Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best way to go?

OK, we'll keep the negative thoughts to ourselves, at least temporlarily, tell us your plan on how you are going to get the knowledge and experience nessasary to make such a trip. What about your crew? Are they going to follow the same training?
What kind of boat are you planning on buying?
This is a trip that demands lots of experience, both of captain and crew, knowledge of the sea and sailing, a well thought out sailing plan, and especially, a boat built for the task. There are a lot of $100k boats out there that are nice boats, but weren't built for serious, out in the middle of the ocean sailing.
Old 07-01-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Last year a dude showed up in Key West and wanted to do the same thing, but he wanted to sail to Columbia, where he was the Dep. Director of the U.N Columbia, I helped him buy a little Bennetau and we sailed it down. no big whoop. It took me 12 day's sail time, I think 18 all together. The last 500 miles with no engine because it broke in Jamaica. Brazil is harder because of the Devils Throat, very strong opposing currents around Trindad and Tabago. You really need to get some Easting in up North of the Bahamas by catching the southern most westerly's and then sail south to Brazil with the trades, a long Passage but a fun one. If you look on the Chart, or Globe, you see it's almost further east than south from Miami, I did it years ago on a sailing school ship that I was first mate on. You'll need help, please don't let people talk you out of it, It's totally do-able. I'm in Miami right now. PM if you have any specific questions on available boat's etc.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-02-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
How about passing on some of your money making tips? Hope all goes well for you, let us know how it all comes out.

Paul T
Speculation but chances are if the OP is in Alberta that he is involved in some sort of fossil fuel extraction from the earth..If so...that is indeed a good sector to make alot of money....Canada has less environmental regulations than USA as a whole...you can make money in Canada...but your kids might think your a dick...until you buy them a new car with your bonus from TransCanadaHoldings,ltd. or whatever....
Old 07-01-2012

Nac-pro is on a distinguished road

Lol, I'm not in the oil biz. We're into building houses and renos on the high end. We do apartment buildings aswell, we are in the works right now of building a molding line, kitchen line, and hardwood flooring line.. So, maybe, can build our own boat.. If this trip is way to hard even with 2 year of sailing then maybe I might have to really think about it.. But I will keep reading.. And you never know.. We have to see when the time comes..

What do you guys think would be a good sailboat to take wherever,
Size?
Make?
Year?

And what would take with you??
Old 07-01-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

38-foot or bigger if i was goin' that far..older boats have more practical storage areas generally for long hauls..but thats a generality as i said..
something that ain't falling apart
age don't really matter..just got to be sound
Old 07-01-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Something like a westsail in the 40 foot range, Good safety stuff., Life raft etc. People are going to try and talk you out of it, don't listen, stay focused. Come down to Miami and charter a boat from fla. Yacht charters and sail around on it with a blue water captain for a long weekend and get your feet wet. Then go from there.
Old 07-02-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Something like a westsail in the 40 foot range, Good safety stuff., Life raft etc. People are going to try and talk you out of it, don't listen, stay focused. Come down to Miami and charter a boat from fla. Yacht charters and sail around on it with a blue water captain for a long weekend and get your feet wet. Then go from there.
I agree with Capt. Aaron to not give up on this. Just be aware it is a trip that takes a lot of planning and preparation.
Chartering a boat for 3-4 days with an experienced captain is a good idea and a good start, just make sure those 3-4 days includes some ugly weather so you have some idea of what to expect when you are in the middle of the ocean and it turns ugly on you...and it will.
I've got a couple of friends who crewed on a boat at our marina bringing it back from the Caribbean to the Chesapeake Bay via Bermuda. The first leg was fairly quiet and uneventful. The leg from Bermuda to VA was not. They had to heave to and ride out a storm for 36 hours. It was not fun.
Old 07-02-2012

ftldiver is on a distinguished road

when you get to miami, come over to the gulfstream sailing club. they can hook you up with some sailing lessons on a sunfish.

learning on a small boat is the fastest way to learn your mistakes.

you might even want to crew on some races.

but sailing to brazil, is crossing a few oceans.
nature is unforgiving.
low percentage odds for inexperience newbies.

but come on down and sail, there are many clubs to offer lessons, and crew opportunities.
Old 07-03-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Being stuck in Alberta is not an issue. You are 75 minutes (by air) from some of the best sailing in the world. There are lots of Alberta sailors; I know, I taught many of them. I can point you to instructors in Edmonton if you wish. I can also point you to schools in Vancouver or on Vancouver Island.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 07-03-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Sailing to Brazil from the Caribbean is pretty tough as you are going against current and tradewinds. It can be done by hugging the coast of Brazil looking for the counter currents or at least a weaker contrary current. It is much easier to head to Africa and then cut back to Brazil.

Read here for the route and logic:

Atom Voyages - The Long Way Back to Brazil (Part 1)

Where you intend to cruise in Brazil will determine where you make landfall on the coast of Brazil. Sailing south from Recife is best done in the summer. North from Rio (or points further south) is best done in the winter, taking advantage of the cold fronts and slightly weaker contrary current. BTW, the World Cup will be played in stadiums all over the country, so perhaps arriving and getting around by plane makes more sense. Leave any Spanish football jerseys back home as you are bound to end up in trouble wearing one here!
Capt.aaron likes this.

Last edited by copacabana; 07-03-2012 at 10:38 AM.