SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   The First Big Trip (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/89241-first-big-trip.html)

JedNeck 07-01-2012 10:11 PM

The First Big Trip

I've had my Cal21 for almost a year now. We are getting pretty comfortable with each other. :)
I have only sailed her on my small Mt. lake where I live but because she is right here on the dock I've logged a ton of hours.

Time to go bigger...

So I'm loading the wife, the kid and the dog in the truck hitching up the boat and heading for Lake Ozette(Washingtons 3rd largest lake) for a week.

Lake Ozette gets a little windy being located right next to the Pacific, and regularly sees 1-2' waves. Nothing for a blue water guy to batt an eyelash at but might be fun for me in my little 1100lbs tub.

The boat is fairly well setup with gear. All the regular safety stuff, 8.0 Johnson sailmaster w/ 12v, new deep cycle battery, good main and 4 headsails, depth sounder, 15lbs Danforth w/100' rode, new cushions, boat hook, swim ladder, paddles, etc.
We also have all our regular camping gear, stove, lanterns etc.

This will be our first overnighter in this or any other sailboat...What other things should I be thinking about?

JimsCAL 07-01-2012 10:34 PM

Re: The First Big Trip

Enjoy! Sounds like you've thought this through. If you've gone camping you're prepared for a couple of nights on a 21 footer. A second anchor and rode would be good to have if you don't.

Capt.aaron 07-01-2012 10:38 PM

Get a second and bigger anchor.

Cruiser2B 07-01-2012 11:39 PM

Enjoy! Make sure to document the trip and post back! have a great time!

sailguy40 07-02-2012 01:54 AM

A Cal21 may not be heavy but is still a well made boat so I don't see a problem with the 1 to 2' waves. Waves like that are no problem to my Oday 22 and I hardly feel them while I am under sail although I displace just over 2600lbs im only a foot longer. Better comparison, my friend had a Venture 21 which I think was a little over 1100lbs and we had it out in the gulf of mexico in 2 to 3' seas and she moved along pretty nicely with a dry ride too. I think you will have a nice trip! :)

Silvio 07-02-2012 06:10 AM

Have fun! Take plenty of water and snacks, coffee is a must for me and enjoy your trip. Sounds like you and your boat are well prepared. Avoid skinny water and rocks.

waterwks4me 07-02-2012 06:18 AM

Ditto on the second anchor. Make sure you make the time to feel the wind in your face, enjoy the family, enjoy the boat, and the ability to enjoy it all. Soak it up like a sponge. We only live once.

BubbleheadMd 07-02-2012 07:16 AM

Sounds like an awesome trip. You'll do fine.

claire.giulini 07-04-2012 03:46 PM

Have fun! Enjoy! We recently started to learn sailing under guidance of Offshore Sailing School, & sailed to BVI. We are also sailing to Florida.

We have also created Blog on our Sailing experience, The Sun Over the Yardarm!!!