Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Hurricane Season: What's Your Plan?

Since it's the start of hurricane season, I was curious to know what your "hurricane plan" is. What's your best option - haul out, stay at the dock, go on the hook, or go to a heavy mooring ball?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Hurricane Season: What's Your Plan?

Hope for the best as your not getting hauled here and they have no tie down systems SO if the mast is UP your at even more risk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2012

GCsailor is on a distinguished road

I am fortunate enough to be in a marina with floating docks, and already have eight mooring lines including 2 spring lines; so my plan is:

1. Stay put.

2. Strip off all the canvas. Fold up the bimini frame and carefully tie it down. And chafe protection to the mooring lines

3. If a mild blow is predicted, leave the main sail on and add additional tie downs. Wrap the spare halyard around the jib, and tie the furling system so it can not unfurl.

4. If a moderate or worse blow is predicted, strip off the main sail and the jib.

Undecided about what to do with the power cord, so input would be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

BoatUS seems to think hauling out is the safest option. Many insurance companies will even help you pay for the haulout. In the past, I've stayed at the dock. Been lucky so far with only minor damage once along a toerail from rubbing on a piling. If I have time, I plan to haulout.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 07-06-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I'm on an oversized mooring with a 500 lbs mushroom that is well set below the bottom. It would be between staying on the mooring our hauling out. In my minds eye ... a 17,000 lbs boat on stilts doesn't seem very hurricane proof... but there are those who know more than I do for sure.
Old 07-06-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Can't quote any facts/figures from memory on this one, but I do recall reading several stories put out by marine insurance companies regarding this issue. Yes, there is the chance the a boat on the hard may fall over, but that risk is low compared to risks associated with being on the water. Rising water levels are going to put a heck of a strain on dock lines. During that strorm a few years ago in Houston, some floating docks floated right off thier pilings. During Isabelle, several docks at Herrington Harbor North Marina were torn off thier pilings and went out into the bay, with boats still attached. The winds will tend to bash the boat into the dock as well. The mooring is probably better than the dock or the anchor (unless you can hurricane hole up with multiple lines tied to shore), but you still have to consider the storm surge and allow for a substantial increase in water depth.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 07-06-2012

marcusc130 is on a distinguished road
Hurricane Season: What's Your Plan?

In all the hurricanes I've seen here in new England, I've never seen a boat that is properly blocked and chained blow off it's stands. The only one I've seen fall over was in someone's back yard. The rain made the ground so soft that the stands pushed in far enough for it to topple over. If the stands are on pads, and chained together, it would take a hell of a blow to knock over a boat. I vote for a haul out if it's going to be a direct hit.
Old 07-06-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Anything less than a Category 3, I will be stripping sails & canvas, sealing up ports, and moving the boat to the center of the canal and then spaghetti lining it on both sides with lots of lines.

Cat3 or higher...she gets hauled up in Palm Beach County.
Old 07-06-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Anything less than a Category 3, I will be stripping sails & canvas, sealing up ports, and moving the boat to the center of the canal and then spaghetti lining it on both sides with lots of lines.

Cat3 or higher...she gets hauled up in Palm Beach County.
That's pretty much my approach, as well... In the event of a Cat 3 (pretty unlikely up here in NJ), I'd probably head way up the Hudson River, to one of a few spots I've scoped out over the years...

I was thinking of doing that last fall, if Irene had made landfall in NC still as a Cat 3... That didn't happen, and even though she came right over the top of me, it was no big deal at all... Good thing I stayed put, turned out the upper reaches of the Hudson post-Irene would have been a bad place to be... Winter northeasters still pose the greatest threat around here, IMO..

One thing I've always got to allow for, is leaving enough time to help all my neighbors secure their stinkpots, especially the Tony Soprano Water Toy Storage Facility across the way... As a sailor, I'm pretty much regarded in my neighborhood as the only guy who knows how to tie knots, run springlines, hang fenders, etc... (grin)

Old 07-06-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

am in a marina in la druz de huanacaxtle,nayarit, mexico watching 2 --one already named storm and one to grow into one----coming past and out to sea..... we will all of us here, decide what to do as we see fit. sierra madres break stuff up for us--our only bad time would be if something comes in from west....cabo corrientes helps deflect the bad ones--we see what happens....
last year i was in marina mazatlan, in mazatlan.

off season, as it is now, is when i repair boat and ready for winter sailing,and marina fees drop to decent and affordable numbers so i can do it--

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Last edited by zeehag; 07-06-2012 at 08:24 PM.