Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012

LeeSails is on a distinguished road
Queensland weather in Australian summer

Hi all,
I'm planning to head from Mooloolaba to Cairns over December this year, and was wondering what the opinion is on weather conditions?

Specifically, will it take twice as long waiting for the runs of northerlies every week or so?

Have heard on the grape vine that the northerlies are speed killers over Oct-Nov, but what's the prevailing over December??? Would love to go next march but unfortunately limited by a job waiting for me...

Any help or advice is much appreciated!!!

Good luck and fair wind to all =)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Re: Queensland weather in Australian summer

remember - Cyclone season and most of us run south of Gladstone at the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSails View Post
Hi all,
I'm planning to head from Mooloolaba to Cairns over December this year, and was wondering what the opinion is on weather conditions?

Specifically, will it take twice as long waiting for the runs of northerlies every week or so?

Have heard on the grape vine that the northerlies are speed killers over Oct-Nov, but what's the prevailing over December??? Would love to go next march but unfortunately limited by a job waiting for me...

Any help or advice is much appreciated!!!

Good luck and fair wind to all =)
Well, the further north you go, the better the chances for a sail as the wind will usually swing more around to the east and you are basically heading NW. If you need to be there, you can motorsail to get to an anchorage before it gets dark.

Alternatively, if you really need to be on a delivery trip, wait for a strong wind warning to start to ease and get out there and go for it, around the top of Fraser in 24 hrs, rest if need be in Muscrave lagoon, [if less than 15kn]. Next step to the Keppels, and then onto Brampton. Resup if needed at Airlie. Magnetic Is is ~24 from Airlie and Cairns is about 24 hrs from Maggie.

If you have time then you can day or 24 hr trip to a nice protected place and wait for the next break.

Keep us posted.
cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2012

LeeSails is on a distinguished road

Thanks St Anna... we've got 36 days to do the entire trip so, not necessarily ploughing the delivery route But I'm heading up there with a deadline to arrive at and I absolutely hate heading offshore with that in the back of my mind...

Well, with your advice included, I think I'm going to put more into getting to Percy sooner and then relax taking a few days off every now and then for the remainder of the journey I guess

Roger that cyclone mention. Plan to be keeping the closest eye on the weather... going against the traditional cruising current I know!
Old 07-05-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

What sort of boat - pics.

I can tell you about anchorages / where to get fresh water etc - pm me later if you wish.
regards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.