Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south side - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Once you sail past toys are us THATS IT till Montalk and it gets freaking cold at night even in July and August on the south shore ocean

remember its daytime in July and theres gonna be more ships and fishing trawlers than you can count all the way out

In the absolutely best case scenario its 24 hours on a 35' boat from the Verrazano bridge to around Montalk and anyplace you can stop IF you make the current around Montalk

With a bad wind direction we had VMG to Montalk (speed made good) as low as 2 knots

REALLY on a 25' IF you get perfect conditions ? theres just so many more safe places on the LI sound for a small boat to make the trip and have a great time

The longest i have tillered my J24 is 36 Miles in about 6.5 hours on the sound and i was beat to crap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 07-10-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
I think the September timing is good because the water will be pretty warm. I have a wetsuit would bringing that along in a ditch bag be a good idea? Although it would be a #itch to get into in the water...
As a former dive instructor, getting into a wetsuit in the water is not going to happen. You either have it on already, or you don't have one. A dry survival suit is what you really want if you won't have a raft. You can rent a raft. Still, you have much more to consider.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-10-2012

Blissopia is on a distinguished road
Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south side

Tempest made a good suggestion. One that my wife and I did recently. We have exactly the same plan as you. To start gaining passage making experience. This was to be our first overnight trip. Our goal was to sail from Staten island to Martha's Vineyard. For the outbound trip we stopped in Block Island to recover and evaluate our experience. We did 3 hour watches overnight. It took 23 hours and we were about 3 miles from shore. For the return trip we sailed straight from Martha's Vineyard to Staten Island doing 4 hour watches overnight and 2 hour shifts in the day. This took 32 hours and we were about 6 miles from shore.
The experienced sailors have already given you (and I) a lot of good advice. I would like to add Fish Pots. The closer you get to Block Island the more there are. Even 5 miles out. Some of the floats are 9ft tall with big black flags so you can't see them at night until you pass them with 8" to spare. ( scared the hell out of me).
Also don't underestimate how tired and disoriented you get at 3am. It was very tough to keep alert.
My moto for our trip was "if in doubt pick the safest option". As our experience grows so will our adventuring.

Dylan
downeast450 and Networker like this.
Old 07-10-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Peter, when you say you want to do the south passage..do you mean the Muskeget channel ( MC buoy) between MV and Nantucket ? If so, my initial reaction would be to encourage you to take a smaller bite your 1st time offshore. Given what you've told us about your crew, and experience. These are challenging waters even for the most experienced sailors.
Currents run strong in that passage and the seas can pile up as the depths are alarmingly shallow, going from 100 ft to 7 ft in spots. If you get any fog with no radar it could get ugly fast. I've never taken it. Call me Chicken if you want, But, have looked at it on the charts and would only attempt it for the 1st time in only the most benign conditions with Radar and an experienced crew. Once you're there, your only option if conditions are unfavorable is to backtrack around MV for another 50 miles. Or even more daunting around the east end and further out to sea

I would suggest cutting your teeth on a coastal cruise to block I. about 25 hours and within VHF range. Once on Block you can take the jump over to Martha's Vinyard and on to Nantucket through the sounds.
Peter, listen to Tempest, he has it exactly right...

The Muskeget Channel is a great way to go, but only if everything is in your favor... However, I would definitely NOT recommend it for someone with your level of experience, especially as the channel over towards Nantucket past Muskeget and Tuckernuck Islands can differ considerably from the charts, I'd suggest only running that in good light in the afternoon... And, as someone else mentions, Eldridge or the current diagrams for Vineyard & Nantucket sounds are a must for these waters...

Nantucket is a wonderful destination, especially after Labor Day. If you have the time, and want to get off the beaten track, try heading up to the Head of the Harbor - virtually guaranteed you'll have it to yourself... Then, reward yourself with a breakfast or lunch at the Wauwinet, but don't even think about a dinner there (grin)...

Then, if you really want to try someplace very few boats venture, you might head for Tuckernuck Pond... Pretty tricky getting in there, however - you might want to save that one for your NEXT trip to Nantucket... (grin)
Old 07-11-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Plan on an 8 day trip

3 of sailing

5 of waiting for weather-sea state-repairs

Last edited by WDS123; 07-11-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice, and keep it coming!

Sounds like most of u recommend stopping at block for my first time, and for some very good reasons. I think I'm gonna go that route, at least out. When I get to block I can evaluate the experience and move forward from there I guess.
Old 07-11-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

I think what was said was go out ON a 50 mile daysail and see IF you have 50 more in you

Because its 24 hours on boat that can do 7 knots were as you will be closer to 4 knots

I talked to some guys that left out of Northport a while back to go west and down the east river on a 22' boat which went fine BUT

If we leave at 5 am on a low tide so the current is right for hell gate we get to Far Rockaway in plenty of time for a 3 PM ALIR start about 9 hours

It took the 22' guys 48 hours because they could NOT cover enough ground to make the currents and they had to wait out a bunch of current cycles

If we get to Montalk and its light wind and we miss the current we have had to Anchor and wait it OUT becasue you start going backwards

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-11-2012

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

The most difficult task will be steering. Keeping watch and maintaining a compass course for hours on end is not something I look forward to, especially at night. Think seriously about getting the tiller pilot and beefing up the battery bank for that, it will make a huge difference, trust me.

Nevertheless, best of luck and enjoy - it will be memorable.
Old 07-11-2012

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Not sure why you would go outside on a boat of that size. Not to be a nervous Nellie, but I would go through the Long Island Sound, stay close to the RI coast and then go through Vineyard Sound. That way you are always close to some port, should something go wrong. If you get a perfect weather window, maybe, but that is not a very large boat and you will not exactly be averaging 6 knots..
Old 07-11-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
Not sure why you would go outside on a boat of that size. Not to be a nervous Nellie, but I would go through the Long Island Sound, stay close to the RI coast and then go through Vineyard Sound. That way you are always close to some port, should something go wrong. If you get a perfect weather window, maybe, but that is not a very large boat and you will not exactly be averaging 6 knots..
My thoughts exactly. You can still try the round-the-clock passage, but you have a harbor nearby if things go bad or the weather turns. Can't imagine day after day banging into heavy weather in a boat that small with only two to share watches.