Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Too hot to sail...

Well they say Diesels need a load to run well.. AC compressor mounted on one would really solve that issue!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2012

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
For summertime, my hatch boards are replaced with a couple doors with removable Lexan windows and screens. The rest of the boat is fairly air-tight, so I guess a quality air-conditioner, one big enough for a van, would do a good job.

I have a generator at home, but it's an 8,000-watt monster that weighs a ton and is very noisy. The boat's engine is a Universal Atomic-4 gasoline that is really quiet, and I can open two back hatches that would vent the entire engine compartment so the engine heat wouldn't be trapped and heat the cabin. I think the installation would, however, be cost prohibitive unless you did it yourself. I would install it if I were 20 years younger, but I'm too old and fat to crawl into the engine compartment.

Cheers,

Gary

Aren't you going to have to go into the engine compartment to attach an auto a/c compressor onto the A4?

I was just thinking..... the engines that power modern day vans are probably 200+ horsepower. Will the 30hp Atomic have enough spare hp to run the compressor? I would think so if that's all it has to do, but just thought I'd raise it up.
Old 07-08-2012

melee401 is on a distinguished road

I've ran these equations many times. Using your auxiliary to power AC for the boat is real doable. You can outfit the engine with junk yard parts (dual pulleys, brackets, compressor and even evaporator and fan) enough that the only thing left is a small wat heat exchanger for the condenser.
Make sure you grab a system that uses R-430 NOT R-12/22. This avoids you needing a "refrigerant recovery permit" and keeps the EPA off your ass.
The thing to remember is that your engine has been used to power land vehicles. There is no such thing as a MARINE ONLY engine of only 12-160 HP. The brackets are there on ebay for the cheap taking and the compressor, evaporator and fan as well. Just find the engine and inquire. If the seller has the auto, boat whatever and is stripping it they will be tickled as hell to find a buyer for those things that would go to the scrap dealer. the only thing there is that the pulleys they may want more for to part with, however whoever is buying the engine for replacement of another will certainly have what they need as per that and thus will never miss them.
Old 07-08-2012

Through hull issues with AC from aux engine.
You should be able to easily T the existing through hull arrangement for an aux engine to a raw water AC condenser. No additional through hull propositioning should be required to cool the condensing unit under anything but full aux power drive conditions.
NOW you have to understand, these equations are for AC under SAIL not AC under your powering your A@@@ off trying to get through a tight spot with current up the Ass.
Everything is relative in this world.
Turn off the AC when your engine is needed for all power operations.
Old 07-08-2012

The raw water pump on your engine will work to provide cooling to the AC condenser just fine. I mean c'mon,,your putting total time on the engine anyway including that rubbery raw water impeller too?
Another thread perhaps we might get into the how a raw water rubber impeller is in fact both a positive displacement pump and another type as well. DO they really ever "burn up" or just quietly go away?
And lets compare them to their "equals" on the market.
Old 07-08-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Gary, I haven't looked into specs but have been told by multiple sources that even a small air conditioning compressor on a compact car eats five horsepower. Your van? Might easily be 10-12.

Which that's nothing for a car or truck engine to spare (we're talking 100-300hp engines that only need 10hp to cruise on the highway) I don't know many recreational sailboats that could spare 10hp to turn a compressor. or even half of that.

Not impossible, if you have the hp and the space in the engine bay. But at that point, it might be simpler to buy a 15hp engine on a frame, and bolt it all up in a lazarette.

This is why the Vikings didn't go raiding in the hot summer months. :-)
Old 07-08-2012
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

Anyway you look at it.....it's too darn hot to sail .
Old 07-08-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I did a little more checking into the power consumption, and 10 HP would be the max with older AC units, while some of the newer ones only suck down about 5 HP when running full blast.

Someone also posted something about the hatch being sealed sufficiently to use AC. Here's some photos of my current hatch setup.

[IMG][/IMG]

When the boat is buttoned up tight and I'm not there, there's a vent in the hatch, and another in the head door. There's a solar powered exhaust fan in the head that draws air through the boat and keeps things odor free.

[IMG][/IMG]

When I'm sailing or at anchor, I have some custom made doors that have Lexan panes with nylon screens behind the panes. The panes are removable and allow lots of air to enter the cabin. When I'm at the dock, with the AC running, the panes are in place, thereby providing light, plus easy access to an air conditioned cabin. The doors are easily removed and store beneath one of the seats in the cabin.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 07-08-2012

mgiguere is on a distinguished road

This is the time of year in the Bay, we haul the boat to get the bottom repainted...in time for Governor's Cup. Took 2nd place a couple years ago in cruising class...beat Navy who came in 2nd and 3rd. (even though they illegaly (I feel) flew the mizzen shute in the middle of the night). Cruising class means no shutes. :>)
Old 07-08-2012
Sail noob

Murph is on a distinguished road

Who'da thunk the South Fla. would be nice & cool compared the the NE this time of year?

Aaaah.....96 degrees with a "feels like" factor of 101.

Sail, water, sail, cold beer, sail, jump in......repeat.

I cordially invite all those baking in the heat up north to come on down to SoFla.....an arctic paradise....comparatively speaking, of course

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.