The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 8 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

I have less in Seafever in 2012 than i did in the J24 in 1981 we did stick with the tan/green color

BUT in all honesty my goodness it cost far more money to do ANYTHING now

There is no way my children who still sail with me and are older than i was when i bought the J24 could even begin to come up with the cost in 2012
They can't afford it on top of their existing bills and life style, who can. The Idea is to live on the boat for free and live as a minimilist, then they could probably afford to visit land. Instead visiting the sea on the weekends.
DavidB.UK and elspru like this.
Old 07-03-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Well

We sail when want which on a good week would be three times which more than fulfills my need to sail

As we have the misfortune of liking to hike and do other stuff and i feel like i did something right because at 24 and 27 they still find time to spend with ME and bring friends

Grace thinks its cool

And with the distance racing
DavidB.UK likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
As we have the misfortune of liking to hike and do other stuff and i feel like i did something right because at 24 and 27 they still find time to spend with ME and bring friends
Fantastic!

I have a niece a 3 nephews who are just about old enough to start doing stuff with, can't wait to take them out for a sail on Uncle David's boat!
Old 07-03-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

In reference to Aaron's minimalist comment above: IMO one of the best things about spending extended time on any sailboat is that it teaches you to be a minimalist, to conserve, and be wise in how you plan and use things. There just is no other choice. These type lessons are good for anyone and, to me, one of the most enjoyable aspects of sailing. When you try to explain the thrift involved in sailing, most landlubbers, especially young folks, just give you that vacant look that indicates they think you are either crazy or probably come from another planet....What do you mean, I can't take a 1/2 hr. shower twice a day??! Many wasteful habits would be cured if everyone had to spend a couple of months sailing.
DavidB.UK and elspru like this.
Old 07-03-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

When I first came to the BC coast, at age 18, wages were around $2 an hour and a Haida 26 cost around $9K. Now I have seen them for sale for around $3500 and wages are much higher, $30 an hour for me.Even minimum wages are over six times what they were back then, while boats are being practicaly given away. Back then it cost a years wages for a radar, now it costs a week and a halfs wages. It cost more hours wages for a depth sounder back then than it costs for a radar today. With boats being given away, why are kids homeless? I still remember harassment of liveaboards, and the need to sneak aboard ones boat being quite common back then. Back then we dreamt of living aboard our own boats, and made great sacrifices to get there. I carried only bus tokens and only whatever money I needed to get what I went shopping for , no more. I remember working on my first boat at age 20, and having a friend come visit. He said "You are going to have a terrible summer." I said "Yes, but worth it for the endless summer comming. " I had no interest in the dating or party scene, nor booze nor drugs, nor owning a car , expensive clothes etc etc. As a result, I was on my way to New Zealand in my own boat at age 23. I wouldn't trade the choices I made back then, for all the drunken parties, cars , girlfriends, cars , etc, my friends had. The lives they ended up living were a complete, unimaginitive bore, compared to what I have done. I went to a few of those parties in New Zealand . Boy I sure wasn't missing much!
A big part of the problem is those who spread the myth that one should only buy new equipment at ship swindlers grossly inflated prices, and that only spending lots of money will get one into the cruising life. They spread the myth that if you try cruising without supporting the industry, you are somehow morally irresponsible. If the industry wants welfare, they should apply at the welfare office .When I try to tell people of affordable alternatives, like used gear and salvaged gear ,or how to build your own, extremely cowardly moderators on other sites, close the debate, before I get a chance to respond to their myths, and disinformation. Their goal seems to be to keep the cruising alternative reserved for the rich advocates of the predominant religion of our time, squanderism ( consumerism). Their attitude towards ones moral obligation to support squanderism is downright, religious extremist
(consumerism's Taliban)
Sadly, too many of our youth get suckered into their myth that, if you dont have a huge amount of money ,you can forget about the cruising lifestyle. The elitist myth makers cost them their dreams, and leave them eventually living the squanderism lifestyle, which, in the long run, will drastically increase their environmental foot print, as ones environmental foot print is directly measureable by how much money one goes thru.
When youth connect to the fact that they have been suckered into the myth that only the rich can cruise, and that the consumer treadmill is not the only lifestyle option available to them, its like a light going on, and their enthusiasm suddenly springs to life. Then their resourcefullness in getting into the cruising lifestyle is a wonderful thing to observe ( to the chagrin of those who had planned to exploit them for the rest of their lives).
I remember once , while building a boat in Duncan, a friend sticking his head over the rail and saying. "You didn't want to go to university Brent , so work."
I replied "If I had gone to university and got a degree, I'd be driving taxi right now."
He said "Yes, you are probably right. "

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-03-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Baby boomers didn't have a "virtual" world. When the only way to experience life is IRL,if you are adventurous you live the hell out of it IRL.

Adventure, however is a dying commodity in this age of fear. The Post-X generations have been coddled and protected and helicoptered and helmeted and padded and guarded to the point where any adventure is only sustainable in small easily managed and well insured doses.

Nobody would even think about letting their kid hitch hike on their own across north america today, but it was common a generation ago.

Personally, I blame peanut allergies. When i was a kid, nobody had peanut allergies. Now maybe that means all those kids died when they got their first whiff of Jif, I don't know, but somewhere along the way some parent convinced schools that peanut allergies were deadly serious, and for the sake of their precious snowflake, every other kid could no longer bring a peanut butter sammich to school. Then, in retaliation for that snowflake getting peanut products banned from school, some kid hit him with a snowball, then snowballs were banned. It's been downhill into a well-padded adequately supervised perfectly safe peanut and bully free pool ever since...
and now that generation wants everything to be safe and programmed and planned.
Capt.aaron likes this.

Old 07-03-2012
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

I just knew those damn peanuts were to blame for all of this

I think it is natural, understandeable human behavior to want to look after your kids. The problem being that as a society we now are so good at it, so resourced and equipped to protect them from the harms of the world that they end up not ever understanding or experiencing the actual world themselves.

Ironically the greatest danger facing the next generation is diabetes and heat disease, issues largely caused not by being adventurous but by sitting in a house and eating oneself silly.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Last edited by chall03; 07-03-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-03-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaviGsr View Post
The overarching reason is that sailing is completely absent from our cultural radar.

Why were there more baby boomers out in their 20s? Because they grew up in an era where sailing was celebrated as an exciting and adventurous activity. Think about how the global races all started in the late 60s and early 70s: The Golden Globe Race, The Whitbread, The Route Du Rhum. Think of Robin Lee Graham's voyage and how it captivated a generation of young sailors.

Sailing was a part of the whole counterculture of the time. Cruising was (and probably still is) the last bastion of freedom and self-reliance in a very paranoid and frightened world.

Why does my generation not care about sailing? Probably for the same reason we don't care about politics and are generally ignorant of the world at large.

Are there other factors? Sure, there are plenty: We don't have the likes of Pearson marketing sailing as a post-war, middle-class aspiration, those who might be sailors are into "extreme sports" instead, student loans, computers, the internet, the yacht clubbing 80's, the death of American boat builders in the 90's...the list goes on.

But I do think if we weren't so apathetic and had just a small spark of our parent's baby boom ire, we would see the incredible potential of owning a sailboat.
The not knowing is a big part of it too. I'll say it again, if I'd known how easy it was to get time on other people's boats and sail I probably wouldn't have even bought one to start off, but I didn't see any other way, and I wanted to live aboard. Every marina I've passed was gated, and nobody there. How was I supposed to find those people to learn about sailing and boats from. Now that I'm "in" so to speak by having my own boat, I have more invitations to come and sail than I could take people up on, since I am so busy working to repair my boat, and to earn enough to pay for her.

Very frustrating, to think that for the past 4 years I could have been happily learning to sail and meeting all these great people, but just couldn't find my way in.
That's a big part of why sailing is dying out I'm sure. The first book I remember ever reading without pictures was Great Adventures in Small Boats, basically a large collection of summarized stories from singlehanders and small boats. My dad and I never saw eye to eye on it, he wanted me to race(lasers etc) I wanted to explore. I looked at boats for sale of the years, but they were always so far out of reach for me.

So lack of knowledge, or any way to get the knowledge and financial are the big reasons, my concept of the financial end kept me from ever looking, the lack of ability to learn from others kept me from ever learning and there just wasn't any way I could see to get involved with it.

Mixed blessing. Too many boats and it would all be crowded, just like everywhere else.

Brent: I bet the Haida was a bit newer than, a 26 of similar quality and age as they were then is a quite a few dollars more than 9000$ today.

Agree about the rest though, if I'd had better exposure to it, and known I didn't need to spend the kind of money most people spend to get into it, I would certainly have got into it sooner. I thought it was only for the rich(still do in a lot of ways). As far as supporting the industry I'll do that as soon the industry makes something to support me(read: useful, durable and inexpensive parts and hardware).
Old 07-03-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

That's why I wrote my book , to get simpler more affordable ways out, beyond the censorship of some forum moderators, who put the interests of the ship swindlers( their advertisers) first, ahead of those of low income cruisers. That is why my input gets censored.
DavidB.UK likes this.
Old 07-03-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
That's why I wrote my book , to get simpler more affordable ways out, beyond the censorship of some forum moderators, who put the interests of the ship swindlers( their advertisers) first...
Absolutely. After all they PAY to support the site.
I'd censor your cheapskate ass too. Buy an ad.