Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
Converting stove from alcohol to LPG

Good morning:

All right . . I've had it!!! This is the last weekend I will every monkey around with my alcohol stove. grrrrr. Yep, I'm pretty familiar with how they work and all. I have the exact same stove model on my power cabin boat and its "ok" there. Please don't try to talk me into keeping the alcohol stove - I am truly done with it.

So, I'd like to convert this over to LPG. I've read up on the various safety things (locker, solenoid, etc.) and understand what needs to be done there.

I'd like to keep the same basic "stove body" in place. It has a great setup with moveable fiddles/pot holders, integrated cover/cutting board. In other words I like that part.

I simply want to replace the burners and control knobs.

I've been looking at various LPG camp stoves and think that it "should" be fairly easy to do the replacement. Just wondering if anyone else has done this approach? what stove did you end up using for "parts"? Any tips or suggestions?

thank you,

~mark b

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2012

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Re: Converting stove from alcohol to LPG

Well I would like to replace the electric stove top on my boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 07-06-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Mark, unless the same company sells a conversion kit, I'm thinking that replacing the burners, running the plumbing, doing everything right, is going to be two months worth of futzing around and not being able to use the stove.

I'd look for a simple replacement and resign myself to making a different counter/cover afterwards if that's what it took. Just making a gas locker and installing the lines properly will take up enough of your time.
Old 07-06-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Two words: KA BOOM!!!!

Do you really want to mess with this? Solenoids and all that are fine, but do you really want a mickey mouse stove? What if you go put water on to boil, then go to use the head for a couple minutes? If that flame goes out, your boat fills with propane. Do you really want to trust your life to a retrofitted stove that wasn't designed to do what you're using it for?

If the mfg makes a retrofit kit that is specifically designed and tested to do this with your exact stove, then fine. Anything sort of that, and I just hope you're not in my marina.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-06-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

this would be a good choice.. thermocouple protected also. it's under $300

Brand: Force 10
Model #: 43234 / 4320

I'm sure there are others.. thermocouple protected

My boat is for sale.

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-06-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.