The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 65 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree536Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Ouch. No need to make THAT public.
Any of you in FL? Near Daytona? Ill take you sailing anytime im not working.
didnt know so many my age lurking here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Being humble. Hard lesson. I work on it daily. Its hard to rescist a good co*k measuring contest.
Old 07-01-2013

jeffreyosborne90 is on a distinguished road

You know its all public records free online so I don't worry about it so much. I've had girlfrieds in the past whos parents googled me and texted me their search results haha. Well if I waz in the area I'd tskevu up on yhe offer
Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

I suggest you move asap. You will never get a fair shake in the usa unless you find a personal type employer. Save up, get your boat, then head south to where your criminal record has no way of being found out. Then you will have it made. Dont spend your golden years breaking yourself for min wage. Ive done lots of back breaking work. Now i serve tables at a place where an avg night brings 200 cash a fri or sat brings 400 and the record for the place is 850 in one night carrying plates with food in an air conditioned place bs"ing with rich folk and flirting with hotties.
Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

Since we inly open at 4pm i work mon through fri 8 am to 2 doing brick work only making 10 per. I like hard work and that extra 1400 per month is my bills rent and spending money. The other 3000 per goes into my investment portfolio with RBC Centura. Dont put your money in the bank where they pay you scratch and use it to grow themselves richer. Find yourself a good broker and invest you cash in mutual funds or if you want more risk something like BlackRock which is medium risk but higher return yields. I make money while i sleep. Dont wait until your 40 to catch that bus. Invest 300 per month and by 45 you will be a millionaire.
Old 07-01-2013

jeffreyosborne90 is on a distinguished road

Yeah sounds like a very good plan u got gou ng. I been thinking about starting to find somekind of investments to look into. Yeah I work construction for a friend at 15 an hr thrn do restaurant cook work from 14-18/hr. So its alright but def always room fof expansion.
Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

Thats a good set up. So just make sure you are not eating out and buying designer clothes all the time and you should be able to buy a decent boat in a year or two- quicker if your GF contributes which she should. Buy DIY yourself books, post questions on here- these guys are great helpers- its when you get to opinions that they give you lots of flak because they say "your young- you dont know- sometimes they are right, 2/3rds they are wrong and stubborn- but they are still an excellent resource and much cheaper than learning yourself- and learn to do things yourself.
First time I did a gelcoat repair I just globbed it over the spot and oh lord what a mess- you can still see the ugliness. By the third time I had it like the factory had done it.
If your GF does not contributed and does like my cousins gf and spends all her money on hair extensions and make-up and her own stuff then pass her to another guy and find a contributor. ALl she does is dress in pretty outfits, take pictures in fronjt of the upstairs mirror, and post them on instagram. Yea- shes def a hottie- with those 5K implants and 400$ per month makeup. Ill take a natural beaut in cut off jeans and a t shirt anyday.

Once you have your boat equipped and living on board then get a scooter under 50 CC so you dont need a motorcycle license or insurance. New scooters are 1K and have 6 to 1 yr warranties and go up to 45 mph.
So- boat, then get rid of car or truck and go to scooter unless you have old truck that is reliable and cheap to insure- then invest.
Five years from now you will have the money to begin taking summer vacations on your boat.
10 years from now you could be living off a beach in Thailand.
Start with A- plan out Z and start chopping down the letters.
Im probably around L. So another 3-5 years and Z will be here and I will be in India with no debt, big savings, investments, two degrees, tons of practical skills like construction, mason work, electrical, ect, plus solo sailing knowledge and everything about restaurants- then a new A will be drawn up with a new Z and I will begin again but with much more time to smell the roses.
Old 07-01-2013

KarlP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
Again I'm not wanting to be cruel here but the guy that posted this and others like him have no chance of being a 20 or 30 something serious cruiser. This guy is your average person who lives an average life full of commitments to society, he dreams a little but that is it, nothing wrong with that. But young cruisers even those with plenty of money can not even think of living this life style mentioned above. You want to be a cruiser? Then screw your kids college education savings and let them eventually pay for it latter or send them to trade school some day.
I actually agree with you. Your average 20-somethings lucky enough to be making $70k are too scared to give it up for a few years in this economy where most of their friends are underemployed. Your average 30 & 40 somethings sail after work and on weekends/vacation within in a few hundred miles of home because they have burdoned themselves with kids, careers, and responsibilities. I think these are big reasons the "average" cruisers are in their 50s & 60s.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 07-01-2013
Blue Horizons

Average-
25 year old sailboat owners are not average. So your opine is not very sturdy.
jeffreyosborne90 likes this.
Old 07-01-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlP View Post
I actually agree with you. Your average 20-somethings lucky enough to be making $70k are too scared to give it up for a few years in this economy where most of their friends are underemployed. Your average 30 & 40 somethings sail after work and on weekends/vacation within in a few hundred miles of home because they have burdoned themselves with kids, careers, and responsibilities. I think these are big reasons the "average" cruisers are in their 50s & 60s.
I have no idea who decided that $70k per year was what is required to be able to sail, was there a meeting I missed? I think that most people who are actually cruising the world are making a WHOLE lot less than $70k per year, in fact I bet they are making not much at all.

You can buy a boat for under $20k that will do just fine, you will have to work on it, and fix it up a bit, but when there are many boats between $3,000.00 and $15,000.00 USD out there that are capable boats that just need some work on them along the way, a young person who is not married and tied down yet has a better chance of cruising the world than a 30 something with a great job.

Most of the people I actually know in the flesh who cruise, some who have done circumnavigations, do it on boats most of us would be afraid to get on, but they do it and it seems to work. You do not here of hundreds of little boats lost at sea every month, so they must be floating somewhere.

Once again, the key to living a dream is to work and make your dream come true, that is not subject to any age restrictions. There are people on here who have celebrated seven decades of life who are looking for a girlfriend to go sailing the world with them, and people who have not yet made two decades who are doing the same. I think the main ingredient for success in this lifestyle is something that cannot be quantified in a resume, it is called gumption, balls, fortitude, bravery, fearlessness and many other things, but what I like to call it is a spirit of adventure.

Many things in life require risk to attain them, wealth is one of them, true wealth is not earned by an hourly wage, it is earned by investing in dreams.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.