The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 58 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree536Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Mark,

99% of that is defense mechanism and rationalizing. Most people just feel safer staying home and mowing the lawn, or going to the mall and buying new jeans. In evolutionalry terms, were are descended from those who stayed safe. In social terms , the herd stays together.

I would reply that I would love to mow my lawn more and I would love to shop at the mall more, but I just can't. I just can't seem to manage it. Then again, I know from my great aunt that my ancestors were sailors and stubborn loners.
Hehe, yep, lawn mowing is great, I do it here, will have to do it today, but I am not hooked on lawn care. I am thoroughly hooked on sailing, travelling, and exploring. Some of my family had a bit of the bug in the past, back in the 1500's a few of them got together and went sailing, they left Spain and landed in Mexico. They then left Mexico and went to Florida, and while they claimed it was to seek trade, or bring the message of the church, my guess it was a nookie hunt in foreign lands that sold them on it.... time changes a lot of things, but.....

AKscooter likes this.
Old 06-21-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

If people stay with in tight sociological parameters and don't look outside these parameters they will remain in their safe little world......all will be well....problem is life is not as stable as is one was....but the masses still believe they are safe and don't know of any other possibility. Anyone who thinks of giving up their "safe little world" and sailing off into the tropical unset goes against the grain of "the accepted norm".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013

djaustralia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to djaustralia

I can sum up an answer quite easily, the rich get richer while the poor get stiffed. I live in Tasmania & i've tried six ways from sunday to get regular work. Then maybe I could save enough money to do the things I really want to do...like buy a boat.
My circumstances always seem to dictate that the more money I have the more I have to pay out just to break even. Just the cost of living is enough to keep us moderate income earners broke. Everything keeps getting more expensive, food, electricity, vehicle registration, insurances & the list goes on. I can barely afford to put food in the cupboard and fuel in the car at the same time.
It seems clear to me that governments are manipulators & happy to make money off us for nothing. In Australia you now need a "white card" just to walk onto a building site. You need a skippers ticket before you step onto a boat.

As a parent of an 11yr old in primary school I can't even go with him & his class into the change rooms when they all do swim class. I NEED A "WORKING WITH CHILDREN CHECK" & of course the government charge money for that. I spoke with a teacher a few years ago, she'd been doing it for 35 years and cause the governmemt introduced a new law she had to spend $50 of her own money to pay for a "working with children check"!
The cost of a decent yacht, caravan, camper, house or vehicle is far to exspensive nowadays. Not to mention the rego' & insurance that go with it.

Money is controlled by banks & governments & they share with us when it suits them. Heck they can even take money off us if we havn't any "proof" where it came from. No wonder young people don't own boats
AKscooter likes this.
Old 06-23-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaustralia View Post
I can sum up an answer quite easily, the rich get richer while the poor get stiffed. I live in Tasmania & i've tried six ways from sunday to get regular work. Then maybe I could save enough money to do the things I really want to do...like buy a boat.
My circumstances always seem to dictate that the more money I have the more I have to pay out just to break even. Just the cost of living is enough to keep us moderate income earners broke. Everything keeps getting more expensive, food, electricity, vehicle registration, insurances & the list goes on. I can barely afford to put food in the cupboard and fuel in the car at the same time.
It seems clear to me that governments are manipulators & happy to make money off us for nothing. In Australia you now need a "white card" just to walk onto a building site. You need a skippers ticket before you step onto a boat.

As a parent of an 11yr old in primary school I can't even go with him & his class into the change rooms when they all do swim class. I NEED A "WORKING WITH CHILDREN CHECK" & of course the government charge money for that. I spoke with a teacher a few years ago, she'd been doing it for 35 years and cause the governmemt introduced a new law she had to spend $50 of her own money to pay for a "working with children check"!
The cost of a decent yacht, caravan, camper, house or vehicle is far to exspensive nowadays. Not to mention the rego' & insurance that go with it.

Money is controlled by banks & governments & they share with us when it suits them. Heck they can even take money off us if we havn't any "proof" where it came from. No wonder young people don't own boats
My friend, I mean you no disrespect, but blaming others for your lack or needs is simply foolish. I once lived in an area where the economy sucked, the jobs outlook was non-existent, and the wages for what few jobs there were would not meet the needs of a family. I did not blame anyone, I packed up my family, and my crap, and I moved. I moved to another state, I actively and aggressively pursued opportunity when I found it, no matter where it presented itself. I made my own opportunities when others did not present themselves. I lived within the laws of the land, and I worked my arse off. I faced and overcame a ton of obstacles, but I did it with help from my friends and family and my faith, I made it through the rough patches.

You can too. Think outside the box, move if you cannot find work to a place where it is more abundant. I wish you the best.
northoceanbeach likes this.
Old 06-23-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

My feelings fall somewhere in the middle of the above statement but I give the poster credit. I'm baffled by places like Detroit where the economy totally collapsed, yet there are people that still sit there. People used to migrate more for work, so if you live in a place like the rust belt and there are no jobs then move somewhere else. Don't sit there and expect the government to subsidise a dying or dead industry.
Old 06-23-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Thing is the rich boaters have been led to believe (like the rest of our culture) that they can't do anything for themselves and the marine industry has created a mystique of sorts cashing in on that....well us poor boaters can't afford to pay marine techs for every little thing....we learn to do for ourselves....and using this knowledge we can also do stuff for the rich boaters ie the rich boaters make it possible for us poor boaters...a continuation of this is rich boater NEEDING to get the latest greatest techno gadgets and there "obsolete" (but perfectly good) stuff goes for little or nothing.
Old 06-23-2013

djaustralia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to djaustralia

My situation depicts that i moved here (Tasmania) to help a relative who has since "turned" on me. Other local relatives have since followed suit, for reasons no worse than me not going to christmas lunches. Despite all this I have decided to stay in this area so my son (11 yrs old) can finish primary school. It's just one thing after another regarding the hurdles I must jump, hirdles I might add that are usually thrown up by others and not discovered through my lack of abilities. Maybe by the time i'm 45 I will be able to have the financial freedom I seek. By then though I won't be young enough to reply to a thread like this one, Kind of ironic ha'!
Old 06-23-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaustralia View Post
My situation depicts that i moved here (Tasmania) to help a relative who has since "turned" on me. Other local relatives have since followed suit, for reasons no worse than me not going to christmas lunches. Despite all this I have decided to stay in this area so my son (11 yrs old) can finish primary school. It's just one thing after another regarding the hurdles I must jump, hirdles I might add that are usually thrown up by others and not discovered through my lack of abilities. Maybe by the time i'm 45 I will be able to have the financial freedom I seek. By then though I won't be young enough to reply to a thread like this one, Kind of ironic ha'!
Well, most of us who are replying to the thread are not young, we all want younger people to join in with the sailing community and enjoy the wonderful experience of sailing. I think most young people could greatly benefit from a year or two of sailing, a cruise or circumnavigation would give them the insight on their own situation that would be helpful in overcoming obstacles in other aspects of life.

I hope that you will not wait too long to get started sailing, and I hope that you will involve your children and family. My first sailboat was dead cheap. It took a ton of work, which at the time I was too broke to pay anyone else to do, and I enjoyed doing it. I learned a lot, still have a lot to learn, and enjoy every minute of it, or at least I have learned to appreciate even the hard stuff. I can afford a bit more these days, but I do not spend willy nilly, I save my money and do as much as I can myself. I know that I have to really budget my money if I am going to be able to cruise and see the places I want to see. I hope you get past all of the silliness with the regulations and laws and restrictions on your life there and get to sail sooner rather than later, but if not then later is better than never.
Old 06-24-2013

AKscooter is on a distinguished road

Is this the part where people who "have" it tell those who don't to pull up the bootstraps and ride?? 'cause I see lots of people busting their arse trying to make it day to day, and barely staying ...ahem..."afloat".

It takes a bunch of 12 hour days for a lot of people to just crack their monthly nut. To be
"creative, think outside the box, shift gears and all" takes time and enough money to be able to do just that. It ain't gonna happen the way the majority of people have to work today.

Definitely is not the l960's.......

Wait until these "grandparents" out there have to listen to their grandkids being enslaved because in order to go to school you have to mortgage 30 years of your life to pay off that loan. The same schooling that they may have had and paid for by working a part time summer job. Those days and opportunities are gone...long gone.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 06-24-2013
Dunning Krueger Research

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

As always, we can point to a specific individual and say that he is doing okay. But to understand the issue you need to look at the broad numbers.

I do think this article from today's NY Times relates somewhat to what is being discussed here.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...D5150C9EC722A6

Lowell and Richmond embody many of the structural forces, like deindustrialization and declining blue-collar jobs, that frame working-class young people’s attempts to come of age in America today. The economic hardships of these men and women, both white and black, have been well documented. But often overlooked are what the sociologists Richard Sennett and Jonathan Cobb in 1972 called their “hidden injuries” — the difficult-to-measure social costs borne by working-class youths as they struggle to forge stable and meaningful adult lives.

Powerless to achieve external markers of adulthood like marriage or a steady job, they instead measure their progress by cutting ties, turning inward and numbing themselves emotionally.

We don’t want to go back to the 1950s, when economic stability and social solidarity came at the cost of exclusion for many Americans. But nor can we afford the social costs of going forward on our present path of isolation. The social and economic decline of the American working class will only be exacerbated as its youngest members make a virtue out of self-blame, distrust and disconnection. In order to tell a different kind of coming-of-age story, we need to provide these young men and women with the skills and support to navigate the road to adulthood. Our future depends on it.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 06-24-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.