SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   My dream has always been to live on a sailboat. Tips please (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/89591-my-dream-has-always-been-live-sailboat-tips-please.html)

jaman5 07-11-2012 06:59 PM

My dream has always been to live on a sailboat. Tips please

I have always had a dream of living on a sailboat at some point in my life and looking into it very seriously now that i have recently turned 21. I started competing as a swimmer when i was 3 1/2 years old and ever since then my comfort place has always been by or in the water. Also these past two summers i have been working towards my dive-master certs and absolutely love it. I am very savvy when it comes to boats having been raised on the lake, but have no experience in sailing or sailboats; except a sailing trip to Catalina island when i was about 15.

I'm looking at boats anywhere from 25 to 30 feet, but i am kind of on a tight budget so i am planning on one that will need some elbow grease and love put into her. I actually prefer this too though because it will have that much more meaning to my dream.

I am looking for some suggestions and help with what to really look at when buying a used boat, and also what brands would best be suited for what I am looking for. To start i would be learning to sail, studying, and practicing, but once i am to this point i would mainly be using the boat in a lake but would want one that i will be able to take out in the ocean to travel in someday.

I appreciate any help and advise.
Thank you!
Jared

Brent Swain 07-11-2012 07:12 PM

Re: My dream has always been to live on a sailboat. Tips please

If you are living aboard in cold lattitudes, lots of insulation and a good wood stove, are vital.. Those who try it and give up , usually have made a major screwup on one if these items.

chuck53 07-11-2012 07:50 PM

OK, how about a little more info. First of all, where are you? You mention a lake and then want to take it on the ocean. There are some 25 footers that are trailerable, but 30', not so much. The cost of transporting a 30 footer ain't cheap.
Big question....what kind of budget are you looking at? Not just to buy, but to repair, replace, fix, upgrade and the day to day cost of boat ownership.
What kind of creature comforts do you want? Some people do ok on a stripped down, bare bones boat with no creature comforts. Me...I want heat, AC, gas stove, refrigerated icebox, microwave, TV and to be able to take a hot shower. What do you require?
To you plan on staying in a marina or on a mooring?

WanderingStar 07-11-2012 07:54 PM

Everybody has their favorites, and there are too many models for specific recommendations. Your purchase will probably largely be determined by your budget. Start looking and ask about boats as you find them. Good luck, keep us posted.

cadteach 07-17-2012 08:16 AM

Good luck!

night0wl 07-17-2012 11:06 AM

Read this thread for some insight on why people live aboard:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living...mers-read.html

Hope you're well capitalized.

Cruisingdad 07-17-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaman5 (Post 895432)
I have always had a dream of living on a sailboat at some point in my life and looking into it very seriously now that i have recently turned 21. I started competing as a swimmer when i was 3 1/2 years old and ever since then my comfort place has always been by or in the water. Also these past two summers i have been working towards my dive-master certs and absolutely love it. I am very savvy when it comes to boats having been raised on the lake, but have no experience in sailing or sailboats; except a sailing trip to Catalina island when i was about 15.

I'm looking at boats anywhere from 25 to 30 feet, but i am kind of on a tight budget so i am planning on one that will need some elbow grease and love put into her. I actually prefer this too though because it will have that much more meaning to my dream.

I am looking for some suggestions and help with what to really look at when buying a used boat, and also what brands would best be suited for what I am looking for. To start i would be learning to sail, studying, and practicing, but once i am to this point i would mainly be using the boat in a lake but would want one that i will be able to take out in the ocean to travel in someday.

I appreciate any help and advise.
Thank you!
Jared

Go for it!!! I mean it.

In many respects, this is the time to try and get an old boat, fix it up, and get a different perspective on life. I assume you have no kids, no spouse (which actually can be a bad thing... but whatever), and no major career? Your responsibilities at 21 yo are to no one but yourself. When you are 40 and strapped with a mortgage, car payments, two careers, kids in school and college, etc - its a LOT harder to buy a boat and live on it. Most people never do, though they dream about it and look back at when they were 21 and which they had done it.

As was stated above, living on a boat is not cheap (in my opinion, others have creative means to get around it). Certainly living in an apartment is more stress free and easier. But living on a boat has its own unique bnefits, as you can imagine. And YOU get to choose your backyard.

Good luck in it all. Hope it works out.

Brian

PS I am moving this to General Discussion which I think it a better place for it.

flo617 07-17-2012 03:04 PM

I would begin with a membership to a sail club. Or if you can't find one, get a cheap dinghy. You can find some that are cheaper than the price of the resin you would need for a 30 foot fixer-upper.

Sailing a dinghy is more useful to learn wind and sails. Dinghies are also more forgiving and easy to repair if you misuse them.

Sailing on a dinghy is much more pleasant and will give you more satisfaction. You can use them to backpack around if your lake is large enough and can easily pull them on the beach. They are usually responsive and fun. The only thing that is important is that you know how to right yours if (when) it capsizes.

When you're ready and you know you enjoy sailing, sell it or give it away. Or maybe keep it and sail it while you work on your bigger boat.

Florent

Flybyknight 07-17-2012 05:28 PM

Wishing you all the luck and success in the world, in your hopes, dreams and aspirations.
BUT!:
Make absolutely certain that you have a workable Plan B

Dick

chuck53 07-17-2012 06:32 PM

It's been 5 days and we haven't heard from the OP yet.