SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   No financial crisis ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/89272-no-financial-crisis.html)

pcloot 07-02-2012 07:02 PM

No financial crisis ?

Hi ,
I'm looking around for an used sailboat and extremely surprised about the stable prices fact on the situation that you get houses in Fl for any price! And all the house prices dropped down immensely .
Sure that you will find good deals on used sailboat but not so indicating as houses! As well good deals you found also before the crisis.
Could somebody tell me why is this ?
Thanks
:cool:

night0wl 07-03-2012 10:00 AM

Re: No financial crisis ?

Because houses were an asset bubble that inflated and then burst. Sailboats are expensive, but never entered bubble territory. Stop looking for an absolute steal of a boat and look for a clean clean clean boat that is in your price range. You'll come out ahead in most cases when you factor in the time wasted.

If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel price wise, I strongly suggest downsizing the boat you put yourself into or chartering. I can point you to at least a half dozen blogs where someone bought a project boat only to let go of the dream after spending thousands of dollars and unbelievable amount of labor time getting their project up and going.

Murph 07-03-2012 07:28 PM

Good answer, Owl! After studying up on slip and yard fees here I've decided to wuh.....wuh.....hang on, I'll get it out.....wait.

As painful as it is, my heart tells me to keep saving, keep looking & keep quiet....although I've been whining about my decision since I made it.

On a positive note, now my wife doesn't know what to do....and I quote, "I might as well just let you by a boat so you shut the %@#* up!"

Aaaahhhh.....comfy couch ;)

GaryHLucas 07-03-2012 09:09 PM

Add Content

pcloot 07-06-2012 07:10 PM

No financial crisis ?

Thanks for the reply which makes sense.

Adele-H 11-24-2012 10:43 AM

Sounds like you might want to look at trailer/sailers.
Though some can be in pretty rough shape, once in a while there's a pearl out there.
I waited and looked for about 2 years before buying my boat. Not a trailerable boat at least not to put in and haul out.
It is nice and "needed" nothing, but of course I love her and will be adding, refitting, polishing and fixing things from here on out.
Had a trailer built for it, it cost me just a little over storage fees for two years...
The boat is most of the time the cheaper part of sailing. Docks, slips, mooring, storage, putting in and out can add up to quite a bundle every year....not to mention all the little stuff that you have to replace, maintain. The incessant wish list of gadgets and gear...
Some good little sail boat that live on trailers can be quite a bargain when you add everything up.

groggy 11-24-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murph (Post 892303)
Good answer, Owl! After studying up on slip and yard fees here I've decided to wuh.....wuh.....hang on, I'll get it out.....wait.

As painful as it is, my heart tells me to keep saving, keep looking & keep quiet....although I've been whining about my decision since I made it.

On a positive note, now my wife doesn't know what to do....and I quote, "I might as well just let you by a boat so you shut the %@#* up!"

Aaaahhhh.....comfy couch ;)

you're in good company, i'm waiting and saving too. i figure not only is it wiser to get a better boat off the bat than to get trapped in a "project", but also that the purchase price is just the down payment on maintenance, upgrades, and slip fees.

i've been down this road before though, so i'm not worried about never getting there. some things take time though.

cherev 11-25-2012 08:42 PM

If you've never before personally owned a vessel or motor-home, starting out with charters is the better plan. You gradually widen the adventure, chartering locally for a Summer (or the best season locally), then go further and further afield.

Wives like vacations where they can get away from their 'second job', so a crewed charter for the first big two-week outing may please. Also it builds confidence that Jaws won't leap from the mysterious briny deep to seize the happy splasher.

Having your own hole-in-the-water is best a destination arrived at when you know more about what it is you don't know. Then you can savour your busted knuckles and empty wallet with the proper ironic resignation.