The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 64 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspru View Post
Personally, I have a small online business, selling various things non-profit (I see profit as theft), only basic cost of materials and labour, with instructions available to DIY....
I know it might be a shock, but in order to have a business, on of the key elements is to have a profit. If you are not making a profit, you have a hobby and not a business. Profit is what allows you to buy your stock inventory and pay for things like supplies for the next project. If all you cover is labour and materials for the current project what you are doing is operating a business at a loss, which is called being bankrupt.

I suspect you are not nearly so averse to profit when it is in your pockets, you just do not want anyone who has worked harder and has more stuff than you to make a profit, because having more than you would be evil LOL.

Oh, and government cannot possibly take from the poor and give to the rich, the bloody poor do not have anything to take. Haha.
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyosborne90 View Post
The 350 smallblock is getting about 6-8 nautical miles per gallons though I can i nly hold 50 gallons in the boat. I got a good deal which I couldn't pass up and ill remodel the whole living area to double maybe even triple the money I'd have into it. I have all tools and connections to completely remodel for cheap or next to a few hundred dollars. I feel I can gain experience in learning the ocean on a powerboat. But id like to stepup to a sail when the time and prices are right. i mainly want to be able to get back n forth to catalina and maybe some day cruises thru the harbors and coastlines
I never had a power boat that got that good of fuel mileage, and I have owned several. You might want to check on that MPG estimate.
Old 06-30-2013

jeffreyosborne90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
I never had a power boat that got that good of fuel mileage, and I have owned several. You might want to check on that MPG estimate.
Its got a newly bought in 05 new 5.7 fuel injected 350. It does fairly decent on fuel. Not gonna say the best but from wat I've averaged was not much difference than my massivly lift truck eith the same motor
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspru View Post
For all those averse to government income,
it may be a programmed response, as the poor are often scapegoated,
especially in news media owned by the very rich.
It's not government income, it's Welfare. Which is a financial support for those who are unable to work to support themselves.
You could more justly call it "everyone else's taxes" since it is the taxes the rest of us pay that make up what you consider fair income.

Glad to know that while I live with next to nothing(not even a window!), working 7 days a week on other people's boats so we make enough after shop expenses to pay everyone involved a fair wage(starting at 15$/hr), on which I am slowly saving for a simple sailboat again someday, that my taxes and theirs are going to help fund your future cruising...

NOT.
Government income indeed.

EDIT: We don't even build in much of a profit, we charge just enough that everyone makes a fair wage. Perhaps you could do that with your activities, and simply reduce the cost until you support yourself with your own work, instead of living off the labour of others.
mark2gmtrans likes this.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 06-30-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Yea. Grow up. Your just being a leech.
dont own a boat.
have a welfare baby.
i hope someone here reports you.
stop being a parasite.
we are same age. Get it together.
i hope your reported.
get a job. Not a soap box.
set an example for your kid. Stop living off other peoples dimes.
jeffreyosborne90 likes this.
Old 06-30-2013

I know right. I'm 22. Work very hard for what I got and for the little weekend freetimes I get. But in the end it mskes me happier considering all my hard work is paying off. Im a highschool dropout with a ged. Extensive record from being young and dumb. And I'm still happy to work and earn my living. Never do I plan to turn to government for help even if I didn't have a pot to piss in. I got pride to feed of others tax money. If I'm in that **** kind of situation. I obviously deserve to be there
Old 06-30-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
I know right. I'm 22. Work very hard for what I got and for the little weekend freetimes I get. But in the end it mskes me happier considering all my hard work is paying off. Im a highschool dropout with a ged. Extensive record from being young and dumb. And I'm still happy to work and earn my living. Never do I plan to turn to government for help even if I didn't have a pot to piss in. I got pride to feed of others tax money. If I'm in that **** kind of situation. I obviously deserve to be there
Young guys like you and harborless are okay in my book. You may have a lot to learn in some areas, but I do too, and I hope I never cease to learn. The one thing that it seems you have learned is not to be a bum. That will take you a long way in life. I can also tell you that there are enough small sailboats out there under $5,000.00 that if you want one you can find one and it will give you a good feeling to work and pay in cash for the things you own, so that you actually own them.

I may be rough on the young guys when they say things that are not correct, you will find that sailors and others who live a lot on the water or are the types who will or have lived on the water are pretty blunt. I am not a real gentle type, but I have not the least problem telling a man he has done well, so I will tell you and the other young men and women on sailnet that if you are working and making way toward your dreams, I congratulate you. I know it is not always easy, and I know it can seem like a battle you will never win, but persevere and you will overcome.
jeffreyosborne90 (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
Young guys like you and harborless are okay in my book. You may have a lot to learn in some areas, but I do too, and I hope I never cease to learn. The one thing that it seems you have learned is not to be a bum. That will take you a long way in life. I can also tell you that there are enough small sailboats out there under $5,000.00 that if you want one you can find one and it will give you a good feeling to work and pay in cash for the things you own, so that you actually own them.

I may be rough on the young guys when they say things that are not correct, you will find that sailors and others who live a lot on the water or are the types who will or have lived on the water are pretty blunt. I am not a real gentle type, but I have not the least problem telling a man he has done well, so I will tell you and the other young men and women on sailnet that if you are working and making way toward your dreams, I congratulate you. I know it is not always easy, and I know it can seem like a battle you will never win, but persevere and you will overcome.
I appreciate that. I feel blunt and honesty makes a man. No need to beet around the bush. I tty hard. Not the richest but definitely not poor. U can say average. I am always open to criticism and willing to learn and take advice any way its given. Respect is a 2 way street gotta give respect to get. But some of us can be hard headed and don't want to take advise from others who are more wise. All I want is to have fun doing what I like to do and thats that
If I'm doing something wrong please tell me. Ill def change what I'm doing. I'm just here like the vast majority of people on sailnet. To learn from fellow experienced sailors and hopefully find some boating buddies
elspru likes this.
Old 07-01-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agree with that sentiment entirely, I'm 25 now. I learned a very painful lesson on my first boat over the last year, with a major refit completed and subsequent sale, I essentially lost more than I made before tax in the two previous years combined on the refit of the boat, with only a 15 minute sail to appreciate owning a boat. This cost more than I would have needed to travel around the whole world on my motorbike, all in chasing a dream, perhaps one best left to those with deeper pockets than me.

This year I'm working harder than I have ever worked, and bringing in less money, the downward trend in wages for manufacturing and technicians has been ongoing for several years now. I could simply chuck it in, stick to my weekend-evening desk job and move into subsidised low income housing, buy a TV and vegetate until my accounts recover. But I'll be damned if I'm going to rely on others to pay my way, when I can find a dry place to sleep and keep working hard until I get back on my feet, and get back on the water.
Not opposed to the finances being available for those in need, if I had a family and lost the ability to make ends meet I would swallow my pride and do what had to be done to keep them safe and fed. To use it without need seems wrong, if you can't rely on yourself now to provide for you family, what lesson are you teaching your children? How can you expect to rely on yourself out there where the government won't do it for you?
Old 07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Agree with that sentiment entirely, I'm 25 now. I learned a very painful lesson on my first boat over the last year, with a major refit completed and subsequent sale, I essentially lost more than I made before tax in the two previous years combined on the refit of the boat, with only a 15 minute sail to appreciate owning a boat. This cost more than I would have needed to travel around the whole world on my motorbike, all in chasing a dream, perhaps one best left to those with deeper pockets than me.

This year I'm working harder than I have ever worked, and bringing in less money, the downward trend in wages for manufacturing and technicians has been ongoing for several years now. I could simply chuck it in, stick to my weekend-evening desk job and move into subsidised low income housing, buy a TV and vegetate until my accounts recover. But I'll be damned if I'm going to rely on others to pay my way, when I can find a dry place to sleep and keep working hard until I get back on my feet, and get back on the water.
Not opposed to the finances being available for those in need, if I had a family and lost the ability to make ends meet I would swallow my pride and do what had to be done to keep them safe and fed. To use it without need seems wrong, if you can't rely on yourself now to provide for you family, what lesson are you teaching your children? How can you expect to rely on yourself out there where the government won't do it for you?
I feel exactly how you feel. I'm a double felon. Served some state prison time. I have to work teice as hard doing more crap job than average to get by since I can't usually pass a basic bavkground check to get a fairly above average job but I make do with what I got. Just moved back to long beach california from arixona and mind me, arizona is about 3x cheaper to live. And I'm managing to get by with me and my girlfriend just fine. Do I like and enjoy my jobs? Not one bit. But I do what I have to to be happy and successful in my way. Yeah I was born in 1990 which majority of people from my generation are inconsiderate, lazy , and used to things given to them buf I was brought up to work and appreciate what I have in life and have hope and dreams and goalz to hopefully accomplish in my life or at least have something to work and strive for.