Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012

jppp is on a distinguished road
Registration Numbers on the Hull?

So my boat partner finished the Boater Safety Course here in NY. The officer that taught the class insisted that all applicable boats in NY waters must have the registration numbers affixed to the hull with the sticker just aft of the numbers. I was always under the assumption that documented boats need to be registered (in NY) but are not required to affix numbers to the boat. Well the NY State regs confirm this. Instructor is wrong. He said, not having numbers is a good reason to board the boat. We could put the darn numbers on but have chosen to keep a copy of the regulation on board instead. Why mess up the new paint? I guess we have to hide the drugs and guns better.
That was a joke.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Registration Numbers on the Hull?

So, he's trying to scare you into placing the numbers on the boat.

No problem, call DHS and file charges of domestic terrorism against him. Agree to 18 months of probation if he sucessfully completes retraining and doesn't tell any more lies during those 18 months.
Old 07-02-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
So my boat partner finished the Boater Safety Course here in NY. The officer that taught the class insisted that all applicable boats in NY waters must have the registration numbers affixed to the hull with the sticker just aft of the numbers. I was always under the assumption that documented boats need to be registered (in NY) but are not required to affix numbers to the boat. Well the NY State regs confirm this. Instructor is wrong. He said, not having numbers is a good reason to board the boat. We could put the darn numbers on but have chosen to keep a copy of the regulation on board instead. Why mess up the new paint? I guess we have to hide the drugs and guns better.
That was a joke.
So he made a mistake. I think a proportionate response would be to tell him, and point to the relevant regulation.

Never been wrong about anything?
Old 07-02-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

There was that one time I thought I was wrong...

But I was mistaken...
jppp likes this.

Last edited by Squidd; 07-02-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

The key word being all " Applicable" boats. A documented vessel is not an " Applicable" boat.

The average boater taking these courses probably doesn't document their vessel. Last I looked, NYS only requires jet ski operators and those up to 18 for other boats to take the course.
So he's speaking to his typical population.

And the instructor would be correct in saying that not having numbers could be a cause for someone to take a closer look, though, I've never been stopped in NY waters for not having numbers.

Last edited by Tempest; 07-02-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
So my boat partner finished the Boater Safety Course here in NY. The officer that taught the class insisted that all applicable boats in NY waters must have the registration numbers.
That's the key here. All APPLICABLE boats. It does not APPLY to documented boats. Is it possible your partner just misunderstood the statement or did the guy actually ALL boats including documented boats?

Tempest, I guess we were thinking the same thing. I was writing while you were posting.

Last edited by chuck53; 07-02-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
...And the instructor would be correct in saying that not having numbers could be a cause for someone to take a closer look, though, I've never been stopped in NY waters for not having numbers.
I suspect I'll get flamed for saying this, but here goes anyway:

I think it could be argued that not having numbers should be a cause for the state marine police in NJ, PA, VA, and especially MD to board you and take a closer look. It think it's "the world's worst kept secret" that many people register their boats in Delaware to avoid sales taxes, document the boats so they don't have to show their DL registration numbers, and keep their boats in Maryland. It's blatant tax evasion, and makes the taxes higher for the rest of us who pay our fair share.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-02-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

As a former Navigation Deputy for a County Sheriff's Dpt whose jurisdiction was two of the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario, I can safely say not many of the water deps you find are properly trained or educated on all the navigation laws. Many only focus on a select few laws to enforce because of this, although they wont ever admit that. You would be well served to do your own research on the subject as opposed to merely taking the officer's work for it.

Brad
s/v KIVALO
HDChopper likes this.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 07-02-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" document the boats so they don't have to show their DL registration numbers, "
In a word, no. The watercops in the tristate (NY/NJ/CT) area are all very much aware that registration numbers are not required on documented vessels, and documented vessels are VERY common up here.

The business about hiding DL registrations is nonsense, since every USCG documented vessel has to show a hailing port on the stern, andthe watercops AND TAXMEN have been onto that game since the early 1980's, when they started sweeping the docks and checking for sham corporations. They do the same thing now. You got Delaware papers? OK, what's theboat doing here? How long has it been here? And what's the purpose of the corporation, what other activity does it conduct?

Very few boat owners up here are stupid enough to play that game, because for the past 20 years it has been a good way to get a fast ride to tax court and a hefty penalty.

Old news.
Old 07-02-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Can you say, with certainty, that the hailing port on the stern must agree with the state where the boat is registered?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)