Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jamesnewsome

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road
Seafarer 31

I was out for a solo sail on Saturday, and came across a boat I had never seen before. She was ahead of me, but looked like she had sweet, old fashioned lines. A light gray hull, winglass stern and long overhangs.

We were sailing parallel courses, so I decided to try and catch up, partially to have a good sailing exercise, and partially to get a better look. I did catch up, and I was quite proud of myself as my boat is a 23 foot trailer sailer, and this boat (if the sail number was to be believed) was a 31 footer. However, to put my accomplishment in perspective, I don't think the other sailer was even aware of my existence, and as I got closer, it was clear that this was an older design. The heeled hull looked like it was a full keel, and the overhangs were pretty long (meaning her waterline length was not so far off of mine, and she had plenty of wetted surface).

Anyway, the boat was gorgeous: lots of brighwork, including coamings, a spoon bow, springy sheer and overall beautiful lines. I made a note of the sail logo, and looked it up when I got home. It was a Seafarer 31. At first I was confused as the pictures on line showed fiberglass coamings, but I then found some older models that had the teak or mahogany coamings. That was the boat for sure.

However, I didn't see much in terms of owner's resources on line. I am hoping that someone out there in Sailnet land can provide me some info on the boat. Can anyone give me a review of how she sails? I am always on the look out for my upgrade boat, and she fits the bill size and lookswise. Any info appreciated!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: Seafarer 31

this might help a little:

Seafarer 31 information

If she was Bill Tripp-designed, then a decent sailor, not fast, not slow, seakindly and predictable.
Old 07-03-2012

jamesnewsome is on a distinguished road

The Seafarer 31 was a Bill Tripp, Jr. design and came in two models, yawl and tall rig. The tall rig was actually considered a fairly decent racing boat.

There is very good information about Seafarers in general at Saiboatdata.com.
Sailboats built by Seafarer Yachts by year on Sailboatdata.com

Another excellent source of information I call the Treasure Trove of Seafarer information is at FloridaBoats.net
http://floridaboats.net/archive/seaf...how/index.html

The oldest independently run web site for Seafarers is the Seafarer Research Center. The site is not as active as it used to be but there is still good info there.
http://www.seafarer-research-center.com/

The forum at Sailboatowner.com, the forum on SailNet (link below) and the Facebook Group: Seafarer Yacht Group are the most active areas to network with fellow Seafarer owners.

Seafarer - SailboatOwners.com

Seafarer - SailNet Community

I am the administrator of the Facebook group so if interested just go there and request membership and I'll respond. We are most likely the largest active group of owners with 146 members. The other forums are good also because some folks are reluctant to use FB.

FYI, currently there is a young couple from Washington (state) full-time cruising on a S38C TM name Silver Lining. They spent 5 years restoring her and then left their jobs to live their dream on a 38' Seafarer. Elan and Ashley passed through the Panama Canal over the weekend and are now in the Caribbean.

Sailing Silver Lining

Overall, the Seafarers seems to be pretty timeless sailboats. Her designers were the legends in sailboat design from McCurdy and Rhodes, Bill Tripp, to Sparkman & Stephens. Phillip Rhodes built a Seafarer 38 for his personal use and his daughter still sails her today.

Most owners are very loyal to the brand and understand that Seafarers aren't Hinckleys, but they are still very well designed boats and will provide years of great sailing experience for a small investment.

Take care,

James
s/v Roma
Seafarer 29
mstern likes this.
Old 07-03-2012
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

We had a 31' come into the marina last year, and I have to tell you, that was the prettiest boat in the whole marina. What classic lines. Anyone .... and I mean even an old catamaran guy like me would be proud to sail one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2012

jamesnewsome is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
We had a 31' come into the marina last year, and I have to tell you, that was the prettiest boat in the whole marina. What classic lines. Anyone .... and I mean even an old catamaran guy like me would be proud to sail one.
There was also a very limited number of Seafarer 31-II IOR Tall Rigs built. I think that many among the Seafarer community consider it to be the prettiest of all the fleet. It certainly had the classic Tripp lines.
Old 07-04-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnewsome View Post
The Seafarer 31 was a Bill Tripp, Jr. design and came in two models, yawl and tall rig. The tall rig was actually considered a fairly decent racing boat.

There is very good information about Seafarers in general at Saiboatdata.com.
Sailboats built by Seafarer Yachts by year on Sailboatdata.com

Another excellent source of information I call the Treasure Trove of Seafarer information is at FloridaBoats.net
http://floridaboats.net/archive/seaf...how/index.html

The oldest independently run web site for Seafarers is the Seafarer Research Center. The site is not as active as it used to be but there is still good info there.
http://www.seafarer-research-center.com/

The forum at Sailboatowner.com, the forum on SailNet (link below) and the Facebook Group: Seafarer Yacht Group are the most active areas to network with fellow Seafarer owners.

Seafarer - SailboatOwners.com

Seafarer - SailNet Community

I am the administrator of the Facebook group so if interested just go there and request membership and I'll respond. We are most likely the largest active group of owners with 146 members. The other forums are good also because some folks are reluctant to use FB.

FYI, currently there is a young couple from Washington (state) full-time cruising on a S38C TM name Silver Lining. They spent 5 years restoring her and then left their jobs to live their dream on a 38' Seafarer. Elan and Ashley passed through the Panama Canal over the weekend and are now in the Caribbean.

Sailing Silver Lining

Overall, the Seafarers seems to be pretty timeless sailboats. Her designers were the legends in sailboat design from McCurdy and Rhodes, Bill Tripp, to Sparkman & Stephens. Phillip Rhodes built a Seafarer 38 for his personal use and his daughter still sails her today.

Most owners are very loyal to the brand and understand that Seafarers aren't Hinckleys, but they are still very well designed boats and will provide years of great sailing experience for a small investment.

Take care,

James
s/v Roma
Seafarer 29
Thanks. Just what I was hoping for. When I move up from my current boat (Oday 23) to one that I can cruise a bit on, I want a traditional looking boat, but not a full keel with attached rudder. That sort of limits my options as I will not be buying a Friendship, M-Line from Morris or Alerion. I am very happy to have stumbled across the Seafarer option.

btw, the floridaboats.net link you provided was dead. I found the information by going to floridaboats.net and clicking through to the Seafarer options. And the seafarer research center link isn't connecting either.

Regardless, I greatly appreciate the info and the group connections. If (hopefully when) I find my next boat, I will be in touch with you all!