Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchors Away...

If you don't have a copy, I'd highly recommend Chapman's "Piloting and Seamanship". While I don't see many people referring to it nowadays, when I was growing up it was the bible (and a lot more fun to read). Over my lifetime I've read it many times and still glean useful stuff from it. The chapter on anchoring is a good reference.
With a chain/rope rode my minimum scope is 5:1. In 15-20 knots I'd prefer 7:1 or more. As long as you're not in a crowded anchorage where you have to watch your swing radius, the only downside to more scope is the work in retrieval, which is a lot less than the work in scrambling to reset an anchor in the dark in a storm.
Old 07-11-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Anchoring: Minimum scope is 7:1 for overnight anchoring when using chain/rope rode. This is the ASA standard and believe (will have to check) both "Chapman's" and "Annapolis" use the same ratio. That is seven to one from the stem to the bottom, not seven times the water depth. I generally use 8:1 and if there is plenty of room in the anchorage, I just put all 200' of rode I have out.

We back down on the engine to set the anchor and to test the holding. If I am in slow reverse but not moving, then the anchor is set. We take azimuths to three objects ashore. You have to pick obejcts that will be visable at night, though. For example, water towers are good because they usually have lights on them. Trees are bad - can't see them in the dark. If you suspect you are dragging in the night, shoot an azimuth to these three objects again and if two of them have changed significantly, then you are dragging. Sometimes I will use my chartplotter's track function. I zoom in on the boat's location and with "tracking" on. Over time, the chartplotter will draw a nice circle around the anchor. If the track is showing the boat moving outside the swinging circle, then we are dragging. If you do find yourself dragging, the first thing do (if you have room) is to let out more scope.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2012

saillife is on a distinguished road

For depth markers on my three strand rope rode I use wire ties looped through one strand. black every 25 feet with a white one at 100 feet. Very cheap but effective.
msmith10 likes this.
Old 07-11-2012

tjvanginkel is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the start of great fun and adventures!
Everyone has different equipment so develops different ways of approaching the same issue. We have a handheld GPS, so when the anchor goes overboard we hit the MOB button to mark the spot. (The GPS has a proximity alarm system somewhere but its not easy to use and as others have mentioned too much scrolling through menus. The MOB button is easy) We keep the GPS in the Vberth at night and then if things feel like they are changing we can turn it on and check our position relative to the MOB waypoint.
There is no substitute for an eyes on check but sometimes you just need that little bit of reassurance without getting out of bed!
Have fun!
Tanya
Old 07-12-2012
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough

We've anchored hundreds and hundreds of times and have learned through trial and error and by talking to others who have had more experience. Out take on it is HERE.

Hope this helps. It really works for us. And if you're new to boating, take a look around the rest of the site. We've learned a lot over the many years we've been cruising, and feel, because of the 'pay it forward' mentality of most cruisers, that we should share what we've learned.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.