Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south side - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 47 Old 07-13-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club
 
smurphny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Posts: 3,569
Thanks: 89
Thanked 107 Times in 104 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

LIS is probably safer and your objective is to get out in the ocean, but there is a long stretch past Mattituck where there are few options should the weather turn bad. Just saying, don't discount the difficulty or planning required in the Sound or how rough it can get. You also need to run with the current in the Sound all the way and then time it just right to clear either Plum or The Race. If going this way, consider maybe anchoring at Fisher's Island and then continuing through Fisher's Sound and on along the coast, stopping at Newport. You could then choose to go to Block, continue coasting to New Bedford and then to Woods Hole. Hopping along the mainland like that would be interesting and would keep you more inshore. You could make Port Jeff on day 1, Fishers Day 2, Newport Day 3, New Bedford Day 4, Hadley Harbor (Woods) Day 5, Nantucket Day 6.
downeast450 likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-13-2012 at 08:32 AM.
smurphny is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 47 Old 07-13-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liberty Landing
Posts: 668
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
LIS is probably safer and your objective is to get out in the ocean, but there is a long stretch past Mattituck where there are few options should the weather turn bad. Just saying, don't discount the difficulty or planning required in the Sound or how rough it can get. You also need to run with the current in the Sound all the way and then time it just right to clear either Plum or The Race. If going this way, consider maybe anchoring at Fisher's Island and then continuing through Fisher's Sound and on along the coast, stopping at Newport. You could then choose to go to Block, continue coasting to New Bedford and then to Woods Hole. Hopping along the mainland like that would be interesting and would keep you more inshore. You could make Port Jeff on day 1, Fishers Day 2, Newport Day 3, New Bedford Day 4, Hadley Harbor (Woods) Day 5, Nantucket Day 6.
haha sorry but that is exactly what I am NOT trying to do. Remember, the whole point is to get some offshore experience. The lack of very close harbors if something goes wrong is a part of that. I will bring my tools/sail repair kit and be careful about the weather, but the whole point of this exercise is to get some experience away from shore/harbors.

My main concern, frankly, is hitting something and holing the hull miles from shore, esp since I have no liferaft. Are there any recommendations for what to carry in such a contingency? I have seen the yachtworld videos about putting a sail over the outside of the hull (harder than it sounds apparently), and about trying to stem the flooding from the inside as well, but is there anything I can carry with me to temporarily plug a hole if it were to happen?
peterchech is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #23 of 47 Old 07-13-2012
Senior Member
 
jsaronson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 997
Thanks: 5
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Pretty hard to hole a hull at 5-6 knots! Stay away from angry swordfish!
You should have plugs at each thru-hull already. Rescue tape for leaking hoses. If you are out of VHF range, and SSB. An EPIRB. Manual bilge pumps.
jsaronson is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #24 of 47 Old 07-13-2012
Senior Member
 
CBinRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 919
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
haha sorry but that is exactly what I am NOT trying to do. Remember, the whole point is to get some offshore experience. The lack of very close harbors if something goes wrong is a part of that. I will bring my tools/sail repair kit and be careful about the weather, but the whole point of this exercise is to get some experience away from shore/harbors.

My main concern, frankly, is hitting something and holing the hull miles from shore, esp since I have no liferaft. Are there any recommendations for what to carry in such a contingency? I have seen the yachtworld videos about putting a sail over the outside of the hull (harder than it sounds apparently), and about trying to stem the flooding from the inside as well, but is there anything I can carry with me to temporarily plug a hole if it were to happen?
Offshore experience on a 25 foot boat? Your call but not sure I get it.
CBinRI is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #25 of 47 Old 07-13-2012
Senior Member
 
tommays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,296
Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

I do not see the boat as the issue as plenty of 24' or less have made the trip around the world


The problem its a 120 miles from Ambrose Light to the next place and unless i misunderstand you have never even gone out for one overnight sail ?

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY


If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tommays is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #26 of 47 Old 07-13-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club
 
smurphny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Adirondacks NY
Posts: 3,569
Thanks: 89
Thanked 107 Times in 104 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
haha sorry but that is exactly what I am NOT trying to do. Remember, the whole point is to get some offshore experience. The lack of very close harbors if something goes wrong is a part of that. I will bring my tools/sail repair kit and be careful about the weather, but the whole point of this exercise is to get some experience away from shore/harbors.

My main concern, frankly, is hitting something and holing the hull miles from shore, esp since I have no liferaft. Are there any recommendations for what to carry in such a contingency? I have seen the yachtworld videos about putting a sail over the outside of the hull (harder than it sounds apparently), and about trying to stem the flooding from the inside as well, but is there anything I can carry with me to temporarily plug a hole if it were to happen?
Going outside is no big deal, as I mentioned before. As far as hitting something hard enough to do damage, the chances are really pretty low but you should, of course, have plugs to fit all your thru-hulls, attached so as to be available immediately as well as some big tapered plugs (I made some up to 4" on the big end). As far as fixing a large hole, it's really a punting situation, depending on if you can get to it/how big/how many pumps you have, etc. There's an old way of getting to one from the outside with a tarp that has lines long enough so as to be able to possibly get it under the boat and over the bad section. Seems like it might work. You should have 2 manual pumps, one in the cockpit and another accessible from below in the cabin in addition to electric bilge pump(s). One thing to check before setting out that there is nothing to obstruct the pumps that might get down there when the boat is tossing around. Stuff like paper can completely plug pumps.

Remember that in the afternoon, the onshore breeze can really kick up, sometimes 25 knots and better if the temp differential is big enough. So stay far enough out so as not to be driven up on the beach. Getting too close to LI can also put you in the lee of the island if there's a nice NW wind. I would stay at least 5 miles out with your boat. Maybe somewhere 5-10 miles out. Just leave Ambrose at an angle offshore and then parallel LI. It seems like the prevailing afternoon SW tends to run more SSW along the shore of LI, tending to set you on a reach rather than a run. Much more fun.
downeast450 and peterchech like this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
smurphny is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #27 of 47 Old 07-13-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liberty Landing
Posts: 668
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
Offshore experience on a 25 foot boat? Your call but not sure I get it.
consider it my minitransat training

peterchech is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #28 of 47 Old 07-13-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liberty Landing
Posts: 668
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Remember that in the afternoon, the onshore breeze can really kick up, sometimes 25 knots and better if the temp differential is big enough. So stay far enough out so as not to be driven up on the beach. Getting too close to LI can also put you in the lee of the island if there's a nice NW wind. I would stay at least 5 miles out with your boat. Maybe somewhere 5-10 miles out. Just leave Ambrose at an angle offshore and then parallel LI. It seems like the prevailing afternoon SW tends to run more SSW along the shore of LI, tending to set you on a reach rather than a run. Much more fun.

Thanks good info on the prevailing winds!
peterchech is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #29 of 47 Old 07-13-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Liberty Landing
Posts: 668
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
The problem its a 120 miles from Ambrose Light to the next place and unless i misunderstand you have never even gone out for one overnight sail ?
haha where to anyways? Nearest place that's an overnight sail away is Block Island last time I checked. AC could be done overnight I guess, but it's just as bad as south LI as far as harbors go...

Done plenty of 8-12 hour day sails. Maybe I should do one of those overnight, start out at 11pm and head to Sandy Hook and back taking shifts just as a practice run... but not sure what will be learned that won't be learned on the way to Block anyway...
peterchech is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #30 of 47 Old 07-13-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,245
Thanks: 46
Thanked 241 Times in 225 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Have good ground tackle for when you get to Block. You will all but certainly anchor this time of year. Or did you say you were going later. Forgot.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 Marines seeking passage to South America isaacpiche Crew Wanted/Available 11 12-29-2011 10:07 AM
Looking for crew position on transpacific passage or to cruising in south pacific sophiesailor Crew Wanted/Available 1 05-12-2009 11:47 PM
First blue water passage south tahoedave Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 21 12-22-2006 03:58 PM
Working Nantucket: Surfing ? passion and vocation (Nantucket Inquirer and Mirror) NewsReader News Feeds 0 06-23-2006 10:15 AM
Crewing out of South Side of Lake Erie/Michigan.. 808state Crew Wanted/Available 2 01-08-2003 12:30 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome