Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Re: Too hot to sail...

This is the time of year here in Texas when my schedule changes.

For anything outside....it's done from early in the morning, dawn, until around 11:00 am.

From Noon to 8:00 PM I'm inside the house. Period. I don't go outside during these hours unless I have to or am expected somewhere.

Then, back out for an hour or to of sunset daylight, staying out until 2:00 or 3:00 AM.

If I'm out at night, I don't usually do something the next morning. I'll try to get at least 5 hours of sleep, then later on take a super power nap from 4:00 to 7:00. It's tough, but not impossible, and I only do this schedule in July and August....sometimes into mid September and starting as early as mid June...depends on the weather patterns. Last summer was absolutely horrible...from early June until almost October....Summer 2011 was a total bust.

I don't mind the summer heat....actually enjoy it....but this 105-108, every day, no wind, blazing, burning sun.....yeah, screw that man. I'm okay with 95, 96, a good breeze....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2012
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I wish it wasn't so hot. I've been trying to get some work done on my boat to get ready to splash but being in TN, there have been days lately where it's been as high as 110F. Can't wait for it to cool down a bit.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 07-09-2012

melee401 is on a distinguished road

I already detailed this issue of rigging a high volume AC pump to an aux. plant and I am not going to do it again.
Sailnet needs to stop dropping coms.
Old 07-09-2012

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Hot down here in New Orleans too, though not as outlandish as the temps up north.

Still, during a tues evening sail, we went from hot to very cool in a couple of minutes, and the big spike of 50-knot squall wind was just far enough west of us that we got 20 knots, no rain, and 92F became 72F right quickly

The instruments don't lie...

Data Retrieval

After that it was pleasant, except for all the dark clouds and lightning several miles off to the east, which I thought would get us, but didn't, though we got 25 knots from that one, which peaked at 40 off to our east. Here's the graph on squall no. 2, note the windshift(s).

Data Retrieval

We were double-reefed and rolled the jib in or out to suit the (changing) conditions. Ended up under bare poles and lifejackets at the very end.

But between the nearby storms, we saw a nice sunset.

So a little nerve-racking but how else can we beat the heat? ;-)
Yep tell me about it, I sail out of Mandeville. I wanted to cruise out to the gulf islands for a few days this past weekend but rain forecast has been questionable as well.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 07-09-2012

melee401 is on a distinguished road

I have yet to see a barometer that lied. The faster it sinks the better the fun.
Old 07-09-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I wish it wasn't so hot. I've been trying to get some work done on my boat to get ready to splash but being in TN, there have been days lately where it's been as high as 110F. Can't wait for it to cool down a bit.
I hope you get a break....we are....that massive high parked to our northeast (over you) is finally moving off and we're getting disturbances from the east, driven by the bottom of that high....and a cold front is on it's way down....so we have a chance of rain and highs in the low 90's the next few days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 07-09-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Joe Diver...last year was a bear for sure. This summer has been much better. I went down to the boat yesterday morning to tighten the shrouds. Within 15 minutes I was soaking wet and it was only 10am. Temp was only in the mid 80's but humidity was terrible. I drank a quart of Gatoraide and took the cockpit grate out and back to the house. I set up sander and saw horses under my shade tree and sanded for hours. Bottom line...I was soaking wet with sweat from 10am until about 5pm. Who needs hot yoga when you can just do some outdoor chores...
Old 07-09-2012
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
I hope you get a break....we are....that massive high parked to our northeast (over you) is finally moving off and we're getting disturbances from the east, driven by the bottom of that high....and a cold front is on it's way down....so we have a chance of rain and highs in the low 90's the next few days.
Had some rain yesterday and forecast is looking at rain for the rest of the week with cooler temps in the 80s.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 07-09-2012
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road

I took the 4th through the weekend off, and the tail end of my break was spent at home, in the AC, watching movies. Arrived at the boat Tuesday night, leaving friends at our home since they were still waiting for power to be restored after the storms of last weekend. Tues night wasn't too bad, although we did run the AC on the boat to drop the humidity in the cabin. Spent the 4th out with friends on their powerboat - there was a little breeze and humidity didn't seem too bad, but we also did a lot of swiming. Thursday, we had great wind - 10 kts steady with gusts around 20 - but man was it HOT. It reminded me of when I lived in Texas and would look forward to getting off the highway on my motorcycle becuase 100 degrees at 70 mph feels like holding a hairdryer to your face on high. We headded to our favorite swimming hole and cooled off until the sun began to set. Returned to the marina around 8:30 PM and decided to go home. We have AC on the boat, but when it is too hot to sit outside after dark, it is time to leave. Friday and Saturday, never left the house. Sunday, we decided to take a ride down to check on the boat with the unspoken hope that we would go out for a bit - it was already crazy hot at 10 AM, so again went home. Weather has broken today and now we are hoping for some decent weather next weekend. Like others, I'm going to rethink taking time off this time of year.
Old 07-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Dear Friend Gary,

We just sailed down and back up to Ft Myers BEach via Char Harbor. I feel your pain. Let me explain:

I cranked on the diesel generator and the first 16000 btu a/c. WHen I went below, I could only get it to about 65. It was really hot. I almost had to take off my sweat pants. THen, I punched in the auxillary 12000 btu reserve. Finally the penguins were circling the boat.

I was really having a hard time of it until then. Almost thought my Taylor guitar would see a 66 degree temp down below. But alas, we opened the freezer to warm things up.

HEHE! WHen you heading south!???

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: