The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 60 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashahacker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
I've posted on this subject way back and I see there are new dreamers without a chance to make it work because they have every excuse in the world.
My wife and I leave tomorrow for the start of our third journey around the world or close to it. We are 60, my first time was at 20 back in 1972, I was shat poor but made it work, why? Because I wanted to and nothing was going to stop me. The excuses here are the same as back in 1972, exactly the same. Most of you won't ever get it done, you will just talk about it till you get tired of hearing your own excuses and move on to some other thing to have excuses for. I'm not rubbing it in I mean no bad feelings but that is the way it has been and will always be. Some live the dream and some just dream and most others don't even dream. Nothing has changed, blame the world for your sorry ass reasons why you can't get it done.

Good luck to those who make it.

Cheers

Steve and Tracy
SV RC Louise.
[Bienvenue chez Boreal[/url]
I'm not sure if you noticed the cruisers who responded at the start of this thread (a very long time ago) with the blogs of young cruisers they've met out there sailing (including me and my husband), but it's clear there ARE a large number of young people out cruising. And not just cruising -- I follow a lot of Travel Blogs, and there are even more travelers and adventurers out there living their dreams, though not on boats. I love reading about people taking steps towards fulfilling their dreams on and off boats, however long it takes them to get there.

But even if the numbers of young cruisers WERE dwindling, I'm baffled by posts by people like you who seem to just want to knock people down for not being as good as you, for not living the way you are living. If you want to be a helpful voice on this forum, why not offer encouraging words to boost people's confidence that they CAN live their dream, whatever that may be, and give them stories of overcoming hardship successfully rather than filling threads with negative comments like, "Nothing has changed, blame the world for your sorry ass reasons why you can't get it done" and dismissing anyone who hasn't gotten over their fears or obstacles to be more like you.

If you really are living your dream, I would think you would be a bit happier, more patient and a bit more encouraging to people trying to get to where you are.
Actually, if you go back and re-read hannah2's earlier posts to this thread, I think you'd realize how wrong your characterization of their point of view is...

Few people contributing to this thread have more solid credentials from which to evaluate how worldwide cruising has evolved over the last few decades, and it appears you've largely missed the point he's attempting to make...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013

mrmic92 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

As a school teacher....I can tell you I have seen a decline in students with the patience to learn knew things..or the intrinsic value....could be sailing just isn't easy for them....with video games...24/7 internet....quick meaningless messaging and social media...ordering food by a number.....I think you get my point.....easier to jump on a jet ski
Old 06-27-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

The is is a "sociologically constricted, emotionally constipated cultural bubble" boats are mostly an expression of material wealth and cruising is at best away to escape from the modern world for a brief period of time. The cruising we are talking about is a different mindset or lifestyle....it is a way of life. All of the stresses of modern day life and the trappings we are lead to believe are required no long apply, expression of and/or emulation of materiel wealth and status are gone with it. Did you ever wonder why alot of "celebrities" like to sail...because they are seen as sailors not what the rest of the world sees them as.
Old 06-27-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Want to know why im the only 25way year old i know who owns his own sailboat and actively sails it solo?
because its hard work and damn expensive and sometimes scary as hell.

Its much easier to play w.e. video game is popular right now, smoke a fatty and get some moochy from your girl in a nice air conditioned and safe apartment.

Sailing is dirty, sweaty, slow, scary (for solo) and expensive. Must people my age dont even read more than 160 characters at a time, the limit of most text messages.

Sure everytime i say to some chich or dude i live on my own boat theyre always like thats so awesome and cool i wish i could do that, but really they dont. They just see a nice white pretty sailboat and have no idea what it takes to even get it safely away from the dock.
hell sometimes i envy the power boaters myself...

I used to dream of circumnavigation but now i realize id be bored out of my mind most the time. Instead i will just island hop and visit all the cool places around the carribean then sell the boat and begin my land adventures over seas starting in india.

I love my boat, as fickle a bi**h as she is sometimes. Simply put most folks my age are lazy as hell and broke from buying designer shades, good pot, and name brand liquor. Girls want make up and extensions not sweat and raw knuckles from banging around on diesels.

Guys just want to visit islands not spend the time plotting courses, learning navigation, or maintaining a sailing vessel.

Ive been at this two years and the only other guy i know under thirty is a guy i took out sailing who fell in love and worked two jobs until he too bought his first boat. We are good friends.

Not a lot of young people sail because it takes a special breed and a hard work ethic that sadly has been lost or forgotten among many of my peers.

Nothing better than a solo sail in 15 to 20 with a nice angle of heel and a sunny sky.
nothing worse than a run away diesel and rocks bring you and your creation closer to doom every second.

Most people my my age dont want the responsability. Its a lot of work owning and maintaing a sailboat.most people my age would simply rather say cool i wish i could do that then actually do it.

All the power to you circumnavigators. Takes balls of brass to cross open oceans. of course those balls get smaller with every extra set of hands. Me being a solo sailor, no thanks. Two or three day crossings are just fine for me. I still own my own boat and i still know my bowditch and chapmans. Its not that i couldnt do it, i just know i dont want to. Ive nothing to prove to anyone except myself. Its my life and my boat.

Still looking for that twenty something hottie to come anchor next to me. That would be something. Alas, they are too busy sunning themselves on the beach and talking to jenna about how robs such a douche bag for buying two carats instead of three.
bljones and 34crealock like this.
Old 06-27-2013

melody1204 is on a distinguished road

While the economy certainly took its toll on everyone young and old, and probably a large part of the reason fewer people may be cruising, I think we'll see some changes in the next few years, and perhaps more young people cruising.

For one, I think more and more people are realizing the American Dream isn't what we once thought it was. It's not necessarily owning a house or driving a nice car or even having the perfect job. I think people are realizing that personal fulfillment and happiness is worth more than "owning" (or rather owing money on) a house. Not putting down anyone whose dream it is to own a nice house. Just saying that now it's a more personal choice and not necessarily the concept of the "American Dream" anymore.

Secondly, I think the biggest reason (to date) that more young people aren't out there cruising is because of a lack of disposable income. The older cruisers we've met are living off their savings and retirement. What young person has that kind of cash? However, with the advances of technology, that's changing.

I'm 37 (which by "cruising" standards is pretty young) and I work full-time from the boat, working for the same company I've been with for 6 years. Having the ability to remain connected to wifi via our Verizon hotspot has singlehandedly saved my job and one of the primary reasons we're able to continue doing this, since we don't have a big nest egg or retirement fund.

More and more companies allow telecommuting and I think because of that, more people will realize the potential that this kind of flexibility can bring. No longer are the days of sitting in an office with no windows. Now my office can be the boat, it can be the beach, it can be a small cafe.

I think in a few years the capability of remote access will have a bigger effect on people getting out there and fulfilling their dreams than the economy had on stifling those dreams.

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.
~ e.e cummings
Old 06-28-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

If you've had your face in computer game you may not have noticed the black gold rush going on. For Canada it's all about Fort Macmurray In the states it's fracking in the Dakotas. Huge money for hard work. No reason why you cant peel back a couple of hundred thou clear in less than two years. Apparently many following this thread find them though. I'm a bit slow out the gate on this rush but had my licks on the Arctic oil boom back in the 80's .I'd already built my boat and picked scrap metal and bottles to pay the 12 grand it cost me. It was a great chick magnet so I was motivated. My later motivation was more fiscal than physical but reasonably successful also. I know it can be done , boys and girls, What's your dream?
Old 06-28-2013

elspru is on a distinguished road

spent three days reading this thread..

Rather than why are there so few, how about why are there so many, and going to be more as time goes on?

Sailing is a sustainable means of transportation, it doesn't require non-renewable gasoline, if an engine is really desired can be bio-diesel.
peak oil, carbon, methane, toxic fumes yadda yadda blah blah blah...
Why not get a drivers license? (though I have one) Because it's just more burden on the environment. If you have the time, you can go anywhere by bike, sailboat or hike, all eco-friendly means of transportation.
people have crossed america in as little as a week using pedal power alone with streamlined recumbent bicycles (commercially available).

Anyways I have a rather different perspective from my peers (I'm 25), as spirituality has always been important to me. When I went through my "enlightenment/awakening/illumination" I came to realize that harming others, including plants, animals, things and the planet was harming me -- so obviously I stopped that, and started doing as much good as I could for all those. BTW it really hurts me that someone actually said they liked mowing, that's like saying they like to cut tall poppies, clear cutting forests, and destroying nature for the sake of conformational pleasure.

In current society we have united-nations supporting sustainable development (planet), peta supporting animals, organic farming supporting plants, and diyers supporting things, with ancient animism encapsulating all. So I live sustainably, am mostly vegan, eat organic food, and Do It Myself as much as possible.

School was a boring daytime prison, fortunately for me I managed to sleep through most of it, as I would stay up late at night instead researching things that interested me.
For other people however, school is something likeable, the indoctrination is that they need to become slaves to the dollar (jesus), the banks (holy spirit) and the government(god). They unfortunately believe that school is all the learning they needed to do, so didn't do the research when for instance buying up 200k condos, in an 80% over-inflated real-estate market (Canada), in the midst of the beginning of the bubbles deflation.

All that stuff, with the whole people not making enough money, or economy not being good, is just people that have made bad life decisions from not knowing how to learn for themselves, mostly anyways. It's part of natural selection, they may like choices that makes it So expensive for them to live they can't have children, well then they get Darwin awards, for taking their own .... er lets put it lightly unadaptability ... out of the gene pool.

Anyways long story short, I remembered my past lives, many had sailing, such as viking, merchant and pirate. Back then there was no "cruising" per say, it was mostly task-oriented sailing, such as for transportation.
Though admittedly as the centuries have been rolling by, more and more time can be spent on a boat.

Only a couple centuries ago Yachts were invented, the earliest clubs being in the 1700's. Living aboard a cruising yacht didn't happen till early 1900's Harry Pidgeon the first cruising liveaboard on record to my knowledge.
Since then cruising and living aboard has experienced exponential growth.

With the Canadian housing bubble on the verge of collapse, the world's strongest economy is about to falter. If things get bad enough -- which the rich, banks and governments are really trying to accomplish. Then people will be Forced to live sustainable eco-friendly lives. As they simply wont be able to afford buying useless crap (cars, processed-food, condos, big houses, suburbs).
More will likely have to turn to living on boats, trailers, farms.

In all my lifetimes, there has never been such a ridiculous overabundance of wealth just pouring in every door, nook and cranny -- just yesterday I found a toonie($2) on the ground. Neither my wife or me, work for others/money, we have an apartment in an upscale neighbourhood, eat delicious organic food, have a baby, and still manage to save $250-$500 a month towards a sailboat and property. We already have more than enough to buy a boat, though plan is to learn the ropes and engine some more on these new yachts (quite different from the schooners of yesteryear) before moving aboard, and let the little one at least get to solid foods and walking, so mommy has more time and energy for the move. We live way better than royalty did a mere millenia ago. I could get a job if I wanted to, I get job offers frequently, though really I don't need the money... and rather spend the time with family. If I ever want anything, typically I just cast a magic spell, and in a little while it arrives.

We have an annual family income of less than 30k courtesy of God (the government) -- didn't know they gave out free money before casting for stable income for doing nothing. Admittedly it's a smart thing they did, social-security or SIN as it's called in Canada (social insurance). if they weren't robbing the rich for the benefit of the poor in an automated fashion, I'd have to go back to piracy, as been doing for millenia. Those skills aren't required in this lifetime at the moment, working on new skills, like long-life having a family and garden. Though if TSHTF hard enough maybe will have some fun :-) Yarr. Most likely it wont though, and technology going to keep going forward towards the technological singularity, then can have fun with reproducing robots :-) om. Hey that'll also be more young "people" even if robots, since this world is water, best way to get around to remote areas outside government-control is via the water -- would probably have to dodge all those luddites that don't like self-replicating robots.

Anyways, ya, so young people go sailing, that's for sure, when I took a dinghy sailing course most of them were young. Not as many at keelboat clubs, though a few ya.

I wouldn't worry about the young-adults, or older adults, some will work themselves to death and an early grave doing what they were told was right. Others will do what they like, and live a long happy life doing it.

I find video-games atrociously boring, for boys anyways it's usually them "kill sport games", which don't in any way match up to the real thing, or how it was when we played those games IRL centuries ago.
I like IRL games(life lessons), and IRL people that's true love,
the virtual stuff is just negotiations (a crush perhaps),
at some point gotta decide,
and do it IRL.

Last edited by elspru; 06-28-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

uuuuuh, most young folk dont have that kind of time or money. I'm in my fourtys and with halfway decent job making around 70k I barely have enough cash to get a 40 year old boat. And forget about crusing. I might be able to afford a week or two off. How does one even acess their money while crusing. Or pay their bills for that matter? I'd have to somehow make a grand a week and get it back into my direct deposits so the bills get paid. Not an easy thing to do for most of us. If you are well off enough to do the cruising thing you are luckier than you think. Throw a million bucks in my bank and I'm there.
Old 06-28-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Want to know why im the only 25way year old i know who owns his own sailboat and actively sails it solo?
because its hard work and @#!*% expensive and sometimes scary as @#!*% .

Its much easier to play w.e. video game is popular right now, smoke a fatty and get some moochy from your girl in a nice air conditioned and safe apartment.

Sailing is dirty, sweaty, slow, scary (for solo) and expensive. Must people my age dont even read more than 160 characters at a time, the limit of most text messages.

Sure everytime i say to some chich or dude i live on my own boat theyre always like thats so awesome and cool i wish i could do that, but really they dont. They just see a nice white pretty sailboat and have no idea what it takes to even get it safely away from the dock.
@#!*% sometimes i envy the power boaters myself...

I used to dream of circumnavigation but now i realize id be bored out of my mind most the time. Instead i will just island hop and visit all the cool places around the carribean then sell the boat and begin my land adventures over seas starting in india.

I love my boat, as fickle a bi**h as she is sometimes. Simply put most folks my age are lazy as @#!*% and broke from buying designer shades, good pot, and name brand liquor. Girls want make up and extensions not sweat and raw knuckles from banging around on diesels.

Guys just want to visit islands not spend the time plotting courses, learning navigation, or maintaining a sailing vessel.

Ive been at this two years and the only other guy i know under thirty is a guy i took out sailing who fell in love and worked two jobs until he too bought his first boat. We are good friends.

Not a lot of young people sail because it takes a special breed and a hard work ethic that sadly has been lost or forgotten among many of my peers.

Nothing better than a solo sail in 15 to 20 with a nice angle of heel and a sunny sky.
nothing worse than a run away diesel and rocks bring you and your creation closer to doom every second.

Most people my my age dont want the responsability. Its a lot of work owning and maintaing a sailboat.most people my age would simply rather say cool i wish i could do that then actually do it.

All the power to you circumnavigators. Takes balls of brass to cross open oceans. of course those balls get smaller with every extra set of hands. Me being a solo sailor, no thanks. Two or three day crossings are just fine for me. I still own my own boat and i still know my bowditch and chapmans. Its not that i couldnt do it, i just know i dont want to. Ive nothing to prove to anyone except myself. Its my life and my boat.

Still looking for that twenty something hottie to come anchor next to me. That would be something. Alas, they are too busy sunning themselves on the beach and talking to jenna about how robs such a @#!*% bag for buying two carats instead of three.
I was you once. 20 years ago I was the only kid I knew who, owned, lived and sailed on his boat. And my peers where intrested in the same activity's you mentioned. Is see a lot of kids trying to do it down in the key's. They're just squat'n on derilict sail boats really. Being in my early 20's and sailing the Caribbean set me apart from other dudes. I can't actually say I was the only one, but one of a very few. I also sold my boat and traveled through Central America for a few years, then made my way back to key West and bought her back. Any way's, I'd like to see more young ones buy up all these old good boats and be adventerous. Us bare bones dudes just need to get the word out that it can be done for a fraction of the cost with a fraction of the gadgets. We need to let these kids know that you should not need a computer to navigate for you, or an electirc motor to raise your anchor. I remember cruising the Bahamas in the 70's as a kid with my bare bones Grandpa, and the anchorages where full of young people on small sail boats, showering with a plastic Pepsi bottle that had been set out in the sun to get warm. As a kid, I could'nt wait to get big enough to get out there. Then in the late 80's when I did, I was the only one out there. Like I was a day late to the party or something.
skaterp14 likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-28-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Elspru what an awesome mentality. We have much in common. I will pm you later to find more about you.

Aberahamx, you make plenty of money sir. I think you just choose to have too many expenses. House, cars, tvs, eating out perhaps? Ive never made more then 25ki in my life until this year and let me tell you if i spent two years making 70 i would have no debt, a nice boat, a new vespa scooter, and be taking vacations to india, burma, costa rica, thailand ect where my dollars stretched like warm plastic.

Perhaps instead of focusing on your investments you should focus on expenses?

For all i know yo putting three kids through college and supporting a wife in chemo which would make you a saint. I know nothing of your personal situation. I just know the more stuff we buy the less freedom we have. Good luck to you sir.

Capt. Aaron well done truly. My boat is basic but it does have gps and an inboard diesel and a solar panal and three batteries and an inverted.

This is why i moved to new smyrna beach where my world class sailing uncle and semi world grandfatjer live. Yesterday i got my first real grip on dead reckoning. After my college astronomy class i will learn from them my sextant and celestial nav although i wonder if really irs worth it since light pollution is taking away all the stars.

However by next summer my gps will be a knot reader only. I want to be able to navigate and chart by hand and instrument only.

Your right about the bahamas. When i was a boy most the boats were under thirty five feet now they are all forty five or up with older ppl on board. Thats why i plan to head south past exuma to the out islands. Self sufficency is my goal. Right now i moved, or motored here, two weeks ago. Tonight i start work a t the best restraunt in town as a server from four to ten and monday i start for century mngt as a maintenace man pulling sixteen per hour. So im looking at about forty five k atleast this year. Thats twenty more than ive ever had. So exciting because i only need six or seven hunrded a month to cover all expenses so i should be able to save over twenty this year alone. Good thing i already have my passport!

If you work hard and give effort good thingd will come. If you sit around waiting for oppurtunity to find you expect to be there awhile. Where do you live now capt. Aaron?