SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Best way to go? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/89236-best-way-go.html)

Nac-pro 07-01-2012 06:37 PM

Best way to go?

Hello every one,

My name is Neil, and yes I'm a newbe.. Never been on a sailboat, but would love to get one.. But I'm suck in Alberta, I want to see the world and I plan on it..

So heres the plan:

Me and some of my family members want to drive from Edmonton Alberta to Miami, where I plan on having a sailboat ready for this trip..

Then jump on boat(witch I don't have) and sail to brazil to watch a world cup soccer game in 2014..
I need to know what's the best way to go and any info for this newbe would awaome, what would you guys do if you wanted to go what would you must haves..

Thanks

msmith10 07-01-2012 06:40 PM

Re: Best way to go?

south

CaptTony 07-01-2012 06:46 PM

The best way to go is come down to earth and do a reality check. You have no idea what such a trip entails in equipment and sailing experience. I'm sure when you find out, you'll be making plane reservations for Brazil.

Nac-pro 07-01-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptTony (Post 891487)
The best way to go is come down to earth and do a reality check. You have no idea what such a trip entails in equipment and sailing experience. I'm sure when you find out, you'll be making plane reservations for Brazil.

Thanks captbringdown,

1- have no problom dropping 100k in to something that I would enjoy for the rest of my life.
2- I have 2 years to perpar and all the time in the world..

Plz keep your nagative thoughts or rude comments to your self..

What I'm asking what is the best route to take and what would be the things you may need..

dabnis 07-01-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nac-pro (Post 891484)
Hello every one,

My name is Neil, and yes I'm a newbe.. Never been on a sailboat, but would love to get one.. But I'm suck in Alberta, I want to see the world and I plan on it..

So heres the plan:

Me and some of my family members want to drive from Edmonton Alberta to Miami, where I plan on having a sailboat ready for this trip..

Then jump on boat(witch I don't have) and sail to brazil to watch a world cup soccer game in 2014..
I need to know what's the best way to go and any info for this newbe would awaome, what would you guys do if you wanted to go what would you must haves..

Thanks

Before you put a whole lot of money, blood, sweat and tears into this I suggest you "test the waters" to see if you even like sailing, especially for long rough conditions. Don't know if there are any sailing opportunities near you? If not it might be a good investment to visit the coast and try to go out with an experienced skipper or a crewed charter. Even a sportsfishing charter boat to get a feel for rough ocean conditions. It is a long way on a cramped boat to get
there. A trial run or two may be a big eye opener. I am not trying to rain on your parade but that is a very serious undertaking with your and other lives at risk.

Paul T

JonEisberg 07-01-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nac-pro (Post 891499)
Thanks captbringdown,

1- have no problom dropping 100k in to something that I would enjoy for the rest of my life.
2- I have 2 years to perpar and all the time in the world..

Plz keep your nagative thoughts or rude comments to your self..

What I'm asking what is the best route to take and what would be the things you may need..

No offense, but if I were going to spend $100K to attend a soccer match in Brazil, and make it truly memorable, I'd charter a Lear Jet and pack it with half dozen of the finest Las Vegas hookers money could buy...

For starters, you should have a look at Herb McCormick's account of the passage between the Caribbean and Brazil... Even for a crew as vastly experienced as that aboard OCEAN WATCH, and a boat as well found as theirs, that passage is certainly no cakewalk...

Google "South Equatorial Current", if you have any doubts...

As far as "things you may need", might I suggest a Nordhavn 62? (grin)

http://www.nordhavn.com/models/62/gallery/running/1.jpg

souljour2000 07-01-2012 07:44 PM

there's alot of ambiguity still..as far as "coming down to Miami"..now if that means spending a few months there while finding a boat and doing some coastal sailing in preparation while reading everything you can get your hands on about sailing..and sailing every minute you arent...and your generally a quick study then in a few months...if you have brass balls.. you might be able to launch for points south...the eastern tradewinds are your friend if you are headed to Brazil...fastest way but roughest is maybe just skirt Cuba and then maybe head for jamaica..then on down...next stop maybe Trinidad...I really don't know..but I doubt it that simple in terms of routing...should be mostly a beam reach south and back though there will be some rough areas of beating to windward at times for sure as theeastern trades don't hardly come from straight 90 degrees....the hardest beat will likely be heading east/southeast from trinidad down around to Brazil...There's alot to learn before such an adventure if you want to be reasonably safe...though..I have been sailing for about 7-8 years and have lprobaby only a 1000 sea-miles under my belt and i am just getting to the point where I would go more than 100 miles offshore in a boat under my own command...the sea is a harsh teacher to the uninitiated...good luck though and think it through..maybe chartering a yacht from trinidad/tobago might be a better plan..That way you have less big ocean passages...but coastal sailing demands perhaps as much knowledge as blue-water if not more...there's just more help available near coastlines..Not trying to put a damper on your idea..but that's a fairly tall order..will require alot of "work"...might be a grand adventure..who knows...might also be a pipedream...sometimes those are good to have too..

souljour2000 07-01-2012 08:00 PM

Yeah...or just get the Nordhaven...probably one or three in South Fla...

Nac-pro 07-01-2012 08:50 PM

I understand that this maybe a hard task to take, and I plan on getting a boat once I find one that I like and will fit my needs to take on whatever we want it to do. I'm going to Vancouver for a company meeting and plan on looking at some boats next month if I find one I was thinking of haveing it shipped to Miami and leaving it there for a getaway, iv been on boats but never sailboats, we also plan on heading to Cuba for diving trip in October, I know what the sea can do and won't let risking my family's safety, thanks for the info and I will plan on getting on the water for some experience, but for locally all I have are lakes, but plan whenever I can to get on the big blue..

dabnis 07-01-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nac-pro (Post 891532)
I understand that this maybe a hard task to take, and I plan on getting a boat once I find one that I like and will fit my needs to take on whatever we want it to do. I'm going to Vancouver for a company meeting and plan on looking at some boats next month if I find one I was thinking of haveing it shipped to Miami and leaving it there for a getaway, iv been on boats but never sailboats, we also plan on heading to Cuba for diving trip in October, I know what the sea can do and won't let risking my family's safety, thanks for the info and I will plan on getting on the water for some experience, but for locally all I have are lakes, but plan whenever I can to get on the big blue..

How about passing on some of your money making tips? :D Hope all goes well for you, let us know how it all comes out.

Paul T