The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 62 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspru View Post
The only way I can imagine that you are spending 70k without enough left over for a boat, is because you have an expensive car and/or expensive house or even other huge debts. Or possibly just a lot of frivilous expenditures, like fast-food, restaurants, parties, consumerist goods etc.
-here in metro NY if I was making $70k per year I'd be lucky to sail my old sunfish in a pond and live in my Dad's basement. Sad but true.

Taking care of a family the old fashioned way is very expensive.

* and 2 kids in college is running about $30k/ year even though both kids got partial scholarships.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 06-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
spent three days reading this thread..

We have an annual family income of less than 30k courtesy of God (the government) -- didn't know they gave out free money before casting for stable income for doing nothing. Admittedly it's a smart thing they did, social-security or SIN as it's called in Canada (social insurance). if they weren't robbing the rich for the benefit of the poor in an automated fashion, I'd have to go back to piracy, as been doing for millenia. Those skills aren't required in this lifetime at the moment, working on new skills, like long-life having a family and garden.
Sorry, do you mean you're living off of Welfare(Social Insurance), when you are both perfectly capable of working? If so, I'm afraid I really don't agree with the way that you are preparing for cruising...

The rest sounds pretty good though. I sold my first boat after a lot of learning and a lot of upgrades, now I'm working 7 days a week and living in a storage locker, which will soon lead to a much nicer and bigger boat I hope, the kind I could afford living comfortably every day.
Old 06-29-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
spent three days reading this thread..

In all my lifetimes, there has never been such a ridiculous overabundance of wealth just pouring in every door, nook and cranny -- just yesterday I found a toonie($2) on the ground. Neither my wife or me, work for others/money, we have an apartment in an upscale neighbourhood, eat delicious organic food, have a baby, and still manage to save $250-$500 a month towards a sailboat and property.

We have an annual family income of less than 30k courtesy of God (the government) -- didn't know they gave out free money before casting for stable income for doing nothing. Admittedly it's a smart thing they did, social-security or SIN as it's called in Canada (social insurance). if they weren't robbing the rich for the benefit of the poor in an automated fashion, I'd have to go back to piracy, as been doing for millenia. Those skills aren't required in this lifetime at the moment, working on new skills, like long-life having a family and garden. Though if TSHTF hard enough maybe will have some fun :-) Yarr. Most likely it wont though, and technology going to keep going forward towards the technological singularity, then can have fun with reproducing robots :-) om. Hey that'll also be more young "people" even if robots, since this world is water, best way to get around to remote areas outside government-control is via the water -- would probably have to dodge all those luddites that don't like self-replicating robots.
A few things struck me about this post...

1. Elspru nor his wife have a job.

2. They live off of welfare and they feel they are entitled to it.

3. If TSHTF hard enough he plans on going to piracy for a living, meaning he is a thief at heart and possibly would not mind murdering people, as this is what pirates do.

4. He believes that he has been alive for centuries and has been reincarnated somehow.....

Conclusion on basis of empirical evidence...ELSPRU is nuts

I knew anyone who was some kind of vegan would show up to be a nut LOL. I mean if you do not like steak and milk and cheese you just have to have a few screws loose.

I am surely going to have to keep this in the back of my mind when seeing future posts.
Old 06-29-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

I didnt catch that.
Anyone living in willing idleness is only increasing the burden on their fellow man. A man works for his food. A boy ask for handouts. Sorry.
Old 06-29-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

OOPs did the math wrong my income is $13K...which in the US is still poor, but in Central America should be just fine.
Old 06-29-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
OOPs did the math wrong my income is $13K...which in the US is still poor, but in Central America should be just fine.
Thousand bucks a month is good, you need about that much to live well.
Old 06-30-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I don't think he said he was a vegan.
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I don't think he said he was a vegan.
Oh ye of little faith...

From the Living with Livestock aboard thread

Quote:
As a pesco-vegan just wanted to say how sad I am for the cows having their young ones taken away, all so some humans could have milk long after they themselves have been weaned.

A much easier alternative is simply to use vegan milk, all you need is a blender, water, and some kind of nut, like almond, coconut or your choice. Coconut cream (coco milk concentrated), unlike powdered milk tastes great and is good for you.
Not only does he state he is some sort of pesky vegan, but he suggest you drink nut milk.

You should know by now that I do not pull stuff out of my arse...

Just for giggle here are the definitions for a pesky or pesco vegan from Urban Dictionary

Quote:
1. pesco-vegan

One who follows a diet that includes seafood like fish and shellfish but excludes all other animal products, including terrestrial meat, dairy products, fish, and animal by-products.
My pesco-vegan friend loved sashimi too much to give it up.

2. pesco-vegan

One who follows a strict Vegan Diet:

no beef, poultry, seafood, eggs, dairy, honey or gelatin while avoiding wearing/buying/owning fur, down, silk & leather.

with the ONLY exception being the consumption fish (i.e. farm raised salmon or tuna)
Vegetarians & Pescetarians may eggs and dairy.

Vegans & Pesco-Vegans do not eat eggs or dairy, honey or gelatin. They avoid wearing/buying/owning fur, down, silk & leather.

3. pesco-vegan

A creature that does not exist. It is impossible to be vegan and eat fish. It is like saying you are an Atheist-Christian.

V- I'm vegan.
PV- Oh really? I'm a pesco-vegan!
V- ?

Last edited by mark2gmtrans; 06-30-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-30-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

It's obvious that the world is full of weirdos, wackos and losers mingling with the normal folks.Sometimes it's hard to figure which category you belong to. But with all the whining and sniveling about how hard life is I thought I'd tell you about today, My 70 th birthday and I sailed the boat I built 40 years ago for 6 hours in the sun with 12 knots of wind. The guests on board , all educated ,interesting and moneyed, enjoyed the sailing and left me with over 12 hundred dollars for the cruising fund. I do this for 3 months a year and spend winters in Thailand . I realize this is a tough life but I've made my choices and I have to live with that .
bljones, elspru and Sal Paradise like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Len For This Useful Post:
Sal Paradise (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
It's obvious that the world is full of weirdos, wackos and losers mingling with the normal folks.Sometimes it's hard to figure which category you belong to. But with all the whining and sniveling about how hard life is I thought I'd tell you about today, My 70 th birthday and I sailed the boat I built 40 years ago for 6 hours in the sun with 12 knots of wind. The guests on board , all educated ,interesting and moneyed, enjoyed the sailing and left me with over 12 hundred dollars for the cruising fund. I do this for 3 months a year and spend winters in Thailand . I realize this is a tough life but I've made my choices and I have to live with that .
I think that is great, and wish you a Happy Birthday! and wish you many more. I hope that I will also be able to enjoy sailing on my own 70th birthday, and if I can get people to kick in that much for a day on the boat I will have a birthday or three a week LOL.