Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south side - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

As for night sailing, the difference between a full moon on a cloudless night and no moon on an overcast night is, well, night and day. This can be timed well and you don't need a totally full moon, as much as the clear sky.
RobGallagher likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Preparations for a Manhattan to Nantucket straight through passage on the south s

+1 on the above good advice about night sailing. It can be vertigo time on a pitch black night with a ground fog. You can run right up on a beach in a place you know like the back of your hand and never know it (don't ask how I know:-) Depth perception and moving lights are extremely difficult to decipher. Make sure you know your light patterns if at all thinking about night running. You want to know when a tug, towing a barge is approaching!
Old 11-17-2013

Networker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Seriously, you will be crossing the submarine channel into CT, and the short version of that is that if you see ANY smoke or buoy come up out of the water--bugout and make noise, there's something very big coming up under you. Volume I of the LNM can give you more specific details but "stuff comes up, bugout!" is the abridged version.
In all seriousness, as a novice sailor that will be sailing these waters next year, how often do subs sink sailboats? If they do, do they offer assistance? I can't imagine this is even remotely probable, even trolling the sub channel in CT all summer for a decade. I get that's its a possibility, but how realistic?

Steve
Old 11-17-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Well Steve, the odds are probably on the same order as winning the Powerball lottery solo, or getting hit by lightning twice. Still, some folks manage to do it, and the USCG, perhaps indulging some USN fantasy, perhaps simply being prudent, bother to warn about it in the LNTM annual issue.

What are the odds of hitting a WW2 "horn" mine after all these years?

But one washed ashore in NJ after TS Sandy last year.

And last week, an explosive ordnance disposal team blew themselves up on a military range, routinely clearing "dud" 40mm grenades. All highly qualified experienced soldiers.

Remember the boat off Hawaii that had her nets snagged by a USN sub, was pulled under and sunk? With lots of accusations and lawsuits following? I think that was what, six years ago?

What are the odds? Dunno. If I see smoke on the water, I'll either turn up the music or hang a 180 and bugout real fast.
Old 11-17-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

deep Purple reference, ohh!

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I once had a nuclear sub surface about 500 yards away about 10 miles outside of New London. It was like a scene from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with a bubbling sea monster coming out of the water. I don't know if he even knew I was there but I doubt it. Scary.
Old 11-18-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Did the OP ever make the trip and report on his experience...???