The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 66 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Keeping in the theme of wondering why the youngers aren't dreaming the same dream as we did, I can only offer solace to them with the sage that once you've tried elderly you'll never go back. Crap Diem!
Sal Paradise likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Keeping in the theme of wondering why the youngers aren't dreaming the same dream as we did, I can only offer solace to them with the sage that once you've tried elderly you'll never go back. Crap Diem!
HAAHAA, yep metamucil for you every day
Old 07-08-2013

elspru is on a distinguished road

I guess my point was that the economy, driver's licences, and other social norms or mores are irrelevant to peoples ability to cruise.
In fact the less you have to lose, the easier it is to move.

There has been an increasing amount of cruisers in general including young ones.

On a per person basis, only things that matter are the will to go, and the persistence to follow through.

Last edited by elspru; 07-08-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-08-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Well, it was hot this weekend. I took my boat out single handed while my 3 YA sons stayed in the AC and played video games. We didn't have such great video games when I was a kid, or AC. I was poor, lived in a city apartment and later a small house in a small town. I had nothing to do in the summer, just nothing. Well, I had my brother and sister and maybe a cousin or two to play hide and seek with. Otherwise, boredom was the norm and reading looking out the window or riding a bicycle was as good as it got.

I would have killed for a sailboat to sail and a warm windy day and I still remember that. Now that I am grown up these day sails, and small trips are a fantasy come true.
elspru likes this.
Old 07-08-2013

SkipperK is on a distinguished road

I'm 24 and recently bought a Vic 18, I learned to sail a year ago. Gotta say I don't know many my age who sail.
Old 10-25-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Ok old men and young kids it's time for the local survey here in Lisbon, Portugal while waiting for a weather window to the Canaries. We have met so many sailors of all types, ages and different boats so far. The further we get south the more we meet sailors getting ready to do the crossing to the carib. I want to tell you my guesses in the past are pretty much square on. There are actually more 20 and 30 somethings sailing than 50/60 somethings here in Europe and doing the crossing, I know that has always been the facts in the S. Pacific. I'm sitting in a wi fi cafe and I count 12 cruisers that I know that are making the crossing. Seven are in their 20's, three are in their early 30's and the other two and myself are old farts. We are hanging out with cruisers of all ages no one cares the age in the cruising community. I can't stay out all night like most of those young ones do here in Lisbon but Tracy and I hang on once in a while.

Most of the young are sailing smaller boats in the 32 to 37 foot range and have one or two same age crew members on board. But some are sailing 40 plus boats, all used boats. We know what most of them did for a living here in Europe and it ranges from bar tenders, waiters to computer work, we have not met any of the 20/30 somethings that made equal to 70,000 USA dollars, far less.
The youngans who have kids on board are mostly from the Netherlands, then Germany. The young french mostly sail with a girl friend or another guy their age. The young women sailing are beautiful not only in looks but dam nice too. The ARC may have more old farts, I do not know but there are far more sailors who are not sailing in the ARC than those stupid enough,(my opinion) to spend that kind of money for no real reason.

Seems young and old Americans have become so isolated and scared of the future they just complain about what should be and could be if only. Most of these euro young people come from a lot worse economy than we are having in the USA. They look at it as a great time to cruise for a couple of years. Come on yankees if you have a real dream make it work. The only excuse is that you really do not want to do it you just like talking about it. If you need to get a divorce, quit your boring job, quit school and get a job abd save like hell for two years then do it, run away, run away like those of us that make it happen no matter what we must sacrifice and believe me it's a lot.

See you in the Carib this winter, then the Panama Canal and next April in the S. Pacific. Just do it and stop your crying, Christ, life is not a practice run it is the real thing!
Old 10-25-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

What sort of debt from college tuition does the typical European twenty something have to deal with?

Having worked with and lived near people with European backgrounds there are a few major differences in their approach to life that would also help explain this. Europeans take vacation much more seriously than we do. They get a lot more of it and they take it in bigger chunks. Plus they have a lot of the expenses that we have to deal with individually built into their tax system and/or covered by their employers. They don't worry about health care, child care, and retirement expenses the way we do.
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 10-26-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

All the young people I know are broke and scared of whether they will even have a job, or a full time job, in six months.

I came out in the work force in the early eighties and we had it made compared to these kids. I bought my first big boat, A Cape Dory 25D when I was 26 years old, a year after I had been on a job (who would feel that secure with just a year on at a job these days). I've got a stepson who is 23 and one who is 29, and they both are barely making it.

Of course, I got married early, and we lived off one salary while saving the other. Most kids now don't get married, even after they have babies.

It's a different economy, and kids today do a lot of things that hurt them financially to boot.
Lou452 and Sal Paradise like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 10-26-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

You can have no assets or a low income and its fine as long as you have someone or something to fall back on. Family can be a type of wealth.

If not, if you are truly on your own and not wealthy - you better watch out. I started with nothing, no way home and no one to watch my back or support me at all...... and that taught me to watch out and support my adult kids so they can take some chances... and it taught me not to judge others so harshly.
Lou452 likes this.
Old 10-26-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I think I like the idea that family can be a place to turn to for support. Not for cash but real support.
Fear of failure is why most folks do not do whatever they are very capable of doing. This would lead you to think the young would have less fear. Todays world is full of fear. Change can happen faster than ever. one would not set out to cross the sea out of season and in unpredictable changing weather. IE winter North Atlantic. You might say the young might be looking for better weather. Plans are what make dreams. Fail to plan = plan to fail. Good Day, Lou