The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree536Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

challo3
you and half the work force here don't have green card. Irish, English, South Arican, South American, Eastern European, Icelandic,Canadian, Uzbekastan, Ukrainian, French, all represented here.
Old 07-02-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Interesting statistic...

Minimum wage in 1968 (I'd say the "peak" of the baby boomers lifetimes): $1.60
Equivalent in 2012 dollars...$10.57
Annualized income if you worked for minimum wage in 1968 equivalent 2012 dollars:$21,140
Federal minimum wage in 2012 real: $7.25
Annualized income if you're working for 2012 minimum wage: $14,500

Things that make you go hmmm....
elspru likes this.
Old 07-02-2012
KNOT KNOWN

That's why you are better off working in a bar/rest. in a tourist town. On a rainy tuesday in Sept., I made $300 a night at the big night club in K.W., during spring break double that! American dream suburbanites ,that talk down to my wife when she waits on them at the iconic wharf side seafood place, don't realize she's taking home between 300 and 500 bucks a day! She probably makes more than some of them. And they alway's ask. " How do you live here, what do you do?" Even if you are only walking with 100, living on a little sail boat with no rent, cable, water , electric, car insurance, car payment and an I phone, you can live a nice life. Get a Metro Pcs phone for 40 buck's a month and a bicycle and put the rest in the bank.
DavidB.UK and Brent Swain like this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-02-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2012

skaterp14 is on a distinguished road

I just turned 25 and can not wait to cast off. I live in a small town on the Chesapeake Bay and have been on the water my whole life and about 6 months ago I bought my first sailboat, a 1978 mac 22. Since then I have been sailing it every chance I get, done a few overnight trips, and the more that I am on the boat, the more I just want to keep going and not turn back for the dock. I chose not to get a $20,000 car. I choose not to eat out every other night. I chose not to buy that $40,000 truck. I do not have direct tv. I chose not to get that $170,000 house. I bought a 1989 honda civic for $100 and put several of my own hours of work into it, not too long ago I took it from VA to Keywest. I bought a 1999 pickup. I bought a 700 square foot house that was about to fall down for $20,000 , $20,000 later i have a home that is beautiful and I owe about $30,000 on it now. I work full time and so does my GF. What I am trying to say is I am a young person that chose not to go to college and get that huge debt to work my whole life and have things that will not matter in 20 years. I made my own choices, and didnt do what I thought society thought I should do, and I am a lot more happy than many of the people I know my age, and I have less, not because I have to BUT because I choose to. In 2 more years I plan to buy the cruising boat that I want ( a project boat 30ish foot) and make it what I want, keeping it simple, and living my life, not tied down. and not having to work till I am 70 to pay for my house. I do not make a lot of money BUT i dont have an i pod, smartphone, playstation, 70 in tv, paved driveway, brand new lawnmore, heatpump, direct tv, or a 2005 car that I will have to pay on for 3 more years. what I do have is beautiful sunsets, captain morgan and pepsi, a car that gets me where I want to go, and a house that keeps me dry.
Old 07-02-2012

Allen-deckard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl:891610
Interesting statistic...

Minimum wage in 1968 (I'd say the "peak" of the baby boomers lifetimes): $1.60
Equivalent in 2012 dollars...$10.57
Annualized income if you worked for minimum wage in 1968 equivalent 2012 dollars:$21,140
Federal minimum wage in 2012 real: $7.25
Annualized income if you're working for 2012 minimum wage: $14,500

Things that make you go hmmm....
Should factor that to how many married couples had women that either didn't work (it was socially acceptable before i get pounded) or didn't work full time or worked full time but didn't make as much as the husband.

Im not even saying your wrong and im not going to do the research just that its apples and oranges in my opinion.
Old 07-02-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Talking Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterp14 View Post
I just turned 25 and can not wait to cast off. I live in a small town on the Chesapeake Bay and have been on the water my whole life and about 6 months ago I bought my first sailboat, a 1978 mac 22. Since then I have been sailing it every chance I get, done a few overnight trips, and the more that I am on the boat, the more I just want to keep going and not turn back for the dock. I chose not to get a $20,000 car. I choose not to eat out every other night. I chose not to buy that $40,000 truck. I do not have direct tv. I chose not to get that $170,000 house. I bought a 1989 honda civic for $100 and put several of my own hours of work into it, not too long ago I took it from VA to Keywest. I bought a 1999 pickup. I bought a 700 square foot house that was about to fall down for $20,000 , $20,000 later i have a home that is beautiful and I owe about $30,000 on it now. I work full time and so does my GF. What I am trying to say is I am a young person that chose not to go to college and get that huge debt to work my whole life and have things that will not matter in 20 years. I made my own choices, and didnt do what I thought society thought I should do, and I am a lot more happy than many of the people I know my age, and I have less, not because I have to BUT because I choose to. In 2 more years I plan to buy the cruising boat that I want ( a project boat 30ish foot) and make it what I want, keeping it simple, and living my life, not tied down. and not having to work till I am 70 to pay for my house. I do not make a lot of money BUT i dont have an i pod, smartphone, playstation, 70 in tv, paved driveway, brand new lawnmore, heatpump, direct tv, or a 2005 car that I will have to pay on for 3 more years. what I do have is beautiful sunsets, captain morgan and pepsi, a car that gets me where I want to go, and a house that keeps me dry.
HOW DARE YOU F UP THAT CAPTAIN MORGAN WITH PEPSI!!!! YOU WHERE ON A ROLL TILL YOU SAID THAT. DRINK IT OUT OF THE BOTTLE MAN, MAYBE ICE WHEN YOU FEEL DAINTY, JEEEZ!! But seriously, good job.. Get the word out dude, you are living by example.
DavidB.UK likes this.
Old 07-02-2012

Pegu club is on a distinguished road

Sailing as a hobby is likely not considered all that cool by most twenty somethings even if they live near water, and it requires a lot of money if you want to get into a used fifteen or twenty foot boat. (gotta be able to take your friends along) Most twenty somethings would much rather spend that money and time on cars and other more ephemeral consumer goods. Sadly most young adults lack the ability to think outside of the mall and car life style, and yes give themselves the appearance of being somewhat slothful as you seem to have noticed. That and it takes a small amount of commitment and you have to learn how to do it and that immediately excludes a large percentage of humans not just the twenty somethings.

That and the Entire sailing industry has done themselves no favors in this, and is dramatically lacking in any noticeable way of promoting sailing as a fun thing to get involved in. Think "you got Milk" and the dairy industry, its just not there for sailing in any real form.
Old 07-02-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Pull'n their pants up, and straighten'n out their ball cap would be a good start. We need a Hip Hop Jimmy Buffet-esque cultural hero to start a sailing revival. ( not that I care to much for that dude)
DavidB.UK likes this.
Old 07-02-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road

I totally agree that instant gratification has a lot to do with it. It amazes me how people think you're crazy when you say, " I want to leave this career path/house swapping/car leasing lifestyle buy a boat and chill on it somewhere warm."

Right now I'm in a backpacking hotspot in Panama, and I see my peers dropping some serious coin to sleep in a dorm room, surf the internet, and drink their faces off at night. When I tell them I sailed here on a boat, they respond with pretty blank faces.

To me I like hearing about the young sailors at 16 with the dream to go cruising. It is great stuff, it all starts with dreaming, then you achieve it through smart and independent decisions, personal sacrifice and hardwork.

I think our generation has always had cheerleaders supporting them from the sideline. Then all of a sudden when it's a "crazy" idea like living on a boat, no one is cheering anymore and the dream dies.

It's great to look at the min wage in real terms, but also look at boat prices in real terms.. They are cheap.

I think there is something to be said for lack of hands on/practical skills. Not a lot of parents were teaching their kids how to do carpentry or work on motors, they were thrown in front of a tv or computer. But what I don't get is you can always learn skills, and for some reason, unless it is in a school or certificate program, a lot of young people don't bother learning skills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2012

Beaverkill is on a distinguished road

This is not only a sailing issue. All outdoor sports are seeing a steady decline in youth participation numbers. I am new to sailing, but I am a fly fishing guide/Instructor and also teach hunter education for my state. The outdoor sports industries have been trying to come up with solutions for years…I see it in fly fishing a lot…Everyone is getting older and there just isnt the influx of young people… I don’t know the exact reasons but some of the common issues that are debated are single parent homes, overworked parents with little free time, overscheduled sports, wider variety of sports and activities available…I have organized quite a few kids fishing birthday parties over the last 5 years and it amazes me how many of the kids fathers have never fished… or have never shot a gun, let alone hunt for their own food…But there are other sports (golf, snowboarding,etc..) that are seeing steady growth in the younger demographic…Maybe it is the way the sports are marketed or just social changes…My oldest son is 6 years old..He plays soccer, baseball, archery, fishes, karate and starts cub scouts in the fall…As a family our schedule is full and finding family time to do anything is difficult with our overscheduled lives but I still push the natural world and one of the reasons that I am learning to sail is to ensure that my boys will have a well rounded education in the outdoors... I did not come from money and my parents always struggled to make ends meet but we had a small farm and always had food…I worked my way through college and expanded my outdoor education to scuba, rock climbing/mountaineering, skiing, boating…If it had to do with the outdoors, I wanted to learn and do….Maybe I wasn’t excellent at any one sport but I was good at many…Today everyone wants to excel at one thing..To be specialized instead of well rounded in many different areas… I don’t have an answer and there may not be an answer to the issues but if someone wants to learn to sail, there are so many ways to learn without a big layout of money…
DavidB.UK likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.