The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 59 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKscooter View Post
Is this the part where people who "have" it tell those who don't to pull up the bootstraps and ride?? 'cause I see lots of people busting their arse trying to make it day to day, and barely staying ...ahem..."afloat".

It takes a bunch of 12 hour days for a lot of people to just crack their monthly nut. To be
"creative, think outside the box, shift gears and all" takes time and enough money to be able to do just that. It ain't gonna happen the way the majority of people have to work today.

Definitely is not the l960's.......

Wait until these "grandparents" out there have to listen to their grandkids being enslaved because in order to go to school you have to mortgage 30 years of your life to pay off that loan. The same schooling that they may have had and paid for by working a part time summer job. Those days and opportunities are gone...long gone.
More like the people that "have it", can't see how us poor sailors can "make do" they can't imagine anyone being able to function with out techno gadgets and gizmos that cost more than I paid for my boat.
When you figure in all the costs of the trappings of modern society (not including the cost of owning and paying for the upkeep of a high ticket boat) people could live alot more inexpensively. Our economy is supported by the manufacture, distribution, sail, storage and resale of totally useless stuff...but if someone can afford to (or appear to) be able to spend money on useless stuff it indicates that they are financially better off. The same idea is behind hiring someone to do menial/simple work for use....marketing has driven this into us to the point where people think they NEED totally useless stuff and are incapable of doing what are actually very simple things.

Our educational system is based on something from over 100years ago where children (the offspring of factory workers) were trained to fit into the society their parents were in. We were taught that you save all your money by working all your life and then reap the benifits when you were too old and worn out to really enjoy it....this evolved into "we (the banks) will lend you money to achieve that and/or the appearance of a higher station in life" because it was understood the almighty US economy was guaranteed to improve and you were expected to advance at your job.....well it doesn't work that way anymore and we have created a debtor economy (around 2010 was the first year since the depression where the average American owed more than their annual income), going deeper and deeper in debt. Our lives are devoted completely to our job....if you ask the question "What do you do" that actually means "What is you job"because people devote more of thier time/emphasis to their job than any thing else.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I've posted on this subject way back and I see there are new dreamers without a chance to make it work because they have every excuse in the world.
My wife and I leave tomorrow for the start of our third journey around the world or close to it. We are 60, my first time was at 20 back in 1972, I was shat poor but made it work, why? Because I wanted to and nothing was going to stop me. The excuses here are the same as back in 1972, exactly the same. Most of you won't ever get it done, you will just talk about it till you get tired of hearing your own excuses and move on to some other thing to have excuses for. I'm not rubbing it in I mean no bad feelings but that is the way it has been and will always be. Some live the dream and some just dream and most others don't even dream. Nothing has changed, blame the world for your sorry ass reasons why you can't get it done.

Good luck to those who make it.

Cheers

Steve and Tracy
SV RC Louise.
Bienvenue chez Boreal
Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
I've posted on this subject way back and I see there are new dreamers without a chance to make it work because they have every excuse in the world.
My wife and I leave tomorrow for the start of our third journey around the world or close to it. We are 60, my first time was at 20 back in 1972, I was shat poor but made it work, why? Because I wanted to and nothing was going to stop me. The excuses here are the same as back in 1972, exactly the same. Most of you won't ever get it done, you will just talk about it till you get tired of hearing your own excuses and move on to some other thing to have excuses for. I'm not rubbing it in I mean no bad feelings but that is the way it has been and will always be. Some live the dream and some just dream and most others don't even dream. Nothing has changed, blame the world for your sorry ass reasons why you can't get it done.
And as far as the excuse of being too poor....I am too poor to stay, but will live quite comfortably somewhere else (actually even California would cost me less than here

Cheers

Steve and Tracy
SV RC Louise.
Bienvenue chez Boreal
There are people here who say they want to leave....they have investined in a really nice bluewater boat.....thier excuse for not leaving is they want to make sure the boat is "perfect" first.....if you were actually pose the possibility of leaving Puget sound to them they would turn white as a sheet....they are all talk. What is actually necessary beyond a sound boat other that just what is needed for survival is determined by the degree of comfort you would like.....breaking ones land ties (both real and imagined) is all that keeps anyone. I have gotten to the point.....I will be leaving, not matter what.
And as far as the excuse of being too poor....I am too poor to stay, but will live quite comfortably somewhere else. Living at a marina while trying to et things ready (something that is also necessary most of the year because of the weather) has been eating up a large chunk of the money that would have allowed me to leave years ago
mark2gmtrans likes this.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-27-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

I am the old man who wants to escape. I sincerely hope that I am not just a dreamer. I reed, and study, and occasionally fear comes rolling in on me at the thought of drowning in the southern ocean, but I have faced fear before.
I haven't even been able to settle on a single boat that would suit me. A Ballad is close.
Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat View Post
I am the old man who wants to escape. I sincerely hope that I am not just a dreamer. I reed, and study, and occasionally fear comes rolling in on me at the thought of drowning in the southern ocean, but I have faced fear before.
I haven't even been able to settle on a single boat that would suit me. A Ballad is close.
A much more realistic fear ( and worse fate) would dieing in a mangled lump of twisted steel on the freeway....or worse stagnating and getting absorbed into this mindless culture.

As far as the boat keep this in mind: grab for what you can reach....otherwise you will be standing on the dock lusting after a goal you will never realize

I hope you are able to overcome your fears and/or any other obstacles and "sail off into the tropical sunset"....if you can't get a boat, you might be able to help someone who had a boat to find thier dream as well.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 06-27-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2013

wolfe,

We would love to see you in the S. Pacific in April 2014. But you have never left port on your own and you have a lot of truth to learn about yourself and those that will be around you. If you continue on about the more well off with a negative slant you will find yourself isolated. The world cruising community has no material status, we all, rich or poor help each other and care about each other. There is no value to money only how a sailor and his crew carry themselves and how well he or she keeps their boat. We will risk our lives to save another fellow cruiser especially when he has done everything to keep a good vessel.

I have met many wanna be's like you, they rarely don't get far. Usually they make it to San Fran or if lucky to Mexico and then no farther. They are bitter and depressed, they are stuck in some stink hole at anchor till they and the boat rots out. Get a better outlook to all of those around and enjoy your life and those around you and you will find that the cruising world is a pretty nice world to be in.

We hope you make it and we can buy you a beer. Best of luck to you and your beautiful boat.

Desert Rat,

Make the ballad a seaworthy event. Don't stop till the ballad is complete, Bob Dylan has never stopped and he is like you and I old and and at least as grey as I am. And I hear that Bob is fearful every time he writes.
Good Luck...

Last edited by hannah2; 06-27-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2013
Turf to Surf

Location: Currently training for the Clipper Round the World Race
tashahacker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tashahacker

Quote:

Cheers

Steve and Tracy
SV RC Louise.
[Bienvenue chez Boreal[/url]
I'm not sure if you noticed the cruisers who responded at the start of this thread (a very long time ago) with the blogs of young cruisers they've met out there sailing (including me and my husband), but it's clear there ARE a large number of young people out cruising. And not just cruising -- I follow a lot of Travel Blogs, and there are even more travelers and adventurers out there living their dreams, though not on boats. I love reading about people taking steps towards fulfilling their dreams on and off boats, however long it takes them to get there.

But even if the numbers of young cruisers WERE dwindling, I'm baffled by posts by people like you who seem to just want to knock people down for not being as good as you, for not living the way you are living. If you want to be a helpful voice on this forum, why not offer encouraging words to boost people's confidence that they CAN live their dream, whatever that may be, and give them stories of overcoming hardship successfully rather than filling threads with negative comments like, "Nothing has changed, blame the world for your sorry ass reasons why you can't get it done" and dismissing anyone who hasn't gotten over their fears or obstacles to be more like you.

If you really are living your dream, I would think you would be a bit happier, more patient and a bit more encouraging to people trying to get to where you are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turf to Surf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
wolfe,

We would love to see you in the S. Pacific in April 2014. But you have never left port on your own and you have a lot of truth to learn about yourself and those that will be around you. If you continue on about the more well off with a negative slant you will find yourself isolated. The world cruising community has no material status, we all, rich or poor help each other and care about each other. There is no value to money only how a sailor and his crew carry themselves and how well he or she keeps their boat. We will risk our lives to save another fellow cruiser especially when he has done everything to keep a good vessel.

I have met many wanna be's like you, they rarely don't get far. Usually they make it to San Fran or if lucky to Mexico and then no farther. They are bitter and depressed, they are stuck in some stink hole at anchor till they and the boat rots out. Get a better outlook to all of those around and enjoy your life and those around you and you will find that the cruising world is a pretty nice world to be in.

We hope you make it and we can buy you a beer. Best of luck to you and your beautiful boat.

Desert Rat,

Make the ballad a seaworthy event. Don't stop till the ballad is complete, Bob Dylan has never stopped and he is like you and I old and and at least as grey as I am. And I hear that Bob is fearful every time he writes.
Good Luck...
Everything you say about world cruising community is what I have known for years and what has pushed me forward. As my brother is based in Panama and has loads of connections there I plan on making that at least my base of sorts. When people tell mt "Good luck on your trip" I tell them "A trip is something you come back from, I'm not coming back".
mark2gmtrans likes this.
Old 06-27-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmeandthed View Post
The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
I don't know about other young people. But i do know my son since I raised him like others raise their Thoroughbred. I shaped my children since young age both academically and extra-curriculumly .

My son enjoys sailing but not cruising. Sailing around the world is just too boring for him. Last year after he graduated, I asked him if you wanted take 2 years off sailing around the world with his daddy. He would rather take a job and get only 2 week vacation. He prefers sailing the 14 ft dinghy that we have. He loves snow boarding, skiing, cycling, rock climbing, driving. Cruising on a sailboat will bored to him to death.

Besides, he told me that only old and overweight people sail

That was him a few years ago,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWlNb22ETyE

Look at it this way, when I was in college, I didn't sail either despite most all my classmate's parent have sailboats, and had invited my to go. I refused.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashahacker View Post
I'm not sure if you noticed the cruisers who responded at the start of this thread (a very long time ago) with the blogs of young cruisers they've met out there sailing (including me and my husband), but it's clear there ARE a large number of young people out cruising. And not just cruising -- I follow a lot of Travel Blogs, and there are even more travelers and adventurers out there living their dreams, though not on boats. I love reading about people taking steps towards fulfilling their dreams on and off boats, however long it takes them to get there.

But even if the numbers of young cruisers WERE dwindling, I'm baffled by posts by people like you who seem to just want to knock people down for not being as good as you, for not living the way you are living. If you want to be a helpful voice on this forum, why not offer encouraging words to boost people's confidence that they CAN live their dream, whatever that may be, and give them stories of overcoming hardship successfully rather than filling threads with negative comments like, "Nothing has changed, blame the world for your sorry ass reasons why you can't get it done" and dismissing anyone who hasn't gotten over their fears or obstacles to be more like you.

If you really are living your dream, I would think you would be a bit happier, more patient and a bit more encouraging to people trying to get to where you are.
I guess you didn't read my posts throughout this entire thread did you. I'm the one who continually defended the young cruisers out there and have said all along that there are as many young cruisers as there were back in 1970 some 43 years ago when most of this started. I only encourage those worth encouraging and those are the ones that get off their arse and go one dimensional to get it done be they young family or single. That is the only way in this day in age a young man or woman can do it. But that is how it was 43 years ago too, we had our problems with an unjust war, the draft and the goverment of Richy Nixon.

Encouraging? There aint no one more encouraging than me because I'm giving you real time advise. I want to see every young person who wants to go sailing around the world to do so. But I'm telling you if your making excuses like so many here are you won't make it because it is a tough world out there and has always been that way.

And Happy ! There is no one more happy at this moment than we are. A new beautiful ocean going boat that we worked hard for, off to do long passages. Out to meet new friends both cruisers and locals around the world. Surfing, fishing, eating local, learning about cultures everywhere. We are very happy maybe it is you who are not so happy but I don't know about that. But one thing we do know is that if you don't give it everything you got and that means leaving a lot behind that is part of your life you have very little chance of being the one % of the one % that actually go sailing the world. We wish you the very best in living the dream it is not easy. Believe me on that we have done it twice and hopefully tomorrow we start the third the big guy willing.

Get it done!

Cheers
elspru likes this.

Last edited by hannah2; 06-27-2013 at 04:37 PM.