Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Best way to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
the eastern tradewinds are your friend if you are headed to Brazil...fastest way but roughest is maybe just skirt Cuba and then maybe head for jamaica..then on down...next stop maybe Trinidad...
Geez, what do you have against this guy, that you would put him through such misery? (grin)

I would certainly not recommend a transit of the Old Bahama Channel, especially to a newb... Very little margin for error there, tons of shipping, that's a pretty nerve-wracking passage, although as a Canadian, he does have the advantage of being able to stop in Cuba if need be... Still, I consider that to be a very hazardous route, against the trades...

Then, why head to Jamaica? Not only would you be giving up easting, but you'd further degrade the very tight sailing angle to the east... Looking at a chart of the entire Caribbean basin, I'm hard pressed to select a more arduous passage than the beat into the trades from Jamaica to Trinidad...

Only 2 real choices, IMHO... Either the Thorny path to the Lesser Antilles, or the offshore route described by Don Street and others, out the NE Providence Channel in advance of a cold front, riding it as far east as possible, then tacking south and hoping you fetch up in the Virgins, or thereabouts...

I'm not sure those who are encouraging him to "Just Do It" have any real appreciation for how difficult a voyage this might be, especially for someone with minimal sailing experience... It's one thing for a newbie to start out with a downwind voyage like the one from SoCal to Baja, but it's another thing entirely to suggest that their first ever offshore sailing be the bash back north, instead... Hell, every year many cruisers with considerable experience attempt to sail from S Florida to the Eastern Caribbean, and never make it beyond Georgetown, or Luperon... In a season where the trades are really kicking, that can be a pretty brutal trip...

If this guy is really determined to do this, I think a far more sensible approach would be to find a boat in a place like Annapolis, then get his feet wet sailing down the east coast... If he's a quick study, then perhaps by the time he's reached Florida, he could attempt the route offshore from the Abacos/NE Providence...

Or, should he choose the Throny Path route, perhaps by the time he gets into the SE Bahamas, he starts to wonder if it's worth it to beat a couple of more thousand miles into headwinds and adverse current just to attend a couple of soccer matches, and comes to the realization that it probably doesn't get all that much better than right where he is, right then... (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-03-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road

Why not buy a boat in Europe and sail it across the atlantic on a much more favourable angle. Sailing wise it would be a much more favourable route (with the wind), and probably a similar distance.

I wouldn't recommend sailing that far into the trades, the moment I was able to start sailing with the trades was a very happy day.

Unless you have another 30k sitting around, buy a cheaper boat.

Trying to mash two separate dreams/goals together is a bit ridiculous. Sail with the wind and fly to Brazil. What happens if the game is a dud, 1-0 and all defensive. Or you get seasick the whole way.

Sailing wise I'm sure you could do it, but it would be a real pain and make both events less enjoyable.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

This book by Jimmy Cornell should help you plan a trip like you are contemplating:
Amazon.com: World Cruising Routes (0639785802327): Jimmy Cornell: Books Amazon.com: World Cruising Routes (0639785802327): Jimmy Cornell: Books

Good Luck Alberta.
jackdale likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Why not buy the boat in Argentina and start from there? It's not such a long sail up to Brazil from there, although it can be a challenging one.
Old 07-04-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

He need's help. Nothing wrong with buying a good blue water boat and hiring a captain for such a trip. It's just like sailing from Miami to Puerto Rico, you ride the westeryly's out to I 65 and head south, Except in this case you ride them out for another 4 or 5 day's and then head south. The Carribean route is out of the question, doing it with out an experirenced captain is out of the question as well. He should still do it.
Old 07-04-2012

Nac-pro is on a distinguished road

Lol, thanks everyone for the info that I have got, iv been getting all of your posts via e-mail and been reading... Like I said I have no clue how the wind blows and wanted to hit all the islands in the carabben and head south of the northeast coast of brazil to head to Reo.. But because of the wind it will be hard to do.. The best way south seems is to head northeast then run south thru open water.. Witch I don't think I'm ready for even in 2years time would rather stay close to the coast line ( just in case ).. And I don't want a power boat to do so.. The only reson to head there is for a soccer game and would rather just fly there and spend some time with family I have down there.. May be pick up a boat there and head north.. Would that be a better idea?? I still win, I can stop at all the places I would like to see just backwards.. Lol..
Old 07-04-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Sailng back from Brazil is a piece of cake. And there are boats for sale there.
Old 07-04-2012

Aaaron, Brazil is the last place you want to look for a boat. Argentina has a better selection of cruising boats and far better prices. You are correct in saying the sail back from Brazil is a piece of cake.
Old 07-04-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Argentina then. I have no personal desire to go to back Brazil but I LOVE Argentina. (the girls any way.... and the Matte'...and the tango....not that I can do it, but I like to watch, and the beef and the... mountains....and the wine.....and the night life......and their spanish........

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-04-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2012

Yes Aaron, Argentina is wonderful. Buenos Aires is one of the truly great cities of the world. I spend a lot of time there (my family has been farming there for over 200 years). I still think the girls are nicer in Brazil though...
Capt.aaron likes this.