The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 72 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree536Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Respectfully...
bullschlitz.
Your life is entirely up to you. Sorry, jack, but it IS what you make it. It is NOT what you do with the things that come your way, it is making your OWN way despite of the things that come at you, and taking advantage where you can, ...and MAKING advantage where you can't.

I'd be happy trade "my life has been harder than yours" creds, but it really doesn't matter- success is a choice, no matter what tax bracket you were born into. So is accepting a lack of success.

Success isn't all about money- it is all about not having to offer excuses or explanations for where you are at, and how you got there.

Yeah, I know, I know, the economy has been hit hard and there are no jobs and the wrong guy is president and yadda yadda yadda... but some folks still got rich, and some folks still made the decision to live life on their own terms...maybe because they focused on looking for the opportunities to succeed, not wasting time and energy finding excuses for NOT succeeding.
that just sounds all good and wonderful but what you are saying is that the circumstances and conditions of life have nothing to do with what is possible. so, by your world view, it is absolutely possible for a paraplegic to get up and compete, and win, in the 100 yd dash. and, although i have no wings, if i really try hard enough, i can go out and climb up on my roof, jump off, and fly to florida for the winter.

that's not reality. you show me someone who had it hard but rose out of it and i will show you someone who had an opportunity.

to use a real life example, not that the paraplegic example wasn't real life, i will use my mom's boyfriend, Jim.

he had been having trouble breathing for several years. despite constantly seeking medical help, he was told he was in perfect health, despite the fact that he was having trouble breathing.

around june of last year, a dr finally figured out what the cause was. he had lung cancer. it was keeping him from filling his lungs. despite a number of other x-rays, no on had found it previously.

jim fought hard and pushed his doctors. he had surgery and kemo. they discovered the cancer had spread to other parts of the body right after they finally discovered his cancer.

he was told, if he got through all of the kemo and reduced the original cancer enough and got the rest of the cancer stopped they would use a cyberknife to cut out the cancer in his lungs. it was his only chance.

after suffering and struggling through all of the treatments, he had met the requirements for the cyberknife. one week later he drowned on his own blood, in the hospital. in the time it took them to schedule the cyberkife, the original cancer, in his lungs had suddenly grown exponentially. and, mysteriously, the other cancers had popped up all over his body....despite the 'success' of his treatment.

now, Jim fought hard to live. he did everything possible. but he died just on the ede of getting the proceedure that was supposed to save him.

so, by your world view, Jim must have been a screw up and didn't try hard enough or he'd not be dead. because the circumstances and conditions of life do not matter. life is what you make it, regardless of the circumstances. and paraplegics are obviously just loosers that don't try hard enough, or they'd be able to walk. life is what you make it.

and that's why, if you are worthy and try hard enough, you can sail your boat straight into the wind. because the conditions and circumstances of life don't matter. life is what you make it. sure it is.

your life is never entirely up to you. you and your life and the path of that life are constantly being affected and altered, limited and liberated, by all kinds of influences outside of yourself. it is never completely up to you. it is never without conditions. it is never without limitations. ask any paraplegic if his life is completely up to him. ask the guy that had to have his legs amputated because of a drunk driver if his life has been completely up to him.

do you think that the people who have to live with these things, are limited and controlled by these things, or even die because of these things choose that for themselves?

according to your post, you must. because " life is completely up to you."

Last edited by captain jack; 11-16-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Your life is entirely up to you. Sorry, jack, but it IS what you make it. It is NOT what you do with the things that come your way, it is making your OWN way despite of the things that come at you, and taking advantage where you can, ...and MAKING advantage where you can't.
I'm sure the billions of people living on $2 a day would agree with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottUK For This Useful Post:
captain jack (11-02-2014)
Old 11-16-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Respectfully...
bullschlitz.
Your life is entirely up to you.

Yeah, I know, I know, the economy has been hit hard and there are no jobs and the wrong guy is president and yadda yadda yadda... but some folks still got rich, and some folks still made the decision to live life on their own terms...maybe because they focused on looking for the opportunities to succeed, not wasting time and energy finding excuses for NOT succeeding.

What this point of view completely ignores is real demographics and economics. Sure, we can all point to individual examples. But the fact is, if you have x number of jobs and 2x number of people needing jobs, you will not only have rampant economic misery as wages are depressed, but there will always be x number of people who are unemployed, no matter who makes a decision to live life on their own terms. Its just math.

For example, I am an architect -and I can show you examples of individual architects who have landed lucrative contracts but they are few and far between. I could say that those few architects building homes on the ocean in California for example made a decision to succeed. They probably did, but so did unemployed architects all across the country. There are precious few contracts compared to the number of architects. The fact is that tens of thousands of architects are unemployed in the U.S. and quite frankly they are simply out of luck no matter what they do.

By the way, I am doing okay, I'm just saying..... look at the numbers.

This article in today's The New York Times even includes young person struggling with unemployment in - of all places - the Canary Islands. She must not have made a decision to succeed otherwise she would be on an expensive sailing yacht right now waiting to head to the Caribbean. How foolish of her and her father. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/16/wo...e.html?hp&_r=0
captain jack likes this.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 11-16-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Yes there are many who live a sad life in many countries around the world and with no way out. I hope those of us who are more fortunate do what they can to help.

But with this thread I think we are talking about your average young person in a first world country. He or she is healthy, of sound mind. What sets them aside from the rest of the average folks and I think we are all a part of the average folks is they have a desire so strong to accomplish what they want that some of them succeed. Not all do and I know that but some do live their dream. I guess I have been lucky, only a high school education, barely and a good trade that eventually paid off later in life. But I knew what I wanted and gave up a lot of other things in life to get what I wanted. That's what I have been trying to say here. When I hear most likely healthy want to be sailors complain they are stuck as a slave to the man maybe they should get a little pissed off or a lot pissed off and make the needed changes so they can live the dream. If you have a big debt from university focus on paying it off as fast as you can, think,think how you can do it out side the box. If you have a wife or husband who does not share your dream you must decide what is more important to you and go with what is more important. But what ever you decide stop the crying and move on with life. Be happy as you can be and achieve your goals.

Here we are in the warm Canary Islands working 6 hours to 10 hours a day getting the boat ready for passage. Work is hard but rewarding, all most every cruiser here is doing the same. When it's time to stop working for the day we shower up and start to enjoy the other side of cruising while at the dock. We meet great like minded people, I'm sure we all had the dream and couldn't stop, the respect here amongst cruisers is great, no one puts someone elses boat down because its old or because its new. As long as the owner and crew put an effort into making sure they are sailing safe we all respect their show. Those out there who really want to live this dream most likely will and I hope a few of you will.

Bought 20 boxes of box wine at pay and cash this morning for 0.60 to 1.25 Euros each, no sin tax here. With the total supply we should never have to buy expensive wine in the Carib. Well I have to complete rebuilding the head as it is making loud noises and needs
to be greased but as soon as I do its off to a BBQ at the scotts boat next door. This week is the world championships here for the RC 44's, all young men and women in their 20/30's who have been working around the clock to get the boats ready, should be fun to watch when we are not working on our boat.

Cheers
Old 11-16-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

People have more control over their lives than they realize or admit.

I've know people who were born in ghettos, in basically third world conditions, who decided their was a better life for them and made it (read the real life story of Jay Z).

I've also arrested a few hundred drug dealers, living in squalor, with a shoebox with $100,000 in cash under the bed, and $200,000 in electronics, clothing, DVD's cars, other non-durable consumer goods, who would argue that there was no way for them to escape their sad lives.

It is 99 per cent mindset. And, we can wish everyone in the world had it, but we can't give it to them, or make them be like us, no matter how sure we are, that they would be better off.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 11-16-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
People have more control over their lives than they realize or admit.

I've know people who were born in ghettos, in basically third world conditions, who decided their was a better life for them and made it (read the real life story of Jay Z).

I've also arrested a few hundred drug dealers, living in squalor, with a shoebox with $100,000 in cash under the bed, and $200,000 in electronics, clothing, DVD's cars, other non-durable consumer goods, who would argue that there was no way for them to escape their sad lives.

It is 99 per cent mindset. And, we can wish everyone in the world had it, but we can't give it to them, or make them be like us, no matter how sure we are, that they would be better off.
I am not saying you can't improve your life. I am responding to the statement that the circumstances in life have no effect on your possibilities. most assuredly, you can work to improve a bad situation. you are not usually completely stuck, although, depending on the situation, you may also be stuck to a degree.

some things you can completely overcome. some things you can work to your advantage. some things you can minimize he negative impact of. some things you can recover from. sometimes you can't, though. sometimes you are completely screwed.

even when you can overcome, very often it's like sailing into the wind, you have to take an indirect path and work it. so, it's going to take you longer, sometimes much longer to reach your goals. the loftier the goal, the longer it may take.

the post that started this discussion stated that, if you can't just drop everything and sail off across the sea, you just must not want it bad enough. the idea is that your life is completely in your hands and circumstances have no control over you. that's just not true.

the examples you gave are very valid, but there are lots of people offering opportunities to help people climb out of the lowest cesspools of life. there are a lot less opportunities, for people that are struggling to maintain their status out of the cesspool, to take the step to having real financial wherewithal. it's a lot harder to get past that point, for many people. it's not that they can't do it, in the end. but it may be that they really can't get to that end until later in life.

but, the truth is, life honestly does screw some people. it creates limitations that there is no way to completely overcome.
Old 11-16-2013

casioqv is on a distinguished road

Some people truly have it hard, but most of the young people I see complaining about how difficult things are have buried themselves in debt to buy unnecessary things: a mortgage on a house they can't afford, new car payments, an expensive cell phone plan, etc. With such behavior, no income level would ever free them from debt & wage slavery.

These people have bought into the idea that spending gives quality of life, when in reality owning things you don't need mostly causes stress- whereas savings reduces stress and gives you freedom and financial security.

There's a growing movement of young people into frugality and simple living that find by cutting their expenses, they can retire wealthy at a young age with a very modest income. This article gives an example of how this works:
The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement by Mr. Money Mustache
bljones likes this.

Last edited by casioqv; 11-16-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
What this point of view completely ignores is real demographics and economics. ...
For example, I am an architect -...

By the way, I am doing okay,
and MY point is that if you WEREN'T doing okay, but you still chose to continue to be an architect, and simply shrugging and saying, well, it's because of numbers and economics and that is the reason why my life sucks...
You would be wrong.
Your life sucks because you are still an architect!
If there is no money in being an architect (or whatever) the choice is yours to change your life and do something else. yeah, it's hard, yeah it's tough, but no tougher than not doing anything else by choice, and being forced to do it after a period of soul-sucking unemployment.
Look at the numbers and demographics and see obstacles or see opportunity- it is always a choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
I'm sure the billions of people living on $2 a day would agree with you.
Luckily you're not one of them. They'd love to have the opportunities you squander every day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
that just sounds all good and wonderful but what you are saying is that the circumstances and conditions of life have nothing to do with what is possible. so, by your world view, it is absolutely possible for a paraplegic to get up and compete, and win, in the 100 yd dash. and, although i have no wings, if i really try hard enough, i can go out and climb up on my roof, jump off, and fly to florida for the winter.

that's not reality. you show me someone who had it hard but rose out of it and i will show you someone who had an opportunity.
No, I'll show you someone who SAW an opportunity, or MADE an opportunity.
Like the one guy in a homeless shelter who actually reads the employment ads in the newspaper, instead of listening to those who say "there are no jobs."
...and then that guy goes to the library and types out a resume, instead of listening to those who say " nobody will give me a job because I haven't got a computer to make a resume."
...and then prowled the donation bin at the Goodwill store before the clothes hit the rack to find the best dress pants and blazer and shirt and tie before they hit the racks, instead of listening to those who said "nobody ever hires homeless people- it's not our fault we look homeless."
... and then used up a roll of quarters at the payphone making phone calls to answer those ads in the paper to get an interview or two, (repeatedly calling back because there was no number to leave for some to return a call,) instead of listening to those who said "we can't get a job- we don't have an address or a phone."
... and then walking across the city to those interviews instead of listening to those who say, "we can't afford to go to a job interview- no money for a bus or a taxi."
... and then keeps doing it, day after day, instead of listening to htose who said "see, told you there were no jobs and nobody hires people like us."
... and then told this story to the business owner at the job interviews he finally gets...
and gets both jobs.

Instead of listening to those who said that it's not possible for a homeless person suffering from mental illness to succeed, and list all sorts of reasons why.

Your failure to understand this concept explains the silliness of your first paragraph in your response, because that was NOT what I was saying at all.

Your limitations, and the limitations of most people, are not physical, but a failure to make your own luck...
maybe because you figure it's no more possible than jumping off the roof and flying to Florida.

By the way, that homeless guy? That was me.

That's MY reality.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.