Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Registration Numbers on the Hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Can you say, with certainty, that the hailing port on the stern must agree with the state where the boat is registered?
The Hailing port on the Stern must agree with the Documentation Papers.
Mine says Annapolis, MD.

But, I'm a registered vessel in the State N.J.
You could say Toledo Ohio on the stern, if you want.

The relevant issue for me in N.J. and many other states is that I must still register my Vessel every year and display the ANNUAL registration stickers.
(2) They change colors just like a car's inspection sticker.

I believe It's supposed to be near the Helm on a documented vessel but I place mine on the Base of my mast on either side...facing the beam. so that they are clearly visible to anyone looking for them.

There would be no reason to board me..because I have no numbers showing, I'm showing the registration stickers and a quick search of my vessel name and hailing port would reveal that it's properly documented.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
" document the boats so they don't have to show their DL registration numbers, "
In a word, no. The watercops in the tristate (NY/NJ/CT) area are all very much aware that registration numbers are not required on documented vessels, and documented vessels are VERY common up here.
Not ALL of them are aware, I'm afraid...

On the Friday afternoon prior to Memorial Day, I was running this Gozzard 44 up the Hudson, on a delivery from Annapolis out to Cleveland...

In Haverstraw Bay, I was flagged down and boarded by watercops from the Marine Division of the Ossining, NY police department... I had apparently attracted their attention due to the lack of registration numbers on the hull, the fact that the boat had the previous owner's homeport of "VAIL, COLORADO" on the transom, and there was an inflatable with very faintly legible Maryland registration numbers hanging from the stern davits...

Clearly, at least from their perspective, I had some 'splainin to do... (grin)

The sole documentation I had aboard were copies of the bill of sale, and a running letter from a documentation service that the application for a new documentation was underway... However, these guys were definitely under the impression that even a documented vessel required a state registration (in this case, Ohio), to be displayed... Took a LONG time, several phone calls to the owner, to get that one sorted out...

It had been years since I was last boarded, and one thing I wasn't aware of... the boarding/safety inspection form I was eventually issued was the same one from Homeland Security that the CG uses - I hadn't realized that local municipalities have apparently been entrusted to perform the same sort of boardings/inspections that the CG has...

Learn something new every day, I suppose... But that one was a surprise, to me...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-02-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2012

jppp is on a distinguished road

I only mentioned this for the irony in an instructor/officer/one who patrols the river, not knowing the reg. He didn't make a "mistake", he was adamant that even documented vessels needed the numbers. Heck I really don't care.
I got nuttin' to hide.
Oh, Now I'm told that only the coastguard can board your boat.

I'll put the stickers at the base of the mast. Good idea.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 07-02-2012

Bear Mountain Bridge?
Old 07-02-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
The Hailing port on the Stern must agree with the Documentation Papers....
I am aware of that, and never suggested otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
...Mine says Annapolis, MD.

But, I'm a registered vessel in the State N.J.
You could say Toledo Ohio on the stern, if you want...
That is exactly what I said. Someone could evade sales/use taxes in his state of primary use by registering in DL and documenting (and posting on his stern) a hailing port in MD, NJ, VA, or whatever other taxing state where he keeps his boat. The only way he would be caught is if he were boarded and the state enforcement authorities checked his registration papers. However, I do now realize that some (all?) states that require posting of registration stickers do have a way to detect it without boarding the vessel. Which states require this?

Here's a question for all you documentation experts: As I understand it, the posting of registration numbers is prohibited by the feds, and states cannot overrule this. PA has just started printing the registration number on their registration stickers. Instead of some nondescript multi-decimal number that is cross-referenced to a number on the registration card, it actually has "PA nnnn xx" printed right on the sticker. Does the presence of this number on the sticker now make its posting prohibited by the Feds? (Sorry, I do not have a documented vessel, so I don't know if PA requires reg stickers on documented boats.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-02-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
I only mentioned this for the irony in an instructor/officer/one who patrols the river, not knowing the reg. He didn't make a "mistake", he was adamant that even documented vessels needed the numbers. Heck I really don't care.
I got nuttin' to hide.
Oh, Now I'm told that only the coastguard can board your boat.

I'll put the stickers at the base of the mast. Good idea.
OK, now we know for sure the guy was clearly mistaken and not just misunderstood. He should be reported to his superior or whatever dept. head he works for so he doesn't keep making the same mistake.
Old 07-02-2012

Note: If recreationally documented
with the USCG, the vessel must still be registered with the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The owner is exempt from placing registration numbers on his or her vessel, but the validation decal must be displayed.
That took 2 minutes to find.
Old 07-02-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

You do need the sticky thing in NY BUT they must be lax about it as MANY sail and powerboats got nothing and they been here a LONG time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-02-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Not ALL of them are aware, I'm afraid...

On the Friday afternoon prior to Memorial Day, I was running this Gozzard 44 up the Hudson, on a delivery from Annapolis out to Cleveland...

In Haverstraw Bay, I was flagged down and boarded by watercops from the Marine Division of the Ossining, NY police department... I had apparently attracted their attention due to the lack of registration numbers on the hull, the fact that the boat had the previous owner's homeport of "VAIL, COLORADO" on the transom, and there was an inflatable with very faintly legible Maryland registration numbers hanging from the stern davits...

Clearly, at least from their perspective, I had some 'splainin to do... (grin)

The sole documentation I had aboard were copies of the bill of sale, and a running letter from a documentation service that the application for a new documentation was underway... However, these guys were definitely under the impression that even a documented vessel required a state registration (in this case, Ohio), to be displayed... Took a LONG time, several phone calls to the owner, to get that one sorted out...

It had been years since I was last boarded, and one thing I wasn't aware of... the boarding/safety inspection form I was eventually issued was the same one from Homeland Security that the CG uses - I hadn't realized that local municipalities have apparently been entrusted to perform the same sort of boardings/inspections that the CG has...

Learn something new every day, I suppose... But that one was a surprise, to me...
A CG Recreational use, Documented vessel in Ohio IS required to register and display the annual registration sticker.

Ohio..is generous though..they give the new owner 45 days to register.

Lucky for you, that you had a copy of the Bill of sale, ( a required document in that 45 day period) and the documentation letter, and the owner was available. Or you might have had a longer stay in Ossining.

I believe that ..The Maritime Security Initiatives..similar to the one in NJ..have local leo's working together with the CG..in a coordinated way....

You could have been..on the way to attack West Point...with that battering ram mounted on your deck... ;-)
Old 07-03-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
Bear Mountain Bridge?
Right you are, just among the first of MANY bridges to come on that run...

I've always loved the Hudson/Erie Canal trip out to the lakes, but it's one that is certainly best done on a stinkpot... (grin)