The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 88 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I like what you are doing with your kids bent...I just had my first newborn 3 months ago and thank God I have a boat I can call my own and its paid for etc...

it is completely true that those born into sailing will obviously become sailors in 75% (EDITED FOR LESS VOLATILTY!)of the cases...and hopefully for me at least and my new family, instead of so much tv and video games activities will be going sailing, fishing, hands on stuff at the beach, games, etc...sports!

the issue I have today and the issue I will be having soon(and pertaining to the future of sailing if you will) is that for us down here at least you really really have to go out of your way to keep kids out of sedentary activities...

for instance parks are dangerous here unless they are in exclusive neighboorhoods, and traffic is completely a mess so driving to go play ball at a park really really is a hassle

sailing will be 1 hour to 2 hours away from us for example but I find it worth it cause we will be doing a family activity and not sitting eating pizza all day in front of the tv...

I think that for us today you have to be willing to accept some sort of outcast demeanor by simply not having your kid have a blackberry in 3rd grade or a full blown laptop in 6th grade and all sorts of virtual games and such...when your kids friends ask him or her what games does he have and he says we fish, we play ball we do outdoor activities by all means he will be the wierd one(hopefully a cool weird one) versus the status quo kids(no offence)

but that is just my take on things being a new parent for the first time! jajaja

I am extremely grateful for having a boat now...there were a few years there in my life that I went without a boat and or access to sailing water...so Im happy for this

too bad its such a project boat! jajajajaja

Last edited by christian.hess; 11-27-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
..................... it is completely true that those born into sailing will obviously become sailors in 90% of the cases...and hopefully for me at least and my new family ..............
Maybe,- maybe not! Actually, most children do not want to follow in the steps of their parents. Our children, raised from infancy to adulthood aboard, have lives ashore in houses. Yet, they live with a simplicity and honor that reflects their childhood.
Did you choose to do what your parents did?
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 11-27-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2013
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

ok 75% I didnt exactly mean they would become exact same sailors, I think what I meant to say in a better way was that they(while still being children) would sail more and sometimes against their will...

as always you cant force a lifestyle but the chances of them sailing or possibilities are greater because its a family thing...

i guess 90% was pushing it jajaja

cheers

ps. I should also stress I was talking about sailing as a passtime...not as a profession...so I want to make that clear...

I didnt study political science at stanford like my dad, Im a cook instead...but my passion for sailing is the same, or more as I used to poke fun at him a while ago! jejeje
CaptainForce and captain jack like this.

Last edited by christian.hess; 11-27-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2013

Stefman is on a distinguished road

My wife and i are 25 and we daysail and race a little in our Catalina 27.....sailing doesnt have to be expensive. After all once you have a boat its FREE! It just requires you to get off your rear and work a little!
Old 12-08-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Maybe,- maybe not! Actually, most children do not want to follow in the steps of their parents. Our children, raised from infancy to adulthood aboard, have lives ashore in houses. Yet, they live with a simplicity and honor that reflects their childhood.
Did you choose to do what your parents did?
my father rode motorcycles and took my brother and i riding. we both ride, now that we are grown. my grandfather built and poled flat bottom carvel planked boats on the monocacy river, i grew up to be a sailor. hmmmm there might be something to what he said.
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by captain jack; 12-08-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

When was the last time you asked some young people on the dock Help me carry these bags to the boat?? Want to come sailing?? Your concerns about potential litigation evaporates on their response of ' Duh,How much you pay?'
'
Old 12-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
When was the last time you asked some young people on the dock Help me carry these bags to the boat?? Want to come sailing?? Your concerns about potential litigation evaporates on their response of ' Duh,How much you pay?'
'

and i'd pay someone to come enjoy a day of sailing, for what reason? i suppose if i had the kind of disposable wealth where i could just throw it about...

i'm not sure that hiring deck hands is a large scale solution to the issue, except for the rich.

although, perhaps, it might be a chance for the more well off in the sailing community to encourage future generations to sail. and, pehaps schools and yacht clubs could also take up that practice. while not something that all of us can do, it isn't a bad idea...for the people or organizations that possess that kind of capital.

for my part, i'd gladly offer some young person the chance to go sailing ( especially if she's cute ) but i can't, very well, afford to pay them for it!

i think, at least in the US, there would be a very real risk of litigation, from disgruntled parents, if a strange adult tried to lure their kid onto a boat. i think a private individual would have to restrict that kind of thing to 18+ type young people. everyone seems more than ready to accuse everyone and their brother of improper behavior towards minors...regardless of presense or lack of evidence.

organizations, however, could advertise ( in free media like craigslist or the local bulletin board at the grocery store ) for young people to offer them the opportunity of income and adventure during summer break. it would be a sort of reverse sailing camp. normal sailing camp being where people pay you to take their kids sailing, instead of you paying kids to come sailing.

Last edited by captain jack; 12-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Take a chance Columbus did ! I try to help by taking some one young or old out for a sail. Hey a 76 year old just set out to go around the world Young at Heart.
Kind Regards, Lou
Old 12-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
Take a chance Columbus did ! I try to help by taking some one young or old out for a sail. Hey a 76 year old just set out to go around the world Young at Heart.
Kind Regards, Lou
that's totally awesome. kudos to him.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I get what you meant. This is a matter of location than necessarily values of today's young people. I think young people far away from major metro areas are far more willing to jump in and help and would like to go for a sail. (without pay) In my marina the young people are more than willing to help. BUT, they are like family to me.

I have no loss of individuals that would like to go for a sail, old and young. In fact; i have to set aside some weekends that are for my family only as i have to many people that would like to go out. (I sail 3 days a week)

It's not that there are less people sailing today.... it's that the 60's generation has bought up all the waterfront and made it to expensive in most of the metro areas.
captain jack likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.