Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: No A/C when motoring?

Not in production and he's really not saying anything about the machine itself.

"Published on Apr 3, 2012 by Manzar Qayyum

kabin Kool has devolved in 6 different model hot & cool air conditioners suitable to install in all kind of semi truck sleepers ,Boats and ambulances,Roof top and duel evaporator unit is for RVs,we also have 3 models in 9000 ,12000 and 18000 BTU for domestic,office and commercial use with solar power or DC batteries(to mitigate the load shading)"

He's not telling something, and that something is the load requirements Unless it missed it on the Vid.

No matter how you power it.. AC in those BTUH ranges need 3/4 to 1=1/2 HP this just is a fact.. it can of course be reduced and managed with scroll or rotary compressors that have very low starting torque.

Here's the specs on a typical 1 HP 12 volt motor;

Grainger Industrial Supply
Description: Permanent Magnet DC Totally Enclosed Fan-Cooled Motor, HP 1, RPM 1800, Armature DC Voltage 12 VDC, NEMA Frame 56C, Mounting Face/Base, Service Factor 1.00, Bearings Ball, Full Load Amps at Nameplate Volts 80.0, Thermal Protection None

80 amps! how long would that last on batteries? LOL

This guy at least is honest. says it runs 35- 50 amps

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-12-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I was hoping to see specs on the system as well, and the video indicated that he was running the unit on a couple solar panels that he showed on the top of the RV. Can't punch 80 amps from any solar panel that I know of.

I'll try to call the telephone numbers on the video and see if I can get that information.

Gary
Old 07-13-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

How about this kind of solution:

If worried about humidity, then you'll can run some kind of metal ductwork/tubing through the ice to keep it isolated from the ice.

To make/keep ice for the cooler, have one of these running *IN THE COCKPIT UNDER SHADE*
Amazon.com: NewAir AI100SS Portable Ice Maker: Appliances Amazon.com: NewAir AI100SS Portable Ice Maker: Appliances

I think the 12v icemaker debate has been had, and what resulted was crap. So best to run this badboy on an inverter. Someone measured that these portable icemakers take about 4-6 amps through an inverter. So, in the peak of your day, if you have solar panels, you should be generating more than enough amperage to run the icemaker to hopefully fill the ice chest/swamp chest with ice.

Then you can run with "A/C" enough to cool a decent size room with just a 12v fan

This seems like an interesting "dump load" project for those days your panels and windgen are cranking out amps with nowhere to go!

Last edited by night0wl; 07-13-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-13-2012

Then there's this option:

Looks pricey
Old 07-13-2012

aaaaaand finally, this option which would factor the humidity aspect of things:

Still need a way to generate ice/icewater for this system to work...and you have added amp draw of a water pump now.

Last edited by night0wl; 07-13-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-13-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Well, I called the telephone numbers on the video, the first one was some young girl who left a message saying she was not available. The second, (916)712-1314 was a guy that apparently invented the air conditioner, who sounded like he was from India, said to send him a text message to the telephone number, which I cannot do from my PC, or at least I don't know of a way to do it. I asked him if the unit was commercially available and he said yes, and please send him a text message.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 07-13-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

There were a couple of things about that "cabincool" video that looked sketchy. The big one was the use of a remote thermometer to make claims about exterior / interior temps. It's not like a real, analog thermometer is expensive or difficult to operate. It seemed clear to me that the huckster was taking the temperature of a dark-colored bit of metal on the side of the RV and claiming that was ambient air temperature. Note that the cameraman didn't even show you what the thermometer was pointing at, just the display. Then he pointed it at the guts of his gizmo and, oh look, there's some tiny thing down in there that is *really* cold (probably the evaporator itself), and finally points it into the maw of the conventional AC air vent and doesn't find any object in there that is more than ordinarily cool... Too fishy for me.
Old 07-13-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

There was a time when a 36,000 btu central air unit would draw nearly all of the 40 amps at 230 volts it was hooked up for. Now.. they run on about 9 -12 amps for the same capacity.. while they have made great strides in HP vs capacity. They still need a good share of HP to handle any kind of capacity.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2012

NickPapagiorgio is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies... I didn't think about the power output or cooling size requirements of the boat v. a car, but I guess that answers my question. I know a generator can be used but I just figured it would be simpler to just use the boat's engine. I guess I was wrong. I'm sure there's a way to do it on certain boats, depending on the size of their engine, but I don't think a one-size-fits-all approach is feasible.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 07-20-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I have an emergency, 8,000-watt generator at home. It's powered by a 5-HP, air cooled engine. When we were without power last summer I was able to run a 10,000 BTU air conditioner, lights and a TV with no problem at all. That 10,000 AC unit cooled 1,450 square feet in no time at all. (snipped)
Hi Gary,

Think you missed a digit when reading the data on you 8 kw genny at home. It's physically impossible to generate 8 kw with 5 hp. 1 hp = ~746 watts, or just shy of 11 hp for 8,000 watts. And that conversion is at 100% efficiency, which is also impossible, as there are always losses in any conversion of energy. Typical 8 kw gensets have 15 hp engines.

That said, most moderate sized boat A/C systems are only 6 to 8kbtu, or 1/2 - 1/3 ton, and shouldn't be any problem to run on a 2 kw or larger genset.