Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south side - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Have good ground tackle for when you get to Block. You will all but certainly anchor this time of year. Or did you say you were going later. Forgot.
Doing this trip in early September, would anchor anyway. Got an 18# bruce with 25' of chain and a 12# danforth with 6' of chain. Sandy bottom at Block no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

Peterchech,
In 1986 I crewed on a Saber 38 from Anapolis to New York harbor for the relighting of the Statue of Liberty. We left NY harbor mid afternoon and sailed over night to Mauntauk where we waited until dawn to enter and did a crew change. Then we sailed past Block Island to Newport. Overnighted there and then to Martha's Vinyard.
The sail along Long Island was wonderful, we were broad reaching at 10kts +/-, the wave action was smooth and comfortable. The lights were amazing and made it very easy to keep track of where you were (before gps).
The biggest worry we had was sighting the fishnets out of Newport before getting into them and having enough room to manuever. I remember spending hours at the bow with binoculars looking for rather difficult to see poles stuck in the bottom and the thin line of floats.
As to hull punctures, I have read somewhere that nerf balls are particularly good for plugging odd shaped holes. They are cheap and come in a variety of sizes. But (knock on wood) I have no experience with hull punctures.
Have a good trip.
Old 07-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Doing this trip in early September, would anchor anyway. Got an 18# bruce with 25' of chain and a 12# danforth with 6' of chain. Sandy bottom at Block no?
Generally yes, some weeds. September is usually much quieter and I think the mooring rental goes down to $20 after labor day. First come first serve. Anchoring can be 20 to 30 feet deep, so have enough scope. However, you will have plenty of room in Sept to find a great spot.

The other thing to think about in September are the seas. In my experience, its the absolutely best month to sail in RI. Good wind, clear crisp weather. Love it. However, it seems seas can be higher than the height of the summer, presumably as a result of the sustained higher wind.

As for holing the boat, you want a TruPlug and/or nerf ball. More than one. We all have dowels, but few have a hammer handy and holing your boat won't always be a nice pretty round hole. It would be good to stop a leak, but you really only need to slow it down enough that the bilge pump can keep up, while you get to safety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-13-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Quote:
haha where to anyways? Nearest place that's an overnight sail away is Block Island last time I checked. AC could be done overnight I guess, but it's just as bad as south LI as far as harbors go...

Done plenty of 8-12 hour day sails. Maybe I should do one of those overnight, start out at 11pm and head to Sandy Hook and back taking shifts just as a practice run... but not sure what will be learned that won't be learned on the way to Block anyway...

Sailing at night is NOTHING like sailing in the daytime

Just learning how to KEEP orientated with the navigation lights of other boats and NOT sail into land because you think the light you see is a navigation aid takes a good bit of time to learn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Sailing at night is NOTHING like sailing in the daytime

Just learning how to KEEP orientated with the navigation lights of other boats and NOT sail into land because you think the light you see is a navigation aid takes a good bit of time to learn
Oh I see. I had thought that you meant overnight sailing experience.

Me and my crew sail at night all the time, esp early and late season when I don't get on the water till after work and it's already nearing sundown. I have never sailed straight through overnight however, nor had to take watches.

I actually prefer night sailing for the most part. Very relaxing and far fewer power boats/ferries out there (I sail in the NYC area so these are a PITA). I guess the glow of the NYC metro area has meant that even on cloudy days there is always enough light to see the sails/sheets/water pretty clearly, which may not be true on this upcoming trip...
Old 07-13-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Oh I see. I had thought that you meant overnight sailing experience.

Me and my crew sail at night all the time, esp early and late season when I don't get on the water till after work and it's already nearing sundown. I have never sailed straight through overnight however, nor had to take watches.

I actually prefer night sailing for the most part. Very relaxing and far fewer power boats/ferries out there (I sail in the NYC area so these are a PITA). I guess the glow of the NYC metro area has meant that even on cloudy days there is always enough light to see the sails/sheets/water pretty clearly, which may not be true on this upcoming trip...

Good because it takes time to understand what all the navigation lights moving around are doing

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-13-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Peter, don’t misunderstand what the old salts are trying to tell you, they just want you to have a positive experience. I know that you are thinking, “we all got to start sometime”. It’s just that those mini drivers most likely started off in a juniors program, were doing offshore crewing by high school and were stars of their college teams. You got to be pretty good before sponsors are willing to fork over a couple hundred grand. They had tons of experience before they stepped off the curb. Remember both you and your crew will be single handing half the time and both of you need to be competent in doing things like headsail changes and reefing, alone, and in the dark. Put your summer to good use.

We had a mini translant boat in our marina while it was being prepped for the SHTP. Really cool and very high tech boat. The racer was also the owner of a company that builds them. Bare, it is over $30k and in race condition about $60k. Again, a very cool and fast boat.

For those of us on the west coast, can you fill us in a little on your local geography and your “program”? I sense that you keep your boat on the Atlantic side of Long Island? I know from your previous postings you may be relatively new to the boat and perhaps sailing. Perhaps a little bio and description of your program will calm down the old salts. I, for one am a member of the Single Handed Sailing Society and also have done plenty of ocean racing as part of a double hand team. Feel free to query me at any time.
downeast450 likes this.
Old 07-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Peter, don’t misunderstand what the old salts are trying to tell you, they just want you to have a positive experience. I know that you are thinking, “we all got to start sometime”. It’s just that those mini drivers most likely started off in a juniors program, were doing offshore crewing by high school and were stars of their college teams. You got to be pretty good before sponsors are willing to fork over a couple hundred grand. They had tons of experience before they stepped off the curb. Remember both you and your crew will be single handing half the time and both of you need to be competent in doing things like headsail changes and reefing, alone, and in the dark. Put your summer to good use.

We had a mini translant boat in our marina while it was being prepped for the SHTP. Really cool and very high tech boat. The racer was also the owner of a company that builds them. Bare, it is over $30k and in race condition about $60k. Again, a very cool and fast boat.

For those of us on the west coast, can you fill us in a little on your local geography and your “program”? I sense that you keep your boat on the Atlantic side of Long Island? I know from your previous postings you may be relatively new to the boat and perhaps sailing. Perhaps a little bio and description of your program will calm down the old salts. I, for one am a member of the Single Handed Sailing Society and also have done plenty of ocean racing as part of a double hand team. Feel free to query me at any time.
Hi George! First off thanks to mr. Evans of the single handed sailing society for his wonderful e book!

I don't seriously plan on doing a mini transat any time soon (I have a "real" career and its attendant student debt that keeps me plugging away) although I fantasize about it almost daily.

I am based out of liberty landing marina in jersey city, nj. In 3-4 hours of motoring (with the tide) I can be in long island sound, or in 1.5 hours of sailing (with the tide) I can be on the Atlantic side of Li.

Only 3 seasons of real sailing, about 1 on my keelboat, but I have been crew on a phrf boat all 2012 every week plus the regattas. I have built several dinghies and kayaks, ans refurbished my own boat, so I know a thing or two on the technical side though I am modest about my abilities.

Program? Well, I'm trying to start one with this trip and any suggestions are welcome!
Old 07-14-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter,

I completely support your goal of venturing beyond your home waters and taking on this ocean voyage. I think George sums it up nicely when he says that we all want you to have a positive experience on this 1st trip round. With the right weather window I think the coastal cruise to Block Is. and a "let's see how it goes from there" approach should work perfectly for you. I think it would be nice if you had someone who has done the trip before aboard, but if that can't happen, As captain, you'll just have to rely on your best judgement.

You can stay anywhere from 2 to 5 miles off the coast and follow the bouys. Keeping the coastline to port and the main shipping channel to starboard. At night you'l likely run into some commercial fishing vessels. They'll be lit up like the 4th of July and sometimes it's difficult to tell what they're doing. ( moving in big circle, changing direction) Just give them lots of room.
You should be able to fix your position by the inlet bouys..Jones, Moriches, Fire Island, Shinnecock etc.

Timing your arrival at your destination in broad daylight should be a goal. It's unlikely that either of you will sleep soundly with the adrenalin going, so I'd have coffee ready in a thermos and plenty of ready to eat food..( sandwiches and such) ready to go.
I keep a thermos for coffee and one for soup ( on cool nights).
I good pair of binnoculars ready at the helm.

The entrance to Block is narrow, but very well marked and you'll see sandbars, if you enter in daylight with no fog.

Coming home on the inside, you just need to time the currents at the Race and again at Hell Gate....so that you are heading east with them or at slack. It can get a little choppy through the race, and the gate, just keep a firm hand and hold your course.

Have a great trip..I look forward to the report.
Old 07-14-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

With your shallow draft, you can anchor at Block in places where lots of other boats cannot. On the back side of New Harbor, the SE corner, it gets shallow and smaller boats can usually get in there and find a nice spot. It will be much closer to the dink beach next to Champlin's than out farther. There is a launch service you can call on the VHF as well. I forget which channel. The holding is VERY good in every place I've ever anchored. Have sat out 60 knot winds there. One of my favorite places to sail is between Block and Newport.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.