has been in the back of your mind for a while. You buy a boat, take a lesson, and cast off.

This is why my generation isn't out there as much. We are growing up debt ridden, jobless, and taught not to think for ourselves. You spend ~60 000 to ~300 000 on university over 4 years, a $1000 boat plus a ~600 basic cruising class and 2-3000 in repairs to get it ready to sail, becomes a feat.

All this being said, I've noticed there is a growing trend into sailing, somewhat piggybacking on the green energy/living trend. Will be interesting to see the future.

-two job, full time advanced economics student who still has time to do philanthropic activities
elspru likes this.

Last edited by IamJohnGalt; 02-23-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road

Even though I have stated all the reasons why younger people dont take the risk I will state again.

I just recently turned 29. My sailing student is 25 and. My last trip consisted of all people under 30. There is a good amount but not enough.

Far as cruising goes its not in the cards for me right now. I have a family to raise and when that is over with I will go as far and my heart desires I travel and not a nautical mile further nor shorter.

Truth is a lot of people under 30 would love to spend more time on boats. I know this because Ive tried to get a lot of them to go.... often times they just wont go. There is always a reason why but who am I to judge what is a reason and what is an excuse? Who am I to decide for another what is more important?

Truth is owning a boat is a lot of work. Sure I could schlep it around like the trailer park queen and not work on my vessel and just do the minimum to keep it floating... I think we all know what happens to vessels like that. Ive helped bring them up from the bottom of the harbor before.

I am selling one of my other loves and long time passions. My motorcycle project. If the buyer doesnt flake out on me I will finally have the money to get some very needed upgrades handled on my vessel. You know **** like the rest of my paint, my motor maitnence and.... running water.

Working on ones boat is often done alone and presents its own set of challenges but hey, its not stopping me. That doesnt make it less gripe worthy and I am sure a good number of you other skippers know how hard it is to get people to put in 'time before the mast' when theres greasy or dirty work to be done.
Sal Paradise likes this.