The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising?? - Page 91 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree535Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

i think that's a large part of the issue. that basic idea has popped up several times in this thread. it's undeniable that our modern frame of mind has become exactly as that guy said. at least for a vast majority of people. people do their best during adversity. we don't seem to function as well during tmes of ease. give someone a difficult task and they will give it everything they have, as long as they don't have an easy out. give someone am easy task and they will only apply themselves enough to just barely get it done.

it's like down town frederick, md. that's where i was born and raised. it was settled by german and irish immigrants. if you look up, as you walk through town, you will notice the most beautiful architecture. fancy stonework and artistic designs. my father remembers, even when he was a little kid, how they dragged the big stones, for the banks on the square corner, in by horse. now, building stuff is relatively easy and everything we build is plain and unadorned...i'd say, ugly. it's sad that people who had to work so hard at everything they did could expend the extra time to build in quality and art, yet, we who can do amazing things with ease can't be bothered with either.
RichH, fryewe, bljones and 1 others like this.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 12-17-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2013

tv195 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Just to add to this discussion. We are in our 30s and we are out there cruising, our boat is usually among the smallest in any anchorage, and we don't have all the fancy tools on board, but we are definitely enjoying every second of it!
Keep on sailing -
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2013

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv195 View Post
Just to add to this discussion. We are in our 30s and we are out there cruising, our boat is usually among the smallest in any anchorage, and we don't have all the fancy tools on board, but we are definitely enjoying every second of it!
Keep on sailing -
Chris
we are you eventually heading to?

well start cruising next year...as soon as our boat is ready down here in el salvador...
Old 12-23-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I notice that at present times there's a huge number of old fiberglass boats that have deteriorated equipment, but sound hulls and they are available for less than the cost of the raw materials to build a wooden hull. In my cruising area, along the US East Coast, I've met many young individuals and couples that are moving aboard and/or sailing these older fiberglass boats. Admittedly, there are far fewer in the Northeast where the slips in marinas are so expensive, but from the Chesapeake and down to centra Florida there are many inepensive marinas. My nephew is lining on a Catalina just a few slips down from our current location.
I agree. There has never been a time in my lifetime, when so many older, but still seaworthy, fiberglass boats are available at good prices for someone willing to put in a little sweat equity and some capital.
Sal Paradise likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 12-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv195 View Post
Keep on sailing -
Chris
that's awesome.

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I agree. There has never been a time in my lifetime, when so many older, but still seaworthy, fiberglass boats are available at good prices for someone willing to put in a little sweat equity and some capital.
that's what i am doing. 1971 cal27. $300. needs some work but it's seaworthy. structurally sound. need to find a motor, though.
christian.hess likes this.

1971 Cal 27

Old 12-25-2013
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road

I'm 24 and my girl friend is 23, we cruised from Baltimore to key west last winter on our cheoy lee clipper 33, and had a great 6 month trip. I bought the boat for the price of a used car, and financed the restoration with my construction job, so anyone can do it. We met a couple other youngsters, but less than 10 in total and all older than us, early 30's. There are plenty of cheap boats out there for the taking, the fact is anyone can buy an old boat, and finance its restoration with any old job. The key is to not get sucked into the American dream, and think you need a nice car, and fancy things to show everyone else how successful you are. Everyone has a nice car these days, simply put that money into a boat and you can go cruising. We originally planned to cruise to the Bahamas and beyond, but during the trip we realized what we wanted in the design of our cruising home, and decided to return home, sell that boat I bought for 4 grand for 30, and found a great deal on a spindrift 43 that we are currently restoring, hopefully we will be back cruising by next winter. Kids these days are too caught up in iphones and what ever cloths and superficial ******** they think they need to appear successful, in fact they are restricting themselves. The video games Im sure are a big reason too, why go out into the world for anything when you can sit at home and invade another country, or drive a stolen can, or what ever you want on your game system?
Also, jobs are out there, if you cant find or get a job there is no way you are going to be able to buy fix up and successfully cruise a sailboat.
Group9 and Sal Paradise like this.

Last edited by Cruxandreams; 12-25-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2014

luhtag is on a distinguished road

There's a few out there. I think it tends to go in cycles. Maybe with a plethora of cheap boats available we'll see more and more.

I've been cruising since 23. I'm 39 now and cruise with me wife and three offspring. They're all under ten so they're young.
captain jack likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to luhtag For This Useful Post:
BoatyardBoy (01-03-2014)
Old 01-11-2014

1971 Cal 27