Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Danger - Greek taxes

Thanks for that update, Periwinkle – as Michael hasn’t posted again, maybe you will keep us informed.

A quick search came up with the relevant law, from 1999, although, as taxes are in drachma, it has probably been updated since then.

LAW 2743
Recreational vessels and other provisions.

6. a) On foreign flag private recreational vessels a special compensatory contribution in favour of the State will be imposed, for a three-month period of stay, in consideration of the facilities provided to them during their stay in the country.

b) Such contribution is fixed at the amount of five thousand drachmas (GRD 5,000) for each metre of the private recreational vessel's length overall and it will become due and payable as of the conclusion of the three-month period. The contribution shall accrue from the date of entry of the vessel in the Greek territorial waters to the conclusion of the vessel's three-month stay in Greece and, then, to the conclusion of each next following three-month period. If the vessel leaves the country prior to the conclusion of the three-month period but she enters again the country within a period of one month, then such contribution will be due and payable upon the conclusion of three months, but the time period preceding the vessel's exit will be taken into account.

c) The coast guard authority, in addition to the sanctions laid down in this law, will be entitled to prohibit the departure of a private recreational vessel until the contribution due is paid.

d) No contribution will be imposed on private recreational vessels flying the flag of a member country of the European Union (EU), of a country of the European Economic Area (EEA) or the flag of one of the countries of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), excluding Switzerland, on condition that the EU Treaty is in force and effect in the territory of the State in which the ship registers (in which these vessels are recorded) are kept.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2012

svperiwinkle is on a distinguished road
Re: Danger - greek taxes

Thanks very much for this extra information Geoff. Yes, this looks like the law we are dealing with. Using a conversion I found on the internet (Convert Euros (EUR) and Greek Drachmas (GRD): Currency Exchange Rate Conversion Calculator) the 5,000 Drachmas converts to EUR14.67 per metre, which is the same (less a Euro cent) than the figure Michael quotes. I guess there could have been amendments in the detail of the law since 1999, but this is a great start.

We are heading off cruising for a few weeks now, so won't do any more on this for a while. We will post if there are any developments.
Old 07-13-2012

Michael J Roberts is on a distinguished road
Re: Danger - greek taxes

Hi all

We are free, before I tell the story, here are some facts:
1. our boat is 14m long
2. we arrived in Rhodes in 2003 from Turkey and got a Transit Log
3. we sail about ten weeks a year then put the boat on the hard and lodge our Transit Log with the Preveza customs
4. we get our Transit Log stamped once or twice each year as we potter aroun the Ionian
5. in all that time no Port Police have ever asked us to pay the Reciprocal Tax
6. two years ago we were given a photocopy of the law by the Zakinthos Police but no mention was made about paying anything

Now the story. We sat in dread for about five days, watched over by a big coast guard boat (this could be my paranoia). Then we rang the local lawyer we had asked to help us. She was ill, out of action for days, days we could not endure. So we went to the Port Police, I had 1,000 euros in cash in a plastic bag in my pocket. We spoke to the head policeman, he was sympathetic, there were no other goons in the office except one young guy who interpreted. The mood was different: "Of course we didn't expect you to come up with 9,500 euros" Within minutes a deal was done - we would pay the first year's tax and "Put that money away, you take it to the Tax Office in the square." Every thing was done very correctly - pay the cash at the Tax Office, take the receipt back to the Police.

The calculation is this 14.68 euros per meter x 14 meters x 4 lots of three months + 23% tax = 1010 euros.

We have eight years to go and every year another 1010 euros will be added.

The Port Police seem to have a procedures manual called "Yachtsmen" - this contains the law. Do not be confused with another law which exemts boats under 15m - this "Special Tax" law was repealed two years ago.

When I get back to Sydney in August I will scan the documents detailing the law and send them to anyone who is interested.

Happy sailing all
Michael