SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Dinghy Plans (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/89301-dinghy-plans.html)

avd155 07-03-2012 05:39 PM

Dinghy Plans

I am looking for suggestions for dinghy plans.

I would like to build an excellent cruising dinghy. It must have the following characteristics:
+ Sails
+ Rows
+ Can be stowed in a deck area of about 4' (between the mast and doger, on the cabin-top). Likely meaning the dinghy must be nestable.
+ Buoyant when flooded
+ No engine mount necessary (will use wind/human power only)

Might you have suggestions for designs I could investigate that meet the above characteristics?

Allen-deckard 07-03-2012 05:55 PM

I always wanted to build a shell back dingy went as far as buy g the plans although unfortunately that's as far as i ever got.

Wouldn't meet the 4' requirement though.

What about one of those dingys i believe called fatty knees although not sure just off the top of my head.

RhodesSwiftsure 07-03-2012 06:01 PM

Re: Dinghy Plans

Eastport Nesting Pram:

Eastport Nesting Pram

You can order just plans, or full kit. Build from plans and buy just sailing rig, etc., etc. Very nice little boat, I built the non-nesting version.

wayina 07-03-2012 06:44 PM

I purchased the plans for a Nutshell 9'6" pram dinghy from the States and am converting it to a nesting dinghy like the Eastport, might wind up with something totally useless but then I might not, its all about experience, building a better mousetrap theory

Brent Swain 07-03-2012 07:08 PM

Danny Green has a two part nesting dinghy design, that several of my clients have built, and done extensive cruising with. They are very happy with it. Stows in around 4 ft.

copacabana 07-03-2012 07:12 PM

Have a look at Danny Greene's "Chameleon" 10' nesting dinghy. It seems to fit your needs to a "T".

Chameleon

I ordered the plans directly from him and plan on making mine this winter. There is an article in Good Old Boat about the Chameleon written by the couple on the Mason 33 "Carina". I think it came out in the penultimate issue.

As soon as mine is ready I'm going to have an inflatable dinghy burning ceremony... :)

EDIT: I just saw that Brent Swain beat me to it! BTW, Brent's book has the plans for a very nice aluminium "origami" dinghy that looks like it would be a great cruising dinghy, except it doesn't break down into 2 pieces.

copacabana 07-03-2012 07:30 PM

Avd155, I re-read your requirements and noted: "Can be stowed in a deck area of about 4' (between the mast and doger, on the cabin-top)". The Chameleon's nesting measurements are 5.4' x 4,2' x 1.8', which means it's too long for your cabin top (unless you stow it sideways). Have a look at the Good Old Boat article as the owners of Carina had the same problem and worked around it by shortening the Chameleon to 8 feet with no real change in performance.

bljones 07-03-2012 09:53 PM

With the sapce you have to work with, i like a wooden widget stasha

http://www.woodenwidget.com/Images/L1004415s.jpg
plans

JonEisberg 07-03-2012 09:56 PM

The Spindrift from B & B Designs in NC is a beautiful little boat...

spindrift

However, looks like it's a bit too long for your 4' maximum length dimension...
Perhaps you can scale it down, to suit your requirements...

I built one years ago, here's a shot of the bow section alone on the foredeck of my 30-footer...

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ctiondeck1.jpg

However, as I mentioned in another thread recently on dinghies, I quickly came to realize it was not the answer for me... I think if you're determined to go the hard dinghy route, you might have to resign yourself to towing it virtually all of the time...

Cruisers actually used to do that, once upon a time... (grin)

The Spindrift does tow, and row, beautifully... I still use mine from time to time when sailing in my local waters...

One suggestion, however - try mocking up with cardboard or light plywood the rough shape of whatever you decide upon, place it on your coachroof, and go sailing for a weekend or more...

It just might tempt you to give a second thought to a small inflatable, instead... (grin) On a 27-footer, a nesting dinghy will represent a GIGANTIC BOX that will greatly impede your visibility forward WHENEVER IT IS ON DECK...

Be absolutely certain beforehand, that you really want to go there... (grin)

avd155 07-03-2012 10:17 PM

Thank you all for your input! This has been a great help and I have a much better idea of all the options available.

I am gathering research and addressing my questions now. In the next couple months, I will upload all my research and decisions to my site. Once I build the dinghy (which may be the next project I take on), I will also do a full walkthrough of how the process went.

For future reference, the URL is - Bristol27.com Dinghy