The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 53 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013

tstenq is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I did a lot of dinghy sailing with my pop as a child, when I turned 18, I got a Rhodes 19 (free-lots of glass work) and we sailed that until Pop dropped serious money ($2500) on a Contest 30. I love the escape from society, even if it is only for a couple hours at a time, but I think that most people my age have become addicted to social interaction based on instantaneous communication. they simply can't unplug long enough to find the joy of salt spray in their face and wind in their hair. Hopefully, I'll be getting a big time boat int he next year and can convince Pop to come across the pond with me. but a kid's gotta have dreams right?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2013

skaterp14 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Time to bring this one back to life. It has been about a year since I posted (page 6). I started sailing about a year and a half ago and fell in love with it the first time I filled the main. I was raised on the water and have always had a passion for the water, but no one in my family has ever sailed and when I told them I wanted a sailboat they said " What do you want a blow boat for?!?!??". So just to try I bought a $1500 mac 22 and trailered it back to my house. I bought a sailing book, started to read a lot of sailing forums, raised the mast in my yard, hoisted the sails, took a swig of captn and said "DAMN I can do this". That was in January. Since then the boat made it to the water and I have been sailing it ever since. The future wife and me have taken quite a few trips on it now and love it, you would be surprised at how much stuff I can cram in that boat. Soon we plan to buy a bigger boat though. Somewhere around the 30ish foot that most people would say You want that piece of junk?????? HELL YEAH! Cant you see the potential???? I am 26 years old now and CAN NOT WAIT TO GET OFF LAND!
bljones, elspru and Razcar like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to skaterp14 For This Useful Post:
Razcar (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar

That's a great story, I love that you see potential in those older boats. I'm the same way, and it's great to get out on the water. I have an O'Day 20, and I'm seeing that I'll be working my way up to a 35+ footer in a couple of years. We're already planning a Bahamas bareboat next spring to see what it's like in a larger boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I am a poor sailor and am about to leave land behind me...as far as the origins of this thread during my layover in San Fransisco I will be seeking out a young crew member to crew to the tropics....someone who can not afford their own boat and quite probably can just afford to squeak by in the socioeconomic culture that makes up SF.
Old 06-18-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

I would be willing to bet that more young people would go sailing if they suffered a major breakdown of the internet and all of the nintendos quit working...either that or you made a line of cruiser boats that had a game controller to steer by instead of a wheel or tiller.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 06-18-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I would be willing to bet that more young people would go sailing if they suffered a major breakdown of the internet and all of the nintendos quit working...either that or you made a line of cruiser boats that had a game controller to steer by instead of a wheel or tiller.
I don't know, joysticks come pretty close to such an ideal...

Or, how about Etap's vertical tiller? Has to be one of the weirdest setups I've ever seen...

Old 06-18-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I don't know, joysticks come pretty close to such an ideal...

Or, how about Etap's vertical tiller? Has to be one of the weirdest setups I've ever seen...

Holy crap you steer with a tennis racket LOL. I know I had one of them things that floats but gots no sails that had bowthrusters with a joystick, my stepson once asked if the chartplotter could be used with it to play video games...on a boat, in the ocean, porpoises swimming along beside us, the ships and yachts and all the rest to see and he wanted to play Halo on my chartplotter...
Razcar likes this.
Old 06-19-2013

I have tried to explain to a gamer how my nav program is sort of like a video game. You have the charts, tides, currents, can also get NOAA input that gives wind and wave hieght add to that speed, depth, GPS, AIS and radar input.....then trying to sail all at the same time you have a pretty complex video game. Thing is if you screw up...you don't just reset the game, it's real.
Old 06-19-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I have tried to explain to a gamer how my nav program is sort of like a video game. You have the charts, tides, currents, can also get NOAA input that gives wind and wave hieght add to that speed, depth, GPS, AIS and radar input.....then trying to sail all at the same time you have a pretty complex video game. Thing is if you screw up...you don't just reset the game, it's real.
I think it's charming how you try to bridge a generational gap with the chart plotter. But ultimately let's face it, sailing is boring compared to other stuff a young kid could be doing. I think you have to have different sensibilities as a young person to have sailing appeal to you.

A previous poster wrote how they liked motor boating much better than sailing since it's almost as simple as driving a car. sailing will always face that challenge because it's not like driving a car. It's complicated for a newbie, you need a little intuition to get the hang of it. The industry needs inspirational teachers. Gadgets can only get you so far.

Old 06-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razcar View Post
I think it's charming how you try to bridge a generational gap with the chart plotter. But ultimately let's face it, sailing is boring compared to other stuff a young kid could be doing. I think you have to have different sensibilities as a young person to have sailing appeal to you.

A previous poster wrote how they liked motor boating much better than sailing since it's almost as simple as driving a car. sailing will always face that challenge because it's not like driving a car. It's complicated for a newbie, you need a little intuition to get the hang of it. The industry needs inspirational teachers. Gadgets can only get you so far.
I learned how to sail before gadgets....when I was 15, my brother gave me a book called "The Craft of Sail" which approached sailing from the point of view of applied physics....I told my brother I know how to sail I don't need this...but I just "felt" stuff....after reading this book...."Oh that's how why it works". Things like vectors, lift, lateral resistance, etc.....I just (not to sound corny) was one with my boat.....all of my sensory input was far more than is possible for a video game...it is going on all around you...not just a small vid screen in front of you, the wind on your cheek, the shape of the sail, tension of the line, the ripples on the waves, etc....the little things here and there...far more complex....and you really have to think.
Of the people who would be best suited for my crew, the mindset, they are either skiers, backpackers, surfers, rock climbers...not all of our youth is plugged into a video port.
elspru and Razcar like this.