The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 70 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

yeah. I think that's the case. a guy I know, who doesn't sail was discussing the recent race with me. he knows I sail and was asking how they could consider the hydrofoil boats to be boats. lol. but I do think it's no longer mainstream. big, fast, expensive power boats are made to look cool, in movies and pop culture; not sailboats.

clubs, sailboat manufacturers, and sailing schools ought to start hosting open houses. free sailboat ride events. something to raise public awareness. that might be one place to start.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Again I think the thread was about young people really cruising. I take cruising as leaving your home port and headed out across an ocean and coming back to your home country in a year or so. I'm an American who's home port is Hood River Oregon and at that very small marina two sailboats left to cross the Pacific this year, both boats I assume are in Mexico right now. Both those boats had young couples on board. I see this everywhere we sail, not only in Europe but in the states as well. We are in the Canaries awaiting our passage to the Cape Verde Islands then to the Carib. We are on pontoon J of the marina Puerto Calero and there are 7 other boats on the pontoon getting ready to cross. Five of those boats have young sailors, we see this everywhere we go. I had a young couple maybe 22 or 23 aboard today to see our new boat. He is from Bermuda and she is from Glasgow they are headed to his home port after a couple years sailing. Their boat is not fancy but well taken care of. That is the way of the young sailors we see, inexpensive boats well taken care of.

It is foolish of me to even write about this subject because I can see most of the complainers here just don't get it and never will. Those who get it don't post on sites like this much because they are out having the time of their life while the rest of you bitch about every excuse in the world. I guess that's why the 1 % rule comes in to play with real cruising just like it did 40 years ago. You really want to do it and you have to sacrifice everything in your life and focus on going cruising, you have to be narrow sighted.

Anyway we are all working hard on our boats most days getting ready for the crossing, some days we take a day off from work and hitch around the island, drinking good cheap white wine, 80 cents a bottle and eating great sea food. In the evenings after five we hangout with other cruisers of all ages and drink some more while most of you just have wet dreams about cruising and forever nothing more. But I know maybe one of you will figure it out and screw all the crap you have brought upon yourself and come see what this life is all about. The oceans are big places and there is room for one or two % more.

Cheers

Last edited by hannah2; 11-12-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
yeah. I think that's the case. a guy I know, who doesn't sail was discussing the recent race with me. he knows I sail and was asking how they could consider the hydrofoil boats to be boats. lol. but I do think it's no longer mainstream. big, fast, expensive power boats are made to look cool, in movies and pop culture; not sailboats.

clubs, sailboat manufacturers, and sailing schools ought to start hosting open houses. free sailboat ride events. something to raise public awareness. that might be one place to start.

That would be a good idea. I learned how to sail when I was little and I never thought of it as being that complicated. I like our sailing club but there's a fairly involved training process you have to go through before you can take the boats out on your own. Just to be clear, we're talking about dinghies and not 40 foot yachts.

I get it. They want to protect the members and the boats but at the same time it leaves people with the impression that sailing is hard. Some people leave the club having never "skippered out". Others that do skipper out leave because they are expected to spend two club sailing days a month training new members.

They have no problems attracting new members so I don't think it's seen as a major obstacle to the survival of the club but that might not be the case if there were competing clubs that required less commitment.

Last edited by unimacs; 11-12-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
Again I think the thread was about young people really cruising. I take cruising as leaving your home port and headed out across an ocean and coming back to your home country in a year or so. I'm an American who's home port is Hood River Oregon and at that very small marina two sailboats left to cross the Pacific this year, both boats I assume are in Mexico right now. Both those boats had young couples on board. I see this everywhere we sail, not only in Europe but in the states as well. We are in the Canaries awaiting our passage to the Cape Verde Islands then to the Carib. We are on pontoon J of the marina Puerto Calero and there are 7 other boats on the pontoon getting ready to cross. Five of those boats have young sailors, we see this everywhere we go. I had a young couple maybe 22 or 23 aboard today to see our new boat. He is from Bermuda and she is from Glasgow they are headed to his home port after a couple years sailing. Their boat is not fancy but well taken care of. That is the way of the young sailors we see, inexpensive boats well taken care of.

It is foolish of me to even write about this subject because I can see most of the complainers here just don't get it and never will. Those who get it don't post on sites like this much because they are out having the time of their life while the rest of you bitch about every excuse in the world. I guess that's why the 1 % rule comes in to play with real cruising just like it did 40 years ago. You really want to do it and you have to sacrifice everything in your life and focus on going cruising, you have to be narrow sighted.

Anyway we are all working hard on our boats most days getting ready for the crossing, some days we take a day off from work and hitch around the island, drinking good cheap white wine, 80 cents a bottle and eating great sea food. In the evenings after five we hangout with other cruisers of all ages and drink some more while most of you just have wet dreams about cruising and forever nothing more. But I know maybe one of you will figure it out and screw all the crap you have brought upon yourself and come see what this life is all about. The oceans are big places and there is room for one or two % more.

Cheers
I realize that the thread is about cruising but to me some of the same reasons you'll see fewer young people cruising apply to sailing in general. Personally, I'm not really bitching. I've only been participating in this forum a short while and it's been eye opening. I've come to the realization that cruising is really something I could do if I wanted to and I can see a path to that end. But long passages are something that's not really on my radar at this time and maybe never will be.

Anyway, the financial realities are different than they were 30 or 40 years ago. One can complain about that (not that it does any good). But there is more to it. I think it's also about choices and sailing is just not as popular a choice as it was decades ago, - and not just because of the expenses.

Last edited by unimacs; 11-12-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2013

aparksat is on a distinguished road

The economy and death of the middle class in short
skaterp14 likes this.
Old 11-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimacs View Post
That would be a good idea. I learned how to sail when I was little and I never thought of it as being that complicated. I like our sailing club but there's a fairly involved training process you have to go through before you can take the boats out on your own. Just to be clear, we're talking about dinghies and not 40 foot yachts.

I get it. They want to protect the members and the boats but at the same time it leaves people with the impression that sailing is hard. Some people leave the club having never "skippered out". Others that do skipper out leave because they are expected to spend two club sailing days a month training new members.

They have no problems attracting new members so I don't think it's seen as a major obstacle to the survival of the club but that might not be the case if there were competing clubs that required less commitment.

yeah. that's the thing. sailing is an art. if you want to be a good sailor and be able to handle what may come your way, you need to learn everything you can. however, the physical basics of sailing are pretty simple; you pull this rope, you put your body weight here, you move the tiller there. the more difficult you make things appear, the less people will be tempted to try it. it's a reality. some people shouldn't sail, just like some people shouldn't ride motorcycles. but there are tons of people just looking for something to add adventure and depth to their lives; people who might find that sailing was what they were after, if they ever tried it. but if it's not on the radar, they might never try it.

the reason I say manufacturers, and those kinds of groups, should do something to attract new sailors is that, while it's a lifestyle to us, it's an industry to them. without people who sail, no one will buy their boats or utilize their services. it would be a financial investment for anyone in the sailboat industry to ensure there was a future for that industry.
Old 11-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post

Cheers
ok. I love your post but I think there are some realities you just haven't added in. it's fine and dandy to talk about just cashing in your chips and setting off for a distant shore, but there are realities of life to consider. one of those is money.

it costs money to buy and outfit a boat for a trip like that. it takes money to keep yourself going along the way. you have to be assured that, if you manage to sock away that kind of cash and then quit your job for the adventure of a lifetime, you will be able to survive when you return. will you be able to find another job that will pay your bills? in the economic nightmare the progressive government has created, that's a light question.

and, looking at unemployment and under employment, in the country, how easy is it for people, especially younger people, to come up with the cash to fund such a venture? you are talking a good bit of money, even if you go on a shoestring.

but there is more to consider. what about people's responsibilities? many people have responsibilities they can't set aside. I am a good example ( of both points, actually ). i'd love to do some blue water sailing and explore. but, even if I could come up with enough funds and be sure of a means to survive when I returned, I couldn't do it because there would be on one to look after my mother. she's alone, since my father was killed, and relies on me a lot. if I just said screw it and set sail for a year or even a few months, there would be no one to look after her.

so, while I love the spirit of your post and I think it's great that you are living the dream, I don't think it's fair of you to be so negative towards those who aren't ale to do that.

I think that, in general, older people have a better chance of living that dream. as long as they did well financially, they have a sturdy financial foundation. once their kids leave home, they have no one that has any call o lean on them. they did all the crap you are supposed to do, in life, and are free to rewrite their lives.

there is an older guy, who has a beautiful vessel, that does videos of his travels, on youtube. he met a woman, along the way, and they live the life. but, he's in his 50s and what's to stop him, if he has the money?
Old 11-12-2013

to address the money issue, there is a thread, over in the cruising/live aboard forum, about earning money as you cruise. and I have also watched informative videos about the cruising life, on youtube, done by people that live the life. there is one young couple, specifically, that tries to educate people about the lifestyle and are very encouraging towards people interested in it. but, the idea of scraping up for a cheap boat, leaving with the clothes on your back and very little money, and being able to work as you voyage is really just a fantasy. I have read a number of stories about people who did it, in the 'old days', but times have changed. you can't realistically expect to earn a living with odd jobs as you sail port to port, especially outside of the USA. at least, that is the consensus from those who have the experience.

you pretty much have to have the money, have a job that allows you to work from your lap top and pays really good, or something similar. that's just not a situation that you will find a lot of young people in.
Old 11-12-2013

Pegu club is on a distinguished road

The Admiral and I met a young guy at our marina who appeared to be twenty-seven ish, he had the look of a young man who just recently left selective service. He had Virginia plates on his truck. He had a 30ft nonsuch that was in wonderful condition, he said he purchased his boat at the beginning of the year, said he was selling his 20ish foot trailer sailer boat in the spring. So it seems that adventure and wanderlust is not dead in the young peoples world, and Me and the Admiral are both very happy to see this first hand. So the Duchess of Montrose is not alone
1975 B24 #578
A slave to the wind
Old 11-13-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
ok. I love your post but I think there are some realities you just haven't added in. it's fine and dandy to talk about just cashing in your chips and setting off for a distant shore, but there are realities of life to consider. one of those is money.

it costs money to buy and outfit a boat for a trip like that. it takes money to keep yourself going along the way. you have to be assured that, if you manage to sock away that kind of cash and then quit your job for the adventure of a lifetime, you will be able to survive when you return. will you be able to find another job that will pay your bills? in the economic nightmare the progressive government has created, that's a light question.

and, looking at unemployment and under employment, in the country, how easy is it for people, especially younger people, to come up with the cash to fund such a venture? you are talking a good bit of money, even if you go on a shoestring.

but there is more to consider. what about people's responsibilities? many people have responsibilities they can't set aside. I am a good example ( of both points, actually ). i'd love to do some blue water sailing and explore. but, even if I could come up with enough funds and be sure of a means to survive when I returned, I couldn't do it because there would be on one to look after my mother. she's alone, since my father was killed, and relies on me a lot. if I just said screw it and set sail for a year or even a few months, there would be no one to look after her.

so, while I love the spirit of your post and I think it's great that you are living the dream, I don't think it's fair of you to be so negative towards those who aren't ale to do that.

I think that, in general, older people have a better chance of living that dream. as long as they did well financially, they have a sturdy financial foundation. once their kids leave home, they have no one that has any call o lean on them. they did all the crap you are supposed to do, in life, and are free to rewrite their lives.

there is an older guy, who has a beautiful vessel, that does videos of his travels, on youtube. he met a woman, along the way, and they live the life. but, he's in his 50s and what's to stop him, if he has the money?
Capt Jack, I'm really not trying to be negative here But I'm saying is if you whine about the problems and distractions of life and don't find a solution so you can go cruising then you are not the one % of sailors that do find solutions and go crusing.