Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south side - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 Old 07-14-2012

Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

As for night sailing, the difference between a full moon on a cloudless night and no moon on an overcast night is, well, night and day. This can be timed well and you don't need a totally full moon, as much as the clear sky.
RobGallagher likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 Old 07-14-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

+1 on the above good advice about night sailing. It can be vertigo time on a pitch black night with a ground fog. You can run right up on a beach in a place you know like the back of your hand and never know it (don't ask how I know:-) Depth perception and moving lights are extremely difficult to decipher. Make sure you know your light patterns if at all thinking about night running. You want to know when a tug, towing a barge is approaching!

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #43 of 47 Old 11-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Seriously, you will be crossing the submarine channel into CT, and the short version of that is that if you see ANY smoke or buoy come up out of the water--bugout and make noise, there's something very big coming up under you. Volume I of the LNM can give you more specific details but "stuff comes up, bugout!" is the abridged version.
In all seriousness, as a novice sailor that will be sailing these waters next year, how often do subs sink sailboats? If they do, do they offer assistance? I can't imagine this is even remotely probable, even trolling the sub channel in CT all summer for a decade. I get that's its a possibility, but how realistic?

Steve
post #44 of 47 Old 11-17-2013
Reward for lost Kraken!

Well Steve, the odds are probably on the same order as winning the Powerball lottery solo, or getting hit by lightning twice. Still, some folks manage to do it, and the USCG, perhaps indulging some USN fantasy, perhaps simply being prudent, bother to warn about it in the LNTM annual issue.

What are the odds of hitting a WW2 "horn" mine after all these years?

But one washed ashore in NJ after TS Sandy last year.

And last week, an explosive ordnance disposal team blew themselves up on a military range, routinely clearing "dud" 40mm grenades. All highly qualified experienced soldiers.

Remember the boat off Hawaii that had her nets snagged by a USN sub, was pulled under and sunk? With lots of accusations and lawsuits following? I think that was what, six years ago?

What are the odds? Dunno. If I see smoke on the water, I'll either turn up the music or hang a 180 and bugout real fast.
post #45 of 47 Old 11-17-2013
Tartan 27' owner

deep Purple reference, ohh!

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 47 Old 11-18-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

I once had a nuclear sub surface about 500 yards away about 10 miles outside of New London. It was like a scene from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with a bubbling sea monster coming out of the water. I don't know if he even knew I was there but I doubt it. Scary.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #47 of 47 Old 11-18-2013

Did the OP ever make the trip and report on his experience...???

1988 C22 Owner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.