The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 67 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree536Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

The thing with kids is, that you want to be there to catch them if they need it, to give them confidence, but you don't want them to be so sure that you will catch them, that they don't try and make it on their own.

It's a tough balance, for sure. But, my parents seemed to get it right with me, so I try and follow their lead.
Sal Paradise likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Our club did a members survey recently and, out of 237 responses, 0 were between the ages of 20-29, 3 were 30-39, 37 were 40-49. The vast majority were between 50 - 70 with 37 older than 70!

Younger people are attracted to the water but they tend to be on kite-boards, kayaks, white water canoes, or speedboats or evil jet skiis.

Perceptually, sailing is, unfortunately regarded as A. an older persons sport, or B. a rich persons sport.

Interstingly, I have come across a lot of middle aged people who have got tired of driving in gridlock (I live in toronto where gridlock is a fact of life anytime) up to the cottage every weekend, sold their cottage and bought a huge honking boat with the proceeds.

For me, we didn't become sailboat owners until we became empty nesters and didn't have the financial pressures of raising kids or helping with university tuition. My kids enjoy the boat and may get into it some day, but their priorities are now on their careers and starting families etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2013

Greatlakes47 is on a distinguished road

I can't speak for other young people. However I am 25, my father one of those young guys who sailed back in the day and introduced me to sailing when I was a really young boy. He had to stop sailing when I was around 7. Later on when I was about 20 I had an unexplained urge to sail an I did whatever it took to buy my first boat.

Any of my friends who I have taken out sailing have absolutely loved it! So I think the main issue is so many young persons these days just don't know anything about sailing or that sailing is a live and very active sport. Unless you know someone who sails then you won't consider sailing as something you can practically take part in. I think the schools and communities need to put more effort in opening doors to sailing for young students. Otherwise it will just be looked as something old people with lots of money does!

Shane
Old 10-29-2013

After a few previous posts, I have noticed people are blaming the lack of young people in sailing due to the economy and the difficulty of finding a job along with coping with student debt. At least from what I see here in Toronto there are 3 issues with the younger generation.

1. Laziness. I know for a fact my parents and everyone here work(ed) a whole lot harder then the majority of my peers

2. Poor choices. Students these days need to be more realistic when it comes the schooling they choose. They blow 30 grand in tuition on garbage courses that there are no jobs in, even in the best of economies! Not everyone can be artists and philosophers!

3. Priorities and money management. Going to the bar and clubs is more important than paying off credit cards and student debt. And playing video games than getting off their butts and finding a job, any job, even if it means a job that you didn't go to school for (see point 2)!!
Old 10-29-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

So you generally agree but you want to be judgemental about it too.

Thanks.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Old 10-29-2013

I'm very judgmental
Old 10-29-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

I'm 27 and started sailing while have been sailing my own-purchased boats since I was 20. I think that the interest in sailing comes in generational waves, like a kid or teenager who gets enrolled in a club or team, then quits to focus on other things (job, college, early 20's social life) and then the flame comes back when they can afford it again, both money and time.

The only thing that stops people around this age is the responsibility requirements. To buy something high-ticket like this, to maintain it, to store it on land or in water, and to time-manage a personal life that allows days or afternoons of freedom to get the pay-out of sailing. It's a balance, and realistically not everyone from 18-30 (generally) is responsible enough.
Old 10-29-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodders View Post
Our club did a members survey recently and, out of 237 responses, 0 were between the ages of 20-29, 3 were 30-39, 37 were 40-49. The vast majority were between 50 - 70 with 37 older than 70!

For me, we didn't become sailboat owners until we became empty nesters and didn't have the financial pressures of raising kids or helping with university tuition. My kids enjoy the boat and may get into it some day, but their priorities are now on their careers and starting families etc.
That's why cruisers tend to be older. It is needed time for cruising and lot's of money for the boat and lifestyle, at least for many.

If you go to a charter company and ask about the average age I am pretty sure that it is much lower, even if not for teenagers: Charter a boat is also expensive.

I really don't understand the title of this thread. probably it is an American thing. around here the problem is TOO MANY PEOPLE CRUISING. In many nice places It is hard to find a place to anchor, marinas are crowded and take advantage to charge huge prices.

This year in Italy I had no other option then to paid 35 euros for a buoy and I read that another guy had paid 70 euros for one on another Island ( any boat bigger than 10m). There are some nice places that I will never visit with my boat because it is too deep to anchor and the marina charges (in medium season) 200 euros for a 41ft boat

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2013

Jhiggy is on a distinguished road

I can tell you my take on it. I'm a 29 year old male for reference. I just purchased my first sailboat about 3 months ago. Honestly I was just never exposed to it. My parents never sailed, my grandparents never sailed, why would I sail? My parents skied and spent lots of time camping so those are things that I got into. Not only that but I was under the impression that sailing was super expensive. Even little boats I assumed cost 10s of thousands of dollars. My wife and I both have significant college debt so I just thought we couldn't afford a boat. Then I found a boat design called pdracer. Literally a plywood boat that should cost 500-1000 dollars to build. After that I started researching and found that decent boats could be found in that price range almost ready to sail.

So to sum it up, High student loan debt + not being exposed to sailing made me believe that I couldn't do it. Not only that but it is intimidating when you don't have help. I believe you all are trying to make it more complicated than it really is.
Old 10-29-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodders View Post
There's quite a few young people in my area who own boats and sail on a regular basis (not "cruisers"), but no one I know under the age of maybe 50 belongs to a yacht club.
ChristinaM likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.