SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sea Legs on Land...

2K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  jsnaulty 
#1 ·
OK kind of an odd question, but something I'm noticing again after a sailing weekend...

Spent last three days on the boat... Little lumpy the first day, somewhat smooth (other than boat wakes) the last two days....

And now that I'm home and sitting at the computer I'm kind of "rocking" back and forth, kind of a wave action in my chair...I noticed it last time I was back from a three day trip, and it went away in a day or so...

I haven't gotten sick on the boat and I'm not ill now...

So...just wondering if this is normal..? Or I should go see a doctor for an inner ear equilibrium problem...?

#5 ·
#8 ·
I've noticed it more in small areas - like showers or bathrooms. I don't spin, but the room does. We've lived on board for 15 years and it doesn't happen as often as it used to, but it still happens, and it's normal. Blame it on the rum.

#9 ·
Tiny nerve hairs in the cochlea (inner ear) are overly excited by the movement of boating.They'll get over it. Meanwhile enjoy the feeling. Some people do drugs or rum for the same effect.Meanwhile ,eyes wide, to give the brain a 'level' signal. Same as avoiding sea sickness by looking at far away.

#12 ·
That is what I call 'sea legs'.
Your brain gets used to the rocking motion and once you get back on solid ground the brain still thinks it should be undulating as it was on the water.
I find that I may walk a little funny for a few hours and miss the sensation once I have acclimated.

#14 ·
Normal. Like others have mentioned, I like the sensation and miss it when it goes away.

I've woken up at night at home after a trip, look out my bedroom window at my neighbors walkway lights and think I'm still at anchor..looking at shore lights.

Once I jumped up in the night to go check the anchor...
and another time, I opened my eyes and thought the ceiling of my room was the floor...

I swear I wasn't drinking!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.